On 09/06/2018 at 8:11 PM, Dazey said:

Still not seen Solo yet but thus far my ranking would be: 

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Return Of The Jedi

4. The Force Awakens

5. Rogue One

6. The Last Jedi

The prequels are all unwatchable and I've only included Last Jedi on the off chance that Episode 9 might in some way rescue the sequel trilogy. 

Seen it now. Loved it. New ratings.

2. A New Hope

3. Return Of The Jedi

4. Solo

5. The Force Awakens

6. Rogue One

7. The Last Jedi

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Star Wars is now just like the unending stream of super hero movies, taking away the focus from actual good movies being made. 

Welcome to 1983........sorry but there really hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since Empire, so you're literally talking about 1983.   And ROTJ wasn't actually bad.....other than the Ewoks, the Ewoks really fucked that one over.  

I think I'm on:

2. Return of the Jedi

3. A New Hope

4. Solo

5. Rogue One

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

9. The Force Awakens

I've not watched The Last Jedi. I decided that I wasn't interested in Disney's continuation timeline after TFA.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:19 AM, Fashionista said:

Didn't and won't see Solo. TLJ is the last SW film I will see.

Ramkings:

1) The Empire Strikes Back

2) Star Wars

3) Menace

4) Return

5) Sith

6) Clones

7) Rogue One

8) TFA

You're giving up on an entire film series because of one film?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 2:20 AM, Graeme said:

I think I'm on:

2. Return of the Jedi

3. A New Hope

4. Solo

5. Rogue One

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

9. The Force Awakens

I've not watched The Last Jedi. I decided that I wasn't interested in Disney's continuation timeline after TFA.

Similar to my own order except I'd switch 2 and 3 around and dump CGI Clones to the very arse end. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

You're giving up on an entire film series because of one film?

Yeah, it turned me off big time. TBH, I don't even really care to watch any of the movies - prequels, sequels, originