The Sleep And Insomnia Thread

soon

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

lol! Well to be fair, nothing is more annoying than someone snoring blissfully away when oneself is tossing and turning in misery :lol:

I dont snor - thats a rumour! :lol:

Yeah its true though.  But still disorienting to wake up well rested for first time in entire life to the serenity of nature and the rage of a scorned human.

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Same older brother... had to be taken out of theatre :lol:

Awwww, lol! Remember the movie Quasimodo, the black and white one? I think my brother saw it when he was about 8.. cried his little eyes out at how mean everyone was to Quasimodo. :wub:

Edited by Whiskey Rose

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Awwww, lol! Remember the movie Quasimodo, the black and white one? I think my brother saw it when he was about 8.. cried his little eyes out at how mean everyone was to Quasimodo.

It rings a bell - and Im not even kidding - because I think my brother references it to the day.

• GNFNR 1

Great thread idea.

4 hours ago, alfierose said:

I can sleep fine most of the time. My biggest problem is that I don't like going to bed, unless I'm ill or particularly tired I feel at my best in the early hours so I push it further than I should. I'm a bit anti social at heart so I like having a silent house all to myself and this rarely happens before midnight.

I slightly regret it every single morning but never learn. :lol:

This is kind of my issue. Not the antisocial bit, as I live by myself. My problem is that I'm a major night owl. I work in schools, so this is totally fine during the breaks in the school year, when I can stay up and sleep in as late as I want. I struggle a lot during the school year though because I just can't get myself to bed at a decent hour. On the occasion that I do make it to bed at a good time, I have a hard time falling asleep because I can't turn off my brain. I just end up thinking about how weird life is or wanting to check things out online for a while. Then my most sound sleep isn't until right before my alarm is gonna go off. I roll out of bed super tired, and promise myself that I'll go to sleep earlier that night, but it just doesn't happen. Womp womp. I take melatonin pretty frequently, but I'm not sure it makes a difference. If anything, it might just have a placebo effect on me at this point. 

Anyways, thank goodness for the weekends and breaks in the school year. TGIF, motherfuckers.

8 hours ago, soon said:

My biggest success at improving my sleep is taking magnesium.  Magnesium helps the body stay asleep.  Its also essential to help the body absorb calcium and calcium aides in falling asleep.  Good news: dark chocolate is very high in magnesium.  As little as two squares gets you started with a good percent of your daily value.

Never heard of magnesium as something that could help before. I think I'll try this dark chocolate trick. In the name of science, of course.

12 minutes ago, olga said:

Anyways, thank goodness for the weekends and breaks in the school year. TGIF, motherfuckers.

Never heard of magnesium as something that could help before. I think I'll try this dark chocolate trick. In the name of science, of course.

hahahahaha!  TGIF indeed!

Just try and use as high of percent dark chocolate as you can so that there isnt too much sugar.  I go 80% and it seems fine, although I do use the spray too.  Have it with some milk or calcium as you judiciously pursue this in the name of science ;)

PS: glad you ike the tread idea, thanks for saying so :)  

• Like 1

Sleep has always been tough for me. I'm diagnosed with "Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder", which is supposed to mean that my circadian rhythm doesn't take cues properly from sunlight and my sleep cycle is therefore delayed some hours ahead of what is considered "normal" (it sounds like half of the population has this to some degree). It really fucked me up in high school, i walked around like a zombie every day. Being sleep deprived for a long stretch of time always made me depressed, I think others experience the same. Luckily It's not as bad in college though since I have been able to choose later classes.

To treat it, I was told to buy a light box, which is just a big very bright special light bulb meant to replicate sunlight or some shit, and I had to hang out around it for 20 minutes in the morning, bringing my wakeup time one hour back every two days until it was at an optimal time. Also melatonin at night. The weird thing was how effective the light box worked. After just two days of using the light box at 7:30, i would wake up automatically at that time with no alarm, right on the dot. Unfortunately I would also get tired and fall asleep at "normal" times, like 10-11pm, which is really just an unacceptable lifestyle for me, so I stopped doing the whole thing. So I can't complain really, I have the ability to fix it but instead opt for the sleep deprivation every day.

