Let’s honestly talk about ticket prices...

Before I get in to this, I saw two shows on this tour. I paid a ton for nosebleeds in Philly last year, and I was thankfully comped by a radio friend for Hershey this year. So I’ve been at both extreme ends of the spectrum.

I’ve seen numerous people from the board do 10-15 shows on this tour. Always down front. Always in the pit. And if you can afford it, that’s great - but my question is how? What’s the secret?

I’m not rich. As a matter of fact, I live paycheck to paycheck. For me, it’s a matter of buying tickets (even nosebleeds since I’d have to buy a pair of tickets - one for my girlfriend), or being able to pay a bill (and I don’t live outside of my means), or even be able to buy groceries for the week. 

I’m not even faulting the band here - it’s clear that there’s plenty of people that can afford the tickets, so they may as well make as much as they can. 

My point is that there should be a relatively reasonable price point, even if it’s for the “cheap seats”, because as it stands, I doubt that I’ll be able to see anymore shows on this tour because I just simply don’t make enough money to be able to do so. I wouldn’t even be able to do the Hershey show if a friend didn’t come through at the last minute for me. 

Its the same reason why I came to the realiation a long time ago that I’ll never be able to see the Stones - they’ve priced the “common folks” like me out of the shows.

Some of this is definitely sour grapes on my end, I won’t lie - but having to miss out on seeing your favorite band(s) live simply because you can’t afford to is definitely a bitter pill to swallow.

/rant

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Before I get in to this, I saw two shows on this tour. I paid a ton for nosebleeds in Philly last year, and I was thankfully comped by a radio friend for Hershey this year. So I’ve been at both extreme ends of the spectrum.

I’ve seen numerous people from the board do 10-15 shows on this tour. Always down front. Always in the pit. And if you can afford it, that’s great - by my question is how?

I’m not rich. As a matter of fact, I live paycheck to paycheck. For me, it’s a matter of buying tickets (even nosebleeds since I’d have to buy a pair of tickets - one for my girlfriend), or being able to pay a bill (and I don’t live outside of my means), or even be able to buy groceries for the week. 

I’m not even faulting the band here - it’s clear that there’s plenty of people that can afford the tickets, so they may as well make as much as they can. 

My point is that there should be a relatively reasonable price point, even if it’s for the “cheap seats”, because as it stands, I doubt that I’ll be able to see anymore shows on this tour because I just simply don’t make enough money to be able to do so. I wouldn’t even be able to do the Hershey show if a friend didn’t come through at the last minute for me. 

Its the same reason why I came to the realiation a long time ago that I’ll never be able to see the Stones - they’ve priced the “common folks” like me out of the shows.

Some of this is definitely sour grapes on my end, I won’t lie - but having to miss out on seeing your favorite band(s) live simply because you can’t afford to is definitely a bitter pill to swallow.

/rant

Except the Stones do have options for people who can't shell out the big bucks - the Lucky Dip tickets. Basically, you get a pair of mystery tickets, and you don't know where your seats are until you pick the up the day of the gig. Some seats will be in the very last row of the nosebleeds, some in the front GA (Or front row if there's no GA). The thing is, the tickets are always cheaper than the cheapest tickets at face value. For the arena shows in 2013, they were $85 per ticket (Regular cheap seats were $110), and for the stadium shows in 2015 they were $29 (Cheap seats were about $40). So even if you get terrible seats, you always make out well financially. And there are actually good seats mixed in - for Toronto in 2013 I got a pair of pit tickets, which are $1500 at face value, and for the two shows in 2015 where I did Lucky Dip tickets I got in the highest price point, which was either $350 or $400 depending on the gig. In 2015 I saw four Stones shows for less than $300 (One of the other two didn't have Lucky Dip tickets, and the other one I had a large group of friends going to so we all opted for $100 tickets together). 

And GN'R needs to do something like that if they want to be able to fill these venues night in and night out. There have already been some stadium shows with upper levels closed - hell even in Philly, looking at some crowd pictures it looks like the upper bowl was only maybe 80-85% full, and that's in a 14,000 capacity arena. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Except the Stones do have options for people who can't shell out the big bucks - the Lucky Dip tickets. Basically, you get a pair of mystery tickets, and you don't know where your seats are until you pick the up the day of the gig. Some seats will be in the very last row of the nosebleeds, some in the front GA (Or front row if there's no GA). The thing is, the tickets are always cheaper than the cheapest tickets at face value. For the arena shows in 2013, they were $85 per ticket (Regular cheap seats were $110), and for the stadium shows in 2015 they were $29 (Cheap seats were about $40). So even if you get terrible seats, you always make out well financially. And there are actually good seats mixed in - for Toronto in 2013 I got a pair of pit tickets, which are $1500 at face value, and for the two shows in 2015 where I did Lucky Dip tickets I got in the highest price point, which was either $350 or $400 depending on the gig. In 2015 I saw four Stones shows for less than $300 (One of the other two didn't have Lucky Dip tickets, and the other one I had a large group of friends going to so we all opted for $100 tickets together). 

