Am I the only big Chinese Democracy fan who feels that Axl should drop the CD songs now?

I'm a big fan of CD but after that rendition of Mads and TWAT I certainly don't want him to roll out any more from that album.  He can't handle the vocals and I don't like Slash's interpretations.  I'm sure Slash does his best, but clearly, those songs were not made for him; he has no emotional connection to them, and it shows. 

I think it's a blessing the tour is finally drawing to a close.  They've had a good run - too long a run truth be told.  I hope, after they take a break, that they get down to work on a new Guns album.  I'm still believing, though it's getting harder and harder to keep the faith, but I'm hanging in there.  

C'mon Axl, one more album for the road, eh? Pretty please? ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i was saying from its inception and mystique which was fine for the 2002 period but to drag it on still now and to go on and on about it in interviews where nobody gives a flying fuck and for slash and duff to kiss axl's ass even more by learning the tunes inside out just gives him the type of recognition for his ego to justify the failure years of nu gnr

That's GN'F'R for ya...Not quite like everyone else ;)
The circus sometimes is genius, most of the time, it's tired and repetitive...

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i was saying from its inception and mystique which was fine for the 2002 period but to drag it on still now and to go on and on about it in interviews where nobody gives a flying fuck and for slash and duff to kiss axl's ass even more by learning the tunes inside out just gives him the type of recognition for his ego to justify the failure years of nu gnr

I don’t understand what you mean by “go on and on” about it in interviews. In the Chinese Exchange Axl answered 2 questions about Chinese which took maybe 3 minutes in a 40 minute interview. There was one question about CD asked by the interviewer in the Brazil one and Duff, not Axl responded to an awkward question with saying he enjoyed CD. Chinese has hardly been the focus of the reunion or interviews and the questions asked are appropriate, as the album has a fair amount of mystique and people wondering Slash and Duff’s views on it.

So what if they’re supporting the album? Slash and Duff are being good friends of Axl- remember that they came to Axl and told him what songs they’d like to do off the album. Axl had nothing to do with forcing the current lineup to learn or do anything with the CD songs and would’ve most likely not pushed it if they were against it. Slash and Duff know how important it is to Axl. Slash gets Coma and DTJ back in the set along with his solo spots and Duff gets a solo spot as well and songs like Yesterday’s, My Michelle and UTLH are all in the mix for the old band fans. 

I don’t fault people for not enjoying Chinese songs but to say that they’re the main part of the set is just wrong. The other night was an exception with 5 songs being played but at most GN’R plays 3-4 songs off of Chinese usually. Appetite gets 8 songs and UYI each gets somewhere like 4-5. It’s 20 minutes of a 3.5 hour set. It’s not overpowering the tour, it’s not the focus and with a situation as awkward as Guns N’ Roses there had to have been some form of compromises made to have the NITL tour.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Here's a crazy thought: they're not really diving into the UYI stuff so they can play them top to bottom for a 2021 anniversary tour. How epic would that be?

The live debut of My World?  Sign me up :axl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don’t understand what you mean by “go on and on” about it in interviews. In the Chinese Exchange Axl answered 2 questions about Chinese which took maybe 3 minutes in a 40 minute interview. There was one question about CD asked by the interviewer in the Brazil one and Duff, not Axl responded to an awkward question with saying he enjoyed CD. Chinese has hardly been the focus of the reunion or interviews and the questions asked are appropriate, as the album has a fair amount of mystique and people wondering Slash and Duff’s views on it.

So what if they’re supporting the album? Slash and Duff are being good friends of Axl- remember that they came to Axl and told him what songs they’d like to do off the album. Axl had nothing to do with forcing the current lineup to learn or do anything with the CD songs and would’ve most likely not pushed it if they were against it. Slash and Duff know how important it is to Axl. Slash gets Coma and DTJ back in the set along with his solo spots and Duff gets a solo spot as well and songs like Yesterday’s, My Michelle and UTLH are all in the mix for the old band fans. 

I don’t fault people for not enjoying Chinese songs but to say that they’re the main part of the set is just wrong. The other night was an exception with 5 songs being played but at most GN’R plays 3-4 songs off of Chinese usually. Appetite gets 8 songs and UYI each gets somewhere like 4-5. It’s 20 minutes of a 3.5 hour set. It’s not overpowering the tour, it’s not the focus and with a situation as awkward as Guns N’ Roses there had to have been some form of compromises made to have the NITL tour.

haha duff and slash learnt or asked axl what songs he wanted cause they fucking know how obssessed he is about CD no other reason and are sensitive and in tune of axl's sensitivity towards his baby mama cry baby album 

duff interjected in the brazil interview re: CD to a question that actually meant to be about healing wounds, completely did not answer the question and went on a cringeworthy CD tangent

its like every question can be answered with CD such as what axl likes to play, being fan of the most failed lineup etc and on and on pumping up a failed album of proposperous proportions im not perfect but axl could've fed a few villages with all the money he squandared on that shit and still wants to keep it in the spotlight 

if he actually wanted the respect of any die hard he would shut the fuck up about CD and the whole failed nugnr era and write some new shit with slash and duff but they suck so much together they cant 

hence where is izzy 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

CD just wasn't very good and for the most part doesn't sound anything like Guns N' Roses.. The Guns N' Roses that put them on the top of the world that is. This partial return of THAT Guns N' Roses is what is making them boatloads of money and what is making this tour so successful.. CD has NOTHING to do with that.. Anyone that was into that stuff was already going and the majority of people going to those shows were going for the name or the old shit. I understand Axl poured his heart and soul into that record but it was for all intents and purposes and he probably didn't want to give up on that to make room for Slash and Duff.  That is all good but CD didn't appeal to many people.. They play a long ass set and there is certainly room for a couple of the songs but only a couple.. 3 is pushing it and 5 is fucking ridiculous.. Especially when there are TWO in the encore.  Sorry, but no CD songs deserve an encore spot. The songs just aren't that good for the most part. TWAT, Better and TIL are brutal and Slash and Duff don't make them any better. I do think the song CD fits in pretty good. They should do that and have one other spot in the set to rotate CD songs through. What makes it worse is that all their energy is spent learning those songs and not busting out some classic treats.. Their catalog isn't huge but they still have a decent amount of songs they could bust out to shake it up a bit.