I'm also prescribed Ambien, what a fucking drug, in terms of "weirdness" it truly is up there with any hallucinogenic. Can't believe my doctor prescribed me that when I was 16.

P.s. air conditioning currently broken in my house, so fucking hard to sleep when it's this hot

Edited by Jakey Styley

8 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Sleep has always been tough for me. I'm diagnosed with "Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder", which is supposed to mean that my circadian rhythm doesn't take cues properly from sunlight and my sleep cycle is therefore delayed some hours ahead of what is considered "normal" (it sounds like half of the population has this to some degree). It really fucked me up in high school, i walked around like a zombie every day. Being sleep deprived for a long stretch of time always made me depressed, I think others experience the same. Luckily It's not as bad in college though since I have been able to choose later classes.

To treat it, I was told to buy a light box, which is just a big very bright special light bulb meant to replicate sunlight or some shit, and I had to hang out around it for 20 minutes in the morning, bringing my wakeup time one hour back every two days until it was at an optimal time. Also melatonin at night. The weird thing was how effective the light box worked. After just two days of using the light box at 7:30, i would wake up automatically at that time with no alarm, right on the dot. Unfortunately I would also get tired and fall asleep at "normal" times, like 10-11pm, which is really just an unacceptable lifestyle for me, so I stopped doing the whole thing. So I can't complain really, I have the ability to fix it but instead opt for the sleep deprivation every day.

I'm also prescribed Ambien, what a fucking drug, in terms of "weirdness" it truly is up there with any hallucinogenic. Can't believe my doctor prescribed me that when I was 16.

P.s. air conditioning currently broken in my house, so fucking hard to sleep when it's this hot

I never heard of that Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder, thanks for sharing that.  I bet a lot of people suffer that - maybe me too.  That light box thing sounds like wizardry or something :lol: But at the same time it makes perfect sense.  I might have to bring this up with my Dr.

I was the same in high school - so tired and ended up depressed as a result.

Glad to here that things are better with your current schools schedule.  The you can now choose to be sleep deprived!

Was Ambien ever hard on the stomach or anything?

Hope you get to sleep in last nights heat!

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Smoke a zoot.

I figure thats a joint?  Theres actually a science show on the radio playing right now about how cannabis can throw off REM cycles at detriment to people.  For me personally, its helped in some periods of life.  Mostly if I vape hours before bed and then the burn out helps with sleep.  I don't really like being high though, especially not in day time.  

For me sativa strains can help but hybrids and indica make sleep even harder.  Recently I had some quality White Widow - in attempt to knock my self out for sleep - and it woke me up in the middle of night with a high energy buzz.  I couldn't stay still and had to get up and go for walk.  

A liquid extract of well calibrated low-THC medical, high-CBD strains would no doubt help me with the aches and pains part of my sleeping difficulties - just cant get my hands on any.

35 minutes ago, soon said:

I figure thats a joint?  Theres actually a science show on the radio playing right now about how cannabis can throw off REM cycles at detriment to people.  For me personally, its helped in some periods of life.  Mostly if I vape hours before bed and then the burn out helps with sleep.  I don't really like being high though, especially not in day time.  

For me sativa strains can help but hybrids and indica make sleep even harder.  Recently I had some quality White Widow - in attempt to knock my self out for sleep - and it woke me up in the middle of night with a high energy buzz.  I couldn't stay still and had to get up and go for walk.  

A liquid extract of well calibrated low-THC medical, high-CBD strains would no doubt help me with the aches and pains part of my sleeping difficulties - just cant get my hands on any.

Every weed i ever smoked put me in the mood for sleep if i go to bed on it.  I have heard stuff like that, that you ain't really asleep on weed you aint really sleeping proper but hey, if it goes quack and looks like a duck, its a duck to me.  Honestly, i cant tell the difference between all these strains and shit, every time i pick up my boy tells me what it is but I'm fucked if i can tell the difference, i can just tell good from bad and thats by smelling it.  

36 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I usually sleep five to six hours at working days. But it's not easy for me because I prefer to be awake during the night.

Its been really helpful to me having it pointed out that we can simply prefer to be awake at night.  And for me alone too.

