Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER TAGS NO LONGER REQUIRED]

Powerage5

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

yeah I like Lord and Miller's films, but I prefer Ron Howard for a Han Solo film. 

i think disney is doing well. Not great, but well. My "the plot thickens" comment was just to point out how both SW fans and GNR fans tend to complain a lot. 

I like the work theyve done that Ive seen too, but from the rumours it sounds like they werent giving Star wars much reverence.  I agree about Disney.

I complain about GNR but not about Star Wars and I dont know why - theres critiques to make about both to be sure.  I just like to have Star Wars be light hearted fun I guess... except the prequels did break my heart at the time, haha

• Like 1

Just a question, why does everyone seem to revere these guys Lord and Miller?

I can say I've only seen 21 Jump Street and I just don't understand it. Their mass appeal, not why 21 Jump Street was funny.

What about them is so cool and unique that everyone was heartbroken to see them fired? 

I see nothing that indicates they can handle genre filmmaking with grace. The only thing I seem to take away from them is that they are subversive, which seems to carry them a huge distance in geek credit.

What the heck is it about these two guys that makes the Internet horny for them? Please explain.

Edited by appetite4illusions

• 2 months later...

Official synopsis, from the Star Wars website:

Here’s where the fun begins.

The official synopsis for Solo: A Star Wars Story was revealed today, offering some new details on the upcoming film. Read it below:

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

While not much else is known about the film, director Ron Howard has documented his experience making Solo: A Star Wars Story on Twitter and Instagram throughout production — with everything from set photos to shots of his morning coffee. StarWars.com has compiled all of his updates in one post, which you can view here.

Solo: A Star Wars Story is slated for release on May 25, 2018.

http://www.starwars.com/news/official-synopsis-for-solo-a-star-wars-story-revealed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Sounds like what I both feared yet expected. Han meets Chewie? Han meets Lando? Boring. They'll probably show the Kessel Run too.

Part of the fun with a character like Han and past events that are alluded to is that it adds to the mystery and imagination. The fun is in not knowing. I don't get this whole trend of needing to overexplain everything. It's not even just Star Wars doing it either.

I can't wait until Disney purchases MGM and starts doing Bond. We can have a whole film explaining the scar on Bond's cheek.

How about Cantina Band: A Star Wars Story - a full blown rockumentary set in the Star Wars universe.

C-3PO's Red Arm: A Star Wars Story.

The Buttons On Darth Vader's Chest: A Star Wars Story.

I'd totally love a Cantina Band rockumentary though; Spinal Tap in Space!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

Sounds like what I both feared yet expected. Han meets Chewie? Han meets Lando? Boring. They'll probably show the Kessel Run too.

Part of the fun with a character like Han and past events that are alluded to is that it adds to the mystery and imagination. The fun is in not knowing. I don't get this whole trend of needing to overexplain everything. It's not even just Star Wars doing it either.

I can't wait until Disney purchases MGM and starts doing Bond. We can have a whole film explaining the scar on Bond's cheek.

How about Cantina Band: A Star Wars Story - a full blown rockumentary set in the Star Wars universe.

The Kessel Run is actually confirmed to be a part of the movie.

14 hours ago, James Bond said:

How about the true story of Anakin's conception? Shmi got trunk at the Cantina and she woke up pregnant and a slave. It would be a tragi-comedy. 

And please God no on Bond. Disney ruins everything they touch.

On January 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM, DieselDaisy said:

The ironic thing is they had Abrams doing the new sequels and Ron Howard doing this yet the 'genuine' Spielberg has never directed a Star Wars film!

He almost did Return of the Jedi but had to back out cause the Directors Guild of America threatened to blacklist him if he did. That's why lucas ended up having to hire a play director for it instead, as well as shadow-direct much of it himself. This doesn't really bother me all that much though cause I'm one of those people that actually likes Return of the Jedi the way it is. 

Speilberg did also direct some of lightsaber sequences between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Revenge of the Sith, though. That's not enough to receive any kind of credit, but it's still something, I guess. 

He was offered to direct one of these new films for disney but passed on it, saying "it's not my genre, it's my best friend George's genre." I initially thought that was code for him saying he didn't wanna work with disney, but I guess that theory is false since he ended up working with them on The BFG, and will supposedly be working with them again soon on Indiana Jones 5.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He almost did Return of the Jedi but had to back out cause the Directors Guild of America threatened to blacklist him if he did. That's why lucas ended up having to hire a play director for it instead, as well as shadow-direct much of it himself. This doesn't really bother me all that much though cause I'm one of those people that actually likes Return of the Jedi the way it is. 

Speilberg did also direct some of lightsaber sequences between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Revenge of the Sith, though. That's not enough to receive any kind of credit, but it's still something, I guess. 

He was offered to direct one of these new films for disney but passed on it, saying "it's not my genre, it's my best friend George's genre." I initially thought that was code for him saying he didn't wanna work with disney, but I guess that theory is false since he ended up working with them on The BFG, and will supposedly be working with them again soon on Indiana Jones 5.

Shudders.

• Like 1

I could care less about this film. Star Wars is dead to me, thanks to Disney. Besides out of ALL of the sid3 stories they could tell, this just seems like a BAD idea. As others have said, how much you want to bet that the "black guy" and female characters "try" and steal the show.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I'm all for black guys and female characters stealing the show. I've got no problem with that whatsoever. The film wasn't shit because of girls and minorities. The film was shit because the story was awful.

Edit. For some reason I thought that last bit was about Last Jedi. 

I agree with you Dazey, the last Jedi was awful, but not because of Rey or Finn or what not. 

I was just making a statement about what's to expect with these films going forward. Disney has a clear agenda, and they are GOING to make sure women and minorities are CLEARLY getting their time to shine. Which I'm all for, if the story warrants it... but that's the thing isn't it?

I watched Beauty and the Beast with my wife the other day (for the first time), and the "agenda" was apparent in that film as well. It's a film set in the 1600/1700 in France, and the minority characters were FAR to prevalent for a time period piece for me. It took me out of the story, because I didn't find it realistic. In some small little French village like 15-20% of the population was black. I just don't find that to be accurate. It felt VERY much like the producers had a meeting and said "what characters can we turn black, so that they are properly represented for today's society?" Heck they even made the French maid black, which felt over the top imo. Like really? When you think of a French maid, you think of a white (probably blonde) woman, not a black woman, I'm sorry you just don't. I'm fine with 2 or 3 black characters, but it WAS over the top imo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for women and minorities getting proper representation in a film, but in a time period piece? I also DETEST decisions made in a board room, instead organically or artistically. Which Disney is THE most guilty of this lately imo. 

Let me put it like this, if they DO a live action Mulan (which I belive is in the works), I'm sure all the characters will be Asian. Perhaps an African American or two as well, just to do it. But you won't see a bunch of white folks running around, I can guarantee that. Or if they redid a story that takes place in Africa, they won't make 15% of the population white, I can guarantee that. Only the "bad guys" will be white I'm sure of it. 

• Like 1