Mysterious Music Stars

oldnews

anybody got any good stories about mysterious rock stars ? bands like Slipknot and Ghost had the anonymous kind of thing going until their identities were revealed.

The Snowmen who sang the christmas song Hokey Cokey are still unknown to this day

The Rapper Mr. Fantastik still remains a mystery

that's all i've got, any one got anymore?

Edited by oldnews

I always thought that kind of thing was a way of masking an amazingly unspectacular personality.  Buckethead I suppose is an obvious one.  Its all a bit of a cocksuck in the end cuz i mean, what are you gonna find out?  If there was any good reason to hide yourself you wouldnt go about doing it openly, would you?

The best ones i think are the ones where you know who they are but not a lot about what they’re really like.  Jim Morrison had a bit of that, no one really has a good idea of what ‘the REAL Jim’ was really like.  I mean theres lots of stories but they all conflict a fair bit.  Yknow, enigmatic people like that.  Gram Parsons was a touch like that.  Mick Jagger is to a point but not really, hes just a guarded personality I think.  I understand this isn’t really what you’re talking about though, apologies.

On 10/7/2017 at 2:21 PM, Len Cnut said:

I always thought that kind of thing was a way of masking an amazingly unspectacular personality.  Buckethead I suppose is an obvious one.  Its all a bit of a cocksuck in the end cuz i mean, what are you gonna find out?  If there was any good reason to hide yourself you wouldnt go about doing it openly, would you?

The best ones i think are the ones where you know who they are but not a lot about what they’re really like.  Jim Morrison had a bit of that, no one really has a good idea of what ‘the REAL Jim’ was really like.  I mean theres lots of stories but they all conflict a fair bit.  Yknow, enigmatic people like that.  Gram Parsons was a touch like that.  Mick Jagger is to a point but not really, hes just a guarded personality I think.  I understand this isn’t really what you’re talking about though, apologies.

cheers for the reply. I think this list kinda covers what your saying https://listverse.com/2016/12/10/10-most-mysterious-musicians-of-all-time/ and another that would fit your list perfectly would be Bowie. When I was a kid I thought he was actually from Mars! 

I'm more interested by things that became mysterious I guess and not so much the ones like Ghost or Buckethead as they seem a little attention seeking, same goes for the pop singer SIA who didn't make it until she came up with a mystery gimmick.

The rapper Mr Fantastik is a good one, he appears with MF Doom but you do get the impression MF Doom enjoys keeping his collaborators identity a secret

Edited by oldnews

While not a mainstream artist (he's an outsider artist), it doesn't get anymore mysterious than Jandek. He's been performing since 1978 and did only one official interview back in 1985 for the first issue of Spin magazine. He only started performing live around 5 or 6 years ago. Live performances are different than what he records (live shows are all improvised). He's released about 50 or 60 albums. Some are solo acoustic, some electric, full band, whatever comes to his mind.

Track down the documentary about him called "Jandek On Corwoord" that came out about 10 years ago. Here's the trailer for it.

And here is a sample track

• Like 1

This album claims to have been recorded with the people at various secret camps of terrorists, revolutionaries, militants, and otherwise secret and subversive groups.  No idea if this is true - but the album is varied by language and musicality.  The album is called Tourrists, which I take as a play on the words tourist and terrorist being combined.

I mean its all over youtube, so how secretive could the back story really be, right?  The main artist is no secret, but allegedly the songs and accompaniment are by secret people.

(note: dont visit porest website if you are prone to seizure or vulnerable to flashing lights)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

While not a mainstream artist (he's an outsider artist), it doesn't get anymore mysterious than Jandek. He's been performing since 1978 and did only one official interview back in 1985 for the first issue of Spin magazine. He only started performing live around 5 or 6 years ago. Live performances are different than what he records (live shows are all improvised). He's released about 50 or 60 albums. Some are solo acoustic, some electric, full band, whatever comes to his mind.

Track down the documentary about him called "Jandek On Corwoord" that came out about 10 years ago. Here's the trailer for it.

And here is a sample track

Never heard of this, thanks

21 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

How can we have a mysterious music stars thread and not mention The Residents? They aren't really a band but an artist collective that branch not only into music but film, and performance art. Nobody even knows what any of the members look like.

awesome, thanks a new one for me

I suppose Kiss were the pioneer 'masked character band' before they unmasked in 1983. I think there were a few exposes during their heyday, pictures from this shoot,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp5eh9quv3OJvwdZEOY87

They generally were good at keeping a lid on things though.

Then when they did finally unmask - well, see for yourself,

rs-127658-20131213-kiss6-x1800-138696839

Ironically they are probably wearing more make-up there then in the 1970s haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suppose Kiss were the pioneer 'masked character band' before they unmasked in 1983. I think there were a few exposes during their heyday, pictures from this shoot,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp5eh9quv3OJvwdZEOY87

They generally were good at keeping a lid on things though.

Then when they did finally unmask - well, see for yourself,

rs-127658-20131213-kiss6-x1800-138696839

Ironically they are probably wearing more make-up there then in the 1970s haha.

I heard that after seeing The New York Dolls they gave up on glam cuz they thought they couldn't top em.

I liked all the weirdness mystery of the White Stripes when they first came out.

Mudvayne were a Ghost/Slipknot type of mysterious when they came out, all anonymous and different type of masks and face paint.

All that's kinda gimmicky stuff though. Warren Zevon always had a mysterious vibe about him. Hank Williams Jr too back in the day. After he disappeared from the country scene to get away from his fathers shadow, then falling off a mountain and destroying his face and stories from he was dead to he was the elephant man, which led to his initial outfit of beard and big shades and big hat to cover his face, which sorta became a gimmick itself.

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I heard that after seeing The New York Dolls they gave up on glam cuz they thought they couldn't top em.

You mean when they were trashy glam, before they became cartoon character glam? I know they were inspired by the Dolls. Here is a photo of them from that period, when they were called Wicked Lester,

fceea11dc679045d1942a73ab53deeda--kiss-r

On 10/11/2017 at 12:20 AM, Jabberwocky said:

Zero Kama - The Secret Eye of L.A.Y.L.A.H.

Very mysterious ritual/tribal ambient release. Supposedly all of the instruments were human bones.

is he the same Michael Dewitt that was Frances Bean Cobain's nanny? aka the guy in drag on the Nirvana - In Utero CD

• 1 month later...