Leeds 2002

55 minutes ago, Dangom1 said:

Underrated show from the 2002 era imo, up there with rock am ring 2006, clean vocals sound great and some rasp aswell! Miss Bucket head and Finck! 

Opinions?

I always loved the version of Street of Dreams (The Blues) from this era. The guitar intro is far better than what we got on CD in my opinion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cooker said:

I always loved the version of Street of Dreams (The Blues) from this era. The guitar intro is far better than what we got on CD in my opinion.

If they play it with Slash I hope they play this version  ✌

2 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

Underrated show from the 2002 era imo, up there with rock am ring 2006, clean vocals sound great and some rasp aswell! Miss Bucket head and Finck! 

Opinions?

I flew to England for the show and it was worth it.

I remember vividly being nervous when Axl started talking about the curfew problem.

Prodigy were on before them and killed it.  Offspring were on before them and the singer made fun of Axl and his hair.

great GNR show!

Back when Axl would go on stage at 1am for no reason. I remember his rant about saying they wanted him to end the show because of a curfew...well shit Axl, go on stage on time and you wouldn't have to deal with that 

I'm glad he's no longer doing that shit

• Like 2

This was my first time seeing GnR despite being a massive fan since 1991/2.

I took along my girlfriend (now my wife) who was not into rock music at all (think Osmond's, Wham, [insert cheesy pop here]). 

When we arrived, Slipknot were playing and then we had Offspring, Prodigy etc. When GnR were mega-late, she looked at me as if to say "what the fuck have you brought me to" haha.

During the curfew arguement, I remember thinking "here we go!", particularly when Axl said something along the lines of "now, I'm not condoning a riot..."

Great show though, the opening riff to jungle sent a shiver down my spine.

Fantastic show- the atmosphere was off the scale- it seemed like very few GNR fans were there- maybe a couple of hundred of us right at the front, nervous as hell about whether they would show! Was both surreal and exciting. Looking back now it almost feels like it didn't happen- everything about it was so weird. Remember the guy that came out in a mask and did some weird nunchuck routine right behind Buckethead at one point? I never knew what was going on with that. 

Hearing the new stuff was off the scale too- first contact we'd had with it pretty much, as internet wasn't such a thing. 

Prodigy though-come on! They bombed sooooo badly that even the band gave an interview sayig they wanted to split after that show! Was grim. They seem to have picked themselves up since though. I remember a guy stood next to me in a Prodigy shirt saying he was embarrassed to have worn it! 

10 hours ago, ericy210 said:

I flew to England for the show and it was worth it.

I remember vividly being nervous when Axl started talking about the curfew problem.

Prodigy were on before them and killed it.  Offspring were on before them and the singer made fun of Axl and his hair.

great GNR show!

Just checked the lineup. What a great lineup in general:

2002_0.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite GNR Era.  I'm only remember VMA show, but after I truly discover GNR, the 2002 line-up was my favourite. The level of excitement and fresh take on this songs makes that it's the only bootlegs that I'm listening. A

And what's more it opened my eyes an ears for a lot of great (not necessary rock) music.

Edited by loko
  • Like 2

Single greatest line up in the band's history right there. Every show they did in that era was pretty fantastic, so much energy from everyone involved, so many different personalities and styles. God I wish that line up had stayed together.

That scream in Live and Let Die was really something. 2002 was a very odd era for the band. If I remember rightly, there hadn't been any performances between 1994-2001, so GN'R were finding their feet, while Axl had become somewhat of a tabloid magnet for all the wrong reasons, and a complete joke in the rock world. But that very random show at Leeds Fest of all places was really important for the British fans, and proved what we believed in was worth it. I didn't discover GN'R until two years later, and was insanely jealous of my friend who was at the Leeds gig, as the UK didn't see another show until 2006 after that. 

I was front center on the barrier and it really was such a weird, crazy feeling and time. I mean, there were probably less than a 100 people in the vast crowd who'd heard or seen a thing from Rio 3 or House of Blues and i'm down there on my own losing my shit singing along to Madagascar and getting some really freaked out looks from Tommy and Axl.

The only time on Madasgacr he sang straight into the high part "..my way back, my way anymoooreeoooreoooreooeeIIIIIIIIIIIII...! Sounds so good I wish it was a thing. 

And as Diesel surprisingly pointed out, really lush solo by Bucket.

For the purposes of enjoying the reunion and current shows I have to not think about this era too much because the thought of what Axl and Bucket could have done together, regardless of whoever else was in the band at any one time, just drives me insane. 

26 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

That scream in Live and Let Die was really something. 2002 was a very odd era for the band. If I remember rightly, there hadn't been any performances between 1994-2001, so GN'R were finding their feet, while Axl had become somewhat of a tabloid magnet for all the wrong reasons, and a complete joke in the rock world. But that very random show at Leeds Fest of all places was really important for the British fans, and proved what we believed in was worth it. I didn't discover GN'R until two years later, and was insanely jealous of my friend who was at the Leeds gig, as the UK didn't see another show until 2006 after that. 

Not true- they played the (now bulldozed) London Docklands Arena a couple of days later. That was another odd show- quite a small arena, Axl had a huge rant about a review of their Leeds show he'd read which described him as 'as big as a house'. I went to that too- was a very surreal weekend, having seen them after so long in the wilderness. 

What was really strange was how little anticipation or hype there was about the shows outside of a very few fans. I'm not sure they even sold out the Docklands show (I could be wrong on that). The shows had come after two tours (both of which I had tickets for) that just never happened, and never got rescheduled. The second time the tour got cancelled it became the one night at the Docklands. I think that got announced before Leeds actually, but again I could be wrong on that. 

I often wonder how many other people spent all three days at Leeds, then packed up and got the train straight to London. I remember leaving stupidly early and I was pretty much the only person awake on the whole Leeds festival site, trudging along on my own with my bags! No buses running so wandered down country lanes for hours to get to the city centre and down to London.  I did it all on my own- looking back it seems madness, but those shows stand out as something special to me. 

I agree that the potential for that lineup was immense. Still the best version of Nightrain I've ever heard. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2017 at 12:41 PM, Nicklord said:

Just checked the lineup. What a great lineup in general:

2002_0.jpg

Wow, helluva line up.  White Stripes.  Janes Addiction, too. Would have killed to see Prodigy, wonder how they were.

Am loving these anecdotes from those that were there, must have been amazing to see Axl again after being off the radar for so long.  Did he seem in good spirits at the time? (rant aside)  Also, what did fans make of Buckethead at the time? 

See above for the views on The Prodigy! Not a good time for them, by any means. I was at the barrier and the black guy in the band said to the other sing, off mike "oh shit, this isn't going very well is it?" I heard, and being a bit cocky shouted 'NO' at him. To his credit he laughed and said something along the lines of "don't worry we'll be off soon"! 

Axl seemed in good spirits in some ways, but there were a good few rants both nights. I think people were pretty confused by Buckethead and what was going on in general.