Am I the only big Chinese Democracy fan who feels that Axl should drop the CD songs now?

I loved Chinese Democracy when it came out. I still like it now, although I haven't really played it in a good number of years, as I'm a little worn out on GNR's back catalogue.

The last time I was genuinely interested by anything this band did, was watching Slash play on the CD-era songs for the first time. It was surreal and kind of fun watching him tackle songs like TIL, Better and the title track, but the novelty soon wore pretty thin. And now, instead of increasing the amount of CD songs in the set, I really feel it's time for Axl to let go of that era in his life.

Maybe keep the title track in the set, as it's an easy song to sing, and God knows he needs every one of them he can get. But 2016-17 should really have been about focusing on the original band. Songs like Bad Obsession, Locomotive, Dead Horse and Breakdown should've been played before anything on Chinese Democracy. Not to mention that a great deal of CD-era tracks are very hard to sing, and he struggles doing justice on most of them these days. All of those UYI tracks I just listed would be far easier on the voice for Axl to perform, and yet he insists on keeping songs in the set that he struggles with on a nightly basis.

By 2017, the album has more than had it's fair share of coverage by the band, Axl has done everything he can to get these songs known and appreciated in a live setting and the band should now focus on moving on from that chapter. If Axl still gets a buzz from performing newer songs live, then here's a radical idea, release a new fucking album with this lineup.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Agreed. I do happen to like a couple of songs but not many. Id like to see him just drop those songs but keep CD and Better, everything else i say take out and replace with songs like pretty tied up, dead horse, you're crazy, think about you, locomotive. I genuinely think the crowd becomes really bored when any of those songs get played...although this has nothing to do with CD they should drop yesterdays and coma and KOHD including band jams and boring solos its so long and drawn out it is sleep inducing i'd be happy to not hear any CD songs other than CD and Better and be happy to never hear coma and yesterdays live. 

It didnt get well over with fans so theres no point even keep shoving it down our throats every night. TIL, KOHD, Coma, Band Jams ect. Are dead weight in a good setlist, drop 'em and replace with good songs and people (i know i) would be much happier. A few slow songs but classics and keep the crowd pumped. I could also be happy to never listen to half that CD live again aswell. 

I love Chinese Democracy and I love the Slash versions too but it's really interesting how these songs have defined the second half of Axl's career.

Even after spending 15 years on the album, once it was released the next project seemed to be creating remixes and alternative versions with DJ and Bumble.

Now well into the reunion, and the thing that they experiment with is still these songs.

I love the songs but it's really strange in a way.

I'd love to see Axl move on and launch a new creative era.

• Like 3

The cd album is not for me and ive tried to listen witb an open mind. When the band played in sydney everytime a cd song came on they looked either disappointed or just wanted the band to hurry up and play the next song....i didnt see alot of interest and i was surrounded by fans of all ages. 2 cd songs would be enough considering axl has spent nearly 10 years touring and nuguns have toured aus twice. The fans wanted to either hear appetite or  illusions songs ....if axl hates songs off appetite then throw a bone from the alt setlist....perfect crime maybe. If i was seeing the band again i couldnt pony up the money for the amount of cd songs they are doing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tonto said:

What a nasty little time traveller you'd make.

:lol: True. It wouldn't be nice of me.

Don't get me wrong though, even though I prefered Axl's style and looks in the 80's/90's as opposed to this rock cliche skull/naked chick shtick he's got going on now my sole intention of this particular time travel would be his voice and quality of his overall performance. Not his weight, hair, clothes or anything else. 

People change. In mind and apperance. I accept that. But there are great singers out there doing their songs justice at 60+. Axl is not that old.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

Im happy with the CD songs loved seeing slash playing on This i love and i dont know what shows you saw but the two i saw the crowd does like TIL, id rather see covers go but thats not going to happen. I am just happy I got to see axl slash and duff together again

I'd rather hear anything off of Chinese Democracy than hearing Mr. Brownstone, Rocket Queen and an Illusions cover for the thousandth time :P

Axl should start doing like Bowie's Heathen tour, play Chinese Democracy in its entirety first, then play Appetite for Destruction in its entirety.  Maybe Knockin' and Patience as encore tracks.

That'd put butts in seats

Im happy wth the CD songs, but would take new tracks in there place.   On a related note, Axl sang cleaner on much of CD and the common theory is that this was to extend the life of his voice.  I agree that he struggles quite a bit on some CD content on NITL.  So was his CD voice a misguided effort to care for his voice or has something really gone wrong in an unforeseen way?

I don’t think they’ve been completely shoving CD down our throats. Most nights they only play 3 songs off the album, with an occasional 4th popping up in the encore. It’s very rare for them to do 5 CD songs nightly and the other night was more of an exception it seems. I enjoy CD but I really don’t feel like they’ve been shoving it down everyone’s throats as it really hasn’t been the main focus of the set and only a handful of the songs are played a night.

• Like 1

i like album versions of CD, Better and SOD but they sound bad in a live setting. the rest of the album is complete filler imo and doesnt belong in the set list. if they wanna play deep cuts then play deep cuts off the illusions... you know that double album that topped the charts back in the 90s? id much rather hear locomotive than fucking madagascar lol

59 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don’t think they’ve been completely shoving CD down our throats. Most nights they only play 3 songs off the album, with an occasional 4th popping up in the encore. It’s very rare for them to do 5 CD songs nightly and the other night was more of an exception it seems. I enjoy CD but I really don’t feel like they’ve been shoving it down everyone’s throats as it really hasn’t been the main focus of the set and only a handful of the songs are played a night.

Agreed but let's see what MSG's brings...Axl might of got a taste for it...He does "love playing those songs the most" live as he said in the China Exchange interview...Personally hope to see Madagascar stick around in the set until he gets it perfect ! (probably another 4 or 5 lol) 
Also what other tracks do we definitely know they've rehearsed off of C.D but not done live yet? Prostitute for sure, right? Anything else? 
I'd like to see Prostitute, Street Of Dreams and I.R.S from the remaining ones...Think the band could make them sound great ! 

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

i was saying from its inception and mystique which was fine for the 2002 period but to drag it on still now and to go on and on about it in interviews where nobody gives a flying fuck and for slash and duff to kiss axl's ass even more by learning the tunes inside out just gives him the type of recognition for his ego to justify the failure years of nu gnr