Into The Wild

wolfenhawk

So not exactly a 2017 release but Into the Wild (2007) is an absolute fantastic movie based on a true story.  My personal rating for this movie is a 9.5 out of 10.

After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life.

1 hour ago, wolfenhawk said:

So not exactly a 2017 release but Into the Wild (2007) is an absolute fantastic movie based on a true story.  My personal rating for this movie is a 9.5 out of 10.

After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life.

I think the movies well made with nice cinematography.  And though I would've preferred Eddie Vedder have his PJ bandmates to edit him a bit on the soundtrack, I like how the film comes together.  I gotta say though that IMO theres a major flaw in the storytelling.  The film sure tries to pronounce some sorta layers of both compassion and criticism of the dude, but I think the lens is ultimately flawed.  For me it actually elevates the hubris of an extremely privileged youth (like $24 000 savings after University??!?!) to a touchstone of 'noble intentions.'  I think he was a dick.  No good intentions: just a self-righteous dick.  Plenty of young people are into survival, bushcraft, wildcrafting and simplicity - but they dont disrespect the wilderness nor their elders like this guy.  The characters don't all shape his life imo - he ignores some of their wisdom

Spoiler

and shapes his own death

Again, I know the film attempts to frame it from may perspectives, but ultimately I think the frame is wrong.  But my rating would still be fairly high for the film.  More like an 7.5 given what to me is a fundamental flaw in storytelling.  

• Like 1

I liked the film, nice soundtrack, Eddie's songs definitely fit the mood most of the time.

That kid was obviously very naive to do what he did in the end, but it's hard knowing what he was really all about just from the movie. I should read the book one day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

only read the book, not seen the movie.

don' know what the fuss is all about. seemed kinda boring and had to drag me through the book (since i have this obsession with half read books on the shelf).

for something more exciting and / or inspiring, i recommend "fear and loathing in las vegas" and "hell's angels" (both by hunter thompson). or hell, any of our gunner's books: slash, steven or duff are all far more interesting and real page turners.