Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER TAGS NO LONGER REQUIRED]

Powerage5

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Until they go overboard like they have lately. Thinking about unsubbing from them.

Don't unsub now, just wait a bit. They're too big now but they'll go back to being great after casuals get bored of it. Kinda like freefolk, it was unreadable for some time and now it's great again 

Ron Howard is basically a poor man's Spielberg, a purveyor of American schmaltz. I regard him as a ''safe pair of hands'' style director; competent; a man you know where you are (with). I am looking at his CV and there is nothing terribly exciting there but nothing too atrocious - Cinderella Man and Apollo 13 are probably the pick of the bunch. A lot of kiddy type stuff and Oscary faire in there also.

Far and Away though - pass the sick bucket! Spielbergean saccharine. 

PS

He directed Parenthood? Yes that is probably his best film.

He is one of these directors where you do not even realise it is him directing. He just goes about his job, 

Edited by DieselDaisy

I still believe that TFA is the best of the lot so far. What it lacked in originality was made up for with consistency, good use of characters, and a decent building block for plot points that could be expanded upon later. The ingredients for a decent trilogy were all there even if the film played it painfully safe.

Rogue One’s troubled production showed on the screen. Zero character development and the plot was terribly uninteresting. Pacing issues up the ass too. For a “standalone” it’s also pretty useless. Imagine you had never seen a Star Wars film and that’s your introduction to Vader and Tarkin. Yikes.

The Last Jedi... I won’t get started.

Here’s to Solo!

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ron Howard is basically a poor man's Spielberg, a purveyor of American schmaltz. I regard him as a ''safe pair of hands'' style director; competent; a man you know where you are (with). I am looking at his CV and there is nothing terribly exciting there but nothing too atrocious - Cinderella Man and Apollo 13 are probably the pick of the bunch. A lot of kiddy type stuff and Oscary faire in there also.

Far and Away though - pass the sick bucket! Spielbergean saccharine. 

PS

He directed Parenthood? Yes that is probably his best film.

He is one of these directors where you do not even realise it is him directing. He just goes about his job, 

Nothing wrong with being a poor man's Spielberg, especially if your previous gig was being a child actor!

What I admire most about Ron Howard is his versatility. He can do all types of films and apply the necessary touch. You're absolutely right that you don't even realize that it's his film, he is not overbearing in style.

We're talking about a guy who can go from Night Shift to Ransom to Frost/Nixon. If only more directors could run down all those streets...

Edited by appetite4illusions

On 4/29/2018 at 7:19 AM, James Bond said:

I still believe that TFA is the best of the lot so far. What it lacked in originality was made up for with consistency, good use of characters, and a decent building block for plot points that could be expanded upon later. The ingredients for a decent trilogy were all there even if the film played it painfully safe.

Rogue One’s troubled production showed on the screen. Zero character development and the plot was terribly uninteresting. Pacing issues up the ass too. For a “standalone” it’s also pretty useless. Imagine you had never seen a Star Wars film and that’s your introduction to Vader and Tarkin. Yikes.

The Last Jedi... I won’t get started.

Here’s to Solo!

I don’t view the anthology films as standalones in the sense that people outside of the Star Wars fandom would watch them with no knowledge of the saga and enjoy them (Though that’s not to say they CAN’T function as such), but more films that aren’t directly tied to the events of the saga and just serve to enhance and build on the Star Wars mythology. Of course so far we’re two for two on films that are maybe tied a bit too close to the saga, but I would expect more risks the more anthology films they make. 

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I don’t view the anthology films as standalones in the sense that people outside of the Star Wars fandom would watch them with no knowledge of the saga and enjoy them (Though that’s not to say they CAN’T function as such), but more films that aren’t directly tied to the events of the saga and just serve to enhance and build on the Star Wars mythology. Of course so far we’re two for two on films that are maybe tied a bit too close to the saga, but I would expect more risks the more anthology films they make. 

Yeah I think that’s where I’ve been disappointed. There’s so much potential to explore amazing new stories and characters with the anthology films but so far the two we’ve got rely very heavily on the original trilogy in either plot or characters. If we move more into true standalone territory I think my interest will greatly increase.

• GNFNR 1