And GN'R needs to do something like that if they want to be able to fill these venues night in and night out. There have already been some stadium shows with upper levels closed - hell even in Philly, looking at some crowd pictures it looks like the upper bowl was only maybe 80-85% full, and that's in a 14,000 capacity arena. 

That’s probably the best solution, although there’s also the model that Garth Brooks uses these days, and that AC/DC has used in the past: each seat in the venue is the exact same price (for Garth, it works out to about $75 per ticket after fees), and it’s first come, first served. 

23 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

I’ve seen numerous people from the board do 10-15 shows on this tour. Always down front. Always in the pit. And if you can afford it, that’s great - by my question is how?

/rant

Im with you. The prices SUCK. $100 a nosebleed and they don't even offer many tickets in that price point. Awful. 

It used to be the entire upper bowl would be the cheapest price for a lot of these shows. Now you have like, 4-5 different price points a show depending on the band and usually they purposely leave only a few of the cheapest available. Its sickening. I defended these prices last year because the Vegas shows were the first shows back, and the stadium run did have some affordable options (around 60-80 before fees in good markets, and far less in slow markets with the price slashes). This arena tour SUCKS. They purposely hold back tickets or strategically release the best seats only as "platinum" options so you are kind of fucked either way. Want pit? Good luck! Want to score a pair in the back? Also good luck!

Im too weak willed to vote with my wallet. Im in that weird "omg GNR is coming!" mindset sadly even though Ive seen this tour 3 times last year, I know Axl sounds way worse, and I hate the price gauging. I bought a single ticket to Detroit at the lowest price point. No one wants to go with me because of the price. Lots of people even saw the concert here last year and loved it, but that doesn't mean they're going to pay more now. It'd also be one thing if GNR was selling every show out left and right, but they aren't. PLENTY of shows have had the upper deck half full or even closed off. Its clear the demand is out there, but these prices turn a lot of casual fans (and die hards) away. 

Oh well, it'll be a fun show but it sucks its 100 dollars a person before parking to get your foot in the door. Also, go see the Stones! They kick ass. They are another band that is sickening with prices. Worse than GNR. If you want to see them in an arena now, good luck. Mid tier face value tickets were like 750 for their Vegas shows last year which is vile, but if they come by in a stadium they may have Lucky Dip as P5 said. 

I saw them in an arena in 2013 and paid $200 to sit in the last row, and then they came by me in a stadium in 2015 and my dad and I got Lucky Dip seats for like 30-40 bucks a pop. Well worth it. GNR doesn't have anything like that. 

• Like 1

North America and Japan prices are nuts. Europeans prices were decent. My Golden Circle tickets for Stockholm, Prague, and Paris were all around £90 each ($120). London was almost £100 for regular pit tickets which is a little more than some other bands but not that much more for London.

• Like 2

I

40 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

I’ve seen numerous people from the board do 10-15 shows on this tour. Always down front. Always in the pit. And if you can afford it, that’s great - but my question is how? What’s the secret?

/rant

I hear ya man. What I've done for awhile now is just save up. My GNR fund is ahead of my vacation fund. I actually had an account with about $2000 in it before Vegas. I opened that account in 2002 just in case a reunion ever happened. I always said I'd make it there no matter what. 

Whats strange to me is when I go to these shows I see people that Ive seen at every other show. I ask them what they do for a living and the only answer I ever get is sales. lol I don't know what they're selling, but it must be good. 

• Like 1

The ticket prices are a direct result of the guaranteed pay days S/D/A are receiving and LiveNation recouping those costs through exorbitant ticket pricing.

Nostalgia = branding = money = profit.

I don't blame the the big three - but I do find them at the very least - tone deaf - and at the very worst - implicit in this ruse. 

• Like 1

Prices in North America are insane. I mean, in essence, it's just a night out. And I think you're right. A rock concert shouldn't be an elite thing, and at least in North America, it's turning out to be one. It's plain decadent to ask such prices. I know they can ask whatever they want if the people are willing to pay, bla bla bla, but that doesn't change the fact that it's pure decadence and utter greed and I find it despicable. It's a sad thing if the lower or even average earning fan can't afford to go to a show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It is a shame that some people will be priced out of seeing a show. I couldn't justify the higher priced tickets for London because they had no other UK dates so that meant travel and hotel costs on top of the ticket price. At £95 each they weren't the best seats but it was a compromise and I still had a great time. If they had played Manchester I would have paid more due to not needing an overnight stay.

It has become elitist in a way because the costs in some places are akin to seeing a Broadway show (I was shocked when I visited NYC at how much that cost :o). I guess the writing was on the wall so to speak when Coachella was initially announced as the first comeback show, I'm glad it wasn't the first show in the end as somewhere like that is probably quite alienating for a lot of fans.

