Rate: 14 Years - "These Last 4 Years of Madness Sure Put Me Straight"

17 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

axl's piano work on this proves that there was zero need for dizzy, in fact it's the same dynamic as sorum vs adler as axl has a much better groove than dizzy and is very noticeable 

That's interesting you say that about Axl having more groove than Dizzy.

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for ten years." (Matt, 09/23/96)

Seems Axl had more potential as a musician than he was possibly given credit for - or gave himself credit for?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

seems like Duff and Matt were trYing REALLY HARD to please their boss in 1996

You’d think wouldn’t you? :lol:  Except by that stage Duff didn’t need to please Axl.  In fact, he, Slash and Matt were quite productive then; they’d written 16 songs (still no lyrics from Axl who continued not to show up or do anything remotely productive) and then Duff went off touring with Neurotic Outsiders.  Slash was recording music for a Tarentino soundtrack and Axl was in the middle of trying to lure him back.  So if anything, it should have been Axl feeling the pressure - after all, he was about to lose Slash (and knew it) and Duff had other interests.

Axl is already adept at piano, it’s not such a stretch that he’d be half way decent on guitar.  I am surprised Duff went as far as to compare him to Izzy though.  Does seem odd.

Are there any videos or recordings of Axl playing guitar?  I mean, besides Dead Horse.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

You’d think wouldn’t you? :lol:  Except by that stage Duff didn’t need to please Axl.  In fact, he, Slash and Matt were quite productive then; they’d written 16 songs (still no lyrics from Axl who continued not to show up or do anything remotely productive) and then Duff went off touring with Neurotic Outsiders.  Slash was recording music for a Tarentino soundtrack and Axl was in the middle of trying to lure him back.  So if anything, it should have been Axl feeling the pressure - after all, he was about to lose Slash (and knew it) and Duff had other interests.

Axl is already adept at piano, it’s not such a stretch that he’d be half way decent on guitar.  I am surprised Duff went as far as to compare him to Izzy though.  Does seem odd.

Are there any videos or recordings of Axl playing guitar?  I mean, besides Dead Horse.

not that i know of

he played bass in some shows

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

He played guitar during the solo of Madagascar in 2001 :)

34 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

He played guitar during the solo of Madagascar in 2001 :)

My likes/thanks thingy isn't working - thanks so much for posting this. :thumbsup:  Wow, so weird to see Axl with a guitar.  He kinda suits it, and he kinda doesn't.  lol  He keeps wandering all over the stage with it, like he's not sure what to do, or he's not comfortable - kinda sums up that period of time for him I guess.  I have no idea if he plays it well or not.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle