searching your roots

action

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do you guys still own any of the castles/land? More importantly can I visit and stay for free?

:lol:

No, they are mostly owned by the local regions and are museums now.   It's funny because my co-workers ask me the same thing ...lol.

Nothing very interesting about my family history.

-My mom's side is mostly from German heritage.

-My dad was adopted so I'm not sure but his grandpa (my great-grandpa, never met him, died in 1988) immigrated from Bulgaria to Iowa in 1914, opened up a grocery store, went back over to bring my great grandma to Iowa three years later, opened up an ice cream store, and then retired about 30 years later. 

-My grandma (dad's side), who died in 2002, was from German parents who ran a farm in Wisconsin. 

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

On 10/18/2017 at 9:09 PM, Kasanova King said:

My ancestors were an Italian family that ruled over a large portion of Italy for close to 300 years during the middle ages.   I can't post the name because the name of the family is still my last name now. :ph34r:  But anyway, there are about 9-10 castles that they either built, or controlled at some point, that are still around today as tourist attractions. 

Sound like Republicans to me..............:P

• Haha 1

All I know is my Maternal Grandmother was from Liverpool, England and my Paternal Grandparents were from Poland............I do have relatives in Ireland as well so maybe have some Irish blood.

I am thinking of getting a DNA test done just for fun to see exactly what mix of mutt I am.............

14 hours ago, classicrawker said:

All I know is my Maternal Grandmother was from Liverpool,

... OH she robbed so many a sailor! :D

I do have relatives in Ireland as well so maybe have some Irish blood.

Wouldn't surprise me, half the scousers out there have Irish blood. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

It's amazing how fast and easily you can find information on your ancestors on the internet nowadays. I found out in a few minutes the other day that one side of my family has been living in the little town I grew up in since the 16th century.

• Like 1

My husband did this about 10 years ago and discovered he is related in part from this guy.

72835_gravity_sm.gif.0fec240aa4f3e15e593f1947c68a0ee5.gif

Not directly as I don't think he had kids himself. I think it was from a father/brother/uncle - can't remember exactly. We went to his birthplace, added to their genealogy project and my husband and sons had a photo op under the tree. I keep trying to get one of them to to do Newton as a school project but they seem less than impressed. :lol:

• Like 2

On 10/20/2017 at 2:36 PM, classicrawker said:

All I know is my Maternal Grandmother was from Liverpool, England and my Paternal Grandparents were from Poland............I do have relatives in Ireland as well so maybe have some Irish blood.

I am thinking of getting a DNA test done just for fun to see exactly what mix of mutt I am.............

I took 2 DNA tests.  I always knew my mom's family was German/Prussian, and my dad insisted he was Spanish.  My dad's brother laughed and said my dad might be Spanish, but the rest of the family was Mexican.  :lol:  After a lifetime of being asked if I was "part-Indian" and denying it, it turns out that I am 20-22% Native American, probably indigenous to Mexico.  According to the tests, I'm also 2-3% west African, 2% south-central Asian (no idea how), and 2% Neanderthal.    :hug: <-- all my genes, in my imagination.

• Like 1

Some nice stories here :D We should give a group visit to those castles in Italy

I didn't do shit but my father's family has a big family book that dates to the late 17th century. The most interesting part is that one of my great great great grandfather owned a big ship, when they were still used for trade in Adriatic sea, that he lost while fucking gambling. There's even mention of that in Serbian wikipedia :lol:

All of my Dad's grandfathers, uncles and great grandfathers that were alive during WWII served in it... But here's the interesting part, some of them were chetniks and some partisans. Several of them died and there's a reasonable chance that they killed each other cause a lot of them operated in the same territory 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

where do you get these tests from? @triad

The first test was from National Geographic.  https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/  It's for 'deep ancestry', meaning nothing medical, and no genealogical connections.  This is the one that told me I have Neanderthal genes, which apparently is pretty common among Europeans.  

The 2nd, several years later, was from Family Tree DNA, which can link you to potential relatives, if you both wish to share the information.  https://www.familytreedna.com/

It was free to transfer my data from NatGeo to Family Tree, but since my original sample was so old, they requested a new one (cheek swab for both).  I was curious how the results of the two tests would compare.  They were pretty similar.  

• Thanks 1