I'm not sure how it will pan out in the future, if shows decline in sales numbers you would expect the prices to come down but it's not clear whether they will continue to tour beyond next year so it might have been a case of grab it while you can (which I guess they were banking on).

I doubt many people regret shelling out on a show but it's probably not a repeat experience for a lot. It could be argued that with fairly static setlist for each tour leg it wasn't really designed to be something you see more than once.

Guns N' Roses are ludicrously rich people and they want their audience to be comprised of ludicrously rich people. If you're on minimum wage or not much better? Hahahahaha, get the fuck outta here. They simply do not care. The most dangerous band in the world, folks.

I wonder if Duff for instance would have even ever been in a band if Johnny Thunders had been charging $80 a ticket when he was a lad. Rock is for the elite now, and that's why rock now sucks.

Edited by JoeyBananaduck
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The prices are ridiculous and there are so many examples of bands making their shows available to all price points, one way or another.  That said, I can think of many more fun and fulfilling things to do with $300-500 (and my time) then to watch my favourite band make a mockery of itself.  Pricing people out gives those same people perspective; on Mickey, greed, Frank, the absent members, noodling solos, stale set lists,  painfully immature t shirts, 'why the fuck do they play the outro to Layla every night' and what not.

• Like 2

The shows are selling out anyway. If they priced them lower they'd sell out even faster and end up around the same price they are now on resale sites.

On the other hand, I wish they would've been priced lower in Nashville so I could justify seeing them for the 3rd time on this tour lol

Edited by JimMorrison4

Re the question of 'how'?

I'm in a similar position - not rolling in money, married with a teenage son, can just about afford one or two meals out a month etc

However, I have £25 come out of my wage a month to go into a separate account. This is my 'boys fun' account. That can range from paying for large concerts such as these, to a weekend away.

It soon adds up and I don't miss it on a monthly basis

10 hours ago, Amir said:

North America and Japan prices are nuts. Europeans prices were decent. My Golden Circle tickets for Stockholm, Prague, and Paris were all around £90 each ($120). London was almost £100 for regular pit tickets which is a little more than some other bands but not that much more for London.

London was £175 golden circle. 

• Like 1

The prices are nuts. No question. But why did you pay "top dollar" for nosebleeds at the Linc?  There were seats available for $35. 

I went to that show. I also went to the MetLife night 2 for $25 (plus fees) because I got an email with a code since I went to a show before. 

Even this past show at the Wells Fargo Center had uppers in the $50 range. 

I would NEVER pay $250-275 for a ticket to anything. But there are cheaper options out there. 

3 minutes ago, mrw80 said:

The prices are nuts. No question. But why did you pay "top dollar" for nosebleeds at the Linc?  There were seats available for $35. 

I went to that show. I also went to the MetLife night 2 for $25 (plus fees) because I got an email with a code since I went to a show before. 

I would NEVER pay $250-275 for a ticket to anything. But there are cheaper options out there. 

I’m pretty sure that my nosebleeds (upper level on the left side of the stage) were at least $75 each. I paid about $150 for the pair after fees.

1 minute ago, The Real McCoy said:

I’m pretty sure that my nosebleeds (upper level on the left side of the stage) were at least $75 each. I paid about $150 for the pair after fees.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with you in theory. The prices have been disappointing if you're an average guy like you or me. But the reality is that the biggest tours (Stones, waters, etc) are similarly priced. It sucks. 

After Vegas next month I will have been to 5 shows this tour (Still working on adding a 6th ). I have been to that number of shows merely out of luck really. If gas were still $4.25 a gallon instead of $1.95 it would never happen as I have drove to every show so far (Kansas City, Chicago Night 2, St. Louis and Little Rock). I pick a price im willing to spend on a ticket and buy whatever I can afford. Chicago I paid 21 dollars for a nosebleed ticket and it was still an amazing show, that night was only like $175 bucks total for me and my girlfriend. Vegas was carefully planned. Bought nosebleeds through the box office for 75 each, roundtrip airfare from STL flying southwest was $215 each and our hotel Circus Circus is going to be like 225 total for 3 nights. Lucky for me my girlfriend is always willing to pay her own way for trips like this.

8 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Prices aren't terrible if you wait till the last minute. Sadly that creates a lot of uncertainty and it's hard to make plans around that. I'm considering an MSG show now. I found some tickets for $89. So I think that's decent. 

I got two MSG 100 each 2nd row. :heart:

5 hours ago, mrw80 said:

I don't think that's a fair criticism, though. When their tickets went on sale months ago, we had no idea how well they'd sell at 10AM on that first day. That's what happened to me for this MSG show.  I bought them at the presale (citibank, not Nightrain), and was super happy to get nosebleeds seats, because "at least I'll be in the building," and "this will definitely sell out, because it's at the Garden."  But as time wore on, I got madder and madder seeing how I could've waited.  

You just don't know what the demand is when the tickets go on sale.