Think About You
Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Move To The City
You're Crazy.. Fast or slow.. Preferably slow
Mama Kin
Pretty Tied Up
Dust N' Bones
Bad Obsession
Back Off Bitch
Down On The Farm
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
Get In The Ring
Breakdown
Locomotive
So Fine

If Izzy were around they could do 14 years as well.. 

Some may be tough to sing but they can't sound any worse than the CD songs.. Seeing 5 CD songs in the set was pretty disheartening the other day.  I want to love this band so much but there are just too many parallels to the NuGuns era.. They are almost borderline likable at times. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 4

It doesn't have to be either/or.

What would be really great, musically and psychologically, would be a new era for the band - new songs from a new album.

The songs from CD wouldn't have to be put in with the garbage entirely, they currently do like 9 covers or something - so you could keep 2 songs from CD a night and still have room for 2 or 3 new songs plus the usual selection of well known hits.

6 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Exactly. I think he more than likely feels like the album wasn't given a fair chance and didn't get the amount of hype and attention that his earlier albums got - which would be strange since it was one of the most anticipated albums in history. It's really on him why the album ultimately flew under the radar - waited too damn long to release it. It would have been a blockbuster album in 2002. 

It's a tricky situation. He has to justify essentially 20 years of separation and the breakup of the band with this album - were the artistic merits of Chinese worth breaking up the best rock band of its generation? If he just dumped the chinese tracks off the setlist, it would only confirm what a colossal mistake the last 20 years were. He's damned either way. 

3 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

haha duff and slash learnt or asked axl what songs he wanted cause they fucking know how obssessed he is about CD no other reason and are sensitive and in tune of axl's sensitivity towards his baby mama cry baby album 

duff interjected in the brazil interview re: CD to a question that actually meant to be about healing wounds, completely did not answer the question and went on a cringeworthy CD tangent

its like every question can be answered with CD such as what axl likes to play, being fan of the most failed lineup etc and on and on pumping up a failed album of proposperous proportions im not perfect but axl could've fed a few villages with all the money he squandared on that shit and still wants to keep it in the spotlight 

if he actually wanted the respect of any die hard he would shut the fuck up about CD and the whole failed nugnr era and write some new shit with slash and duff but they suck so much together they cant 

hence where is izzy 

Boom. The ending of this post was a knockout punch. :lol:

The part of that interview that was cringeworthy was Axl saying that he was a big fan of the previous lineup. Not the buckethead lineup, not the billy howerdel/josh freese lineup, no no - the DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot lineup. The guys who had almost nothing to do with the conception of Chinese Democracy and who played the songs the worst live. :facepalm:

Hmmm... I think this formation should play street of dreams. I see that song as Slash-friensly.

And I dont like how Slash plays the This I Love solo, big disappointment considering that song is so Slashy.

So... IDK. I like the album, but some songs like TWAT or Madagascar seems so off with this lineup. Even tho I love those songs so so so much

6 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I disagree.

I absolutely love the album and think it's really fucking cool to have Slash and Duff playing on the songs.

I think it's cool but I wish Duff and Slash were retooling the songs more. They're sticking fairly close to how those songs sound on the album - which I guess might be out of respect for Axl. Madagascar could really use some of that Slash magic though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

You're right, he could have fed a lot of people with that money. He shouldn't have made that album really, silly move, he should have just given the advance to starving people in Africa. Really, when you think about it, they could have given the advance for Appetite and Illusions to starving people in Africa too. Why bother creating anything? Let's just give everything away and sit on our collective arseholes (like you do) and bitch and moan for all eternity. 

Edited by Tonto
  • Haha 1

Personally I'm fine with the 4 they are playing since it is balanced with each of the UYI Albums, That being said there are 7 songs on CD id be willing to hear live without having issue, but the only way id be happy with 5 songs from CD being played would be if it was the following:

Better

Maddy

CD

Prostitute

TIL/Sorry/Catcher 

I quite honestly didnt like better but hearing it live it is so much better than studio. TIL was amazing in 2016 but this past year was much weaker. Ive heard catcher 2x live on this tour and it personally should fit into TIL's spot better based on how it sounded. Sorry is a song id love to hear. As for the rest of CD TWAT doesnt do it for me and the rest in general i can listen to at times but id rather hear UYI deep cuts. 

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

I think it's cool but I wish Duff and Slash were retooling the songs more. They're sticking fairly close to how those songs sound on the album - which I guess might be out of respect for Axl. Madagascar could really use some of that Slash magic though.

Where exactly is the Slash magic at songs like This I Love?

Edited by Sosso

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Very good point. :lol:

I like what he's doing with Sorry though...

Indeed. But I'm glad that Slash stood out of the way at Madagascar. His unnecessary shredding would've been out of place. At least at that song.

Edited by Sosso

I like the majority of CD so personally I wouldn't want it dropped but I do recognise how utterly stubborn Axl is about this one album that wasn't exactly a mainstream success. I sort of like that about him though. :lol::facepalm:

He is never going to drop it totally though because that would be him saying that 93 - 2015 was meaningless and he clearly doesn't view it that way. The best anyone hoping for less Chinese is going to get is if they release a new record and it gets relegated to 2 or 3 songs per show.