For myself this is a good jump off point for some exploration.

Does five hours work for you or are you left tired?

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Every weed i ever smoked put me in the mood for sleep if i go to bed on it.  I have heard stuff like that, that you ain't really asleep on weed you aint really sleeping proper but hey, if it goes quack and looks like a duck, its a duck to me.  Honestly, i cant tell the difference between all these strains and shit, every time i pick up my boy tells me what it is but I'm fucked if i can tell the difference, i can just tell good from bad and thats by smelling it.  

Its helped me sleep sometimes too, but not recently.  Im more likely to get inspired to get out the construction paper and glue stick to start a cut and paste art project that takes me all night these days :lol:

To everyone suffering from insomnia, have you tested getting up at the same early time every damn morning, for a long time? Say getting up at 6 am every day for a month, with no exceptions. I strongly believe in anchoring the morning to a fixed time. Eventually your body will learn to be ready to sleep in the late evening due to plain sleep deprivation. It's not a pleasant thing to do, but for most people it should work.

All these remedies, herbal stuff, medicines, etc, reminds me of people who try to lose weight by fancy diets instead of just eating less and exercising more. There is no point in overcomplicating this. Go with the obvious. Stick to a strict rhythm so your body understands when it is supposed to sleep and be awake, and have good evening habits that help you to prepare for sleep, and for most people this should work.

I have made an effort so say "most people", because of course there are syndroms and illnesses that affect a few people and can make this impossible. But for the great majority of people this should all work. 

25 minutes ago, soon said:

Its been really helpful to me having it pointed out that we can simply prefer to be awake at night.  And for me alone too.

For myself this is a good jump off point for some exploration.

Does five hours work for you or are you left tired?

I'm struggling a bit to get through the day after five hours of sleep but I'm fine after six hours. 

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, soon said:

I never heard of that Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder, thanks for sharing that.  I bet a lot of people suffer that - maybe me too.  That light box thing sounds like wizardry or something :lol: But at the same time it makes perfect sense.  I might have to bring this up with my Dr.

I was the same in high school - so tired and ended up depressed as a result.

Glad to here that things are better with your current schools schedule.  The you can now choose to be sleep deprived!

Was Ambien ever hard on the stomach or anything?

Hope you get to sleep in last nights heat!

It was like $70 I think, there was a specific brightness stat that my sleep doctor told me it must have. 

Ambien usually makes me at least a little nauseous, it makes your vision twirl and stuff so its disorienting. I've had to puke a handful of times on it, but often that has been because one pill impairs your judgment and makes you think it's a good idea to take 2 more. To me, there's no way to experience the sleep effects of Ambien without also tripping hard, so now I only keep getting them so I can take one every once in a while for a fun night.

Smoking helps me get to sleep a little but I never feel truly well rested the following day.

9 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

It was like $70 I think, there was a specific brightness stat that my sleep doctor told me it must have. 

Ambien usually makes me at least a little nauseous, it makes your vision twirl and stuff so its disorienting. I've had to puke a handful of times on it, but often that has been because one pill impairs your judgment and makes you think it's a good idea to take 2 more. To me, there's no way to experience the sleep effects of Ambien without also tripping hard, so now I only keep getting them so I can take one every once in a while for a fun night.

Smoking helps me get to sleep a little but I never feel truly well rested the following day.

$70 sounds alright to get results for better sleep.  Thanks for details.  Gonna look into this. 

Ha - Ambien for a fun night!  I was worried Ambien might have those effects.  Especially the vomiting is something that I just cant sign up for.  

The older i get the more lethargic I feel the day after smoking.

About sleep drs.  I dont know if you had to sleep a night at a clinic, but I did that once.  They observe and monitor you.  Later I became friends with a guy - a kinda gothic, punk, horror guy - and discovered he'd been the one watching me sleep.  Eternally creeped out by this!

try melatonin as it is a natural hormone that the body produces to control sleep cycles...... I usually have no problem falling asleep but on those days I am wired I take between 3-6mg an hour before bedtime and it makes me sleepy.....you can buy it over the counter here in the US anywhere that sells vitamins.....works great for me and no next day grogginess as long as I get 6-7 hours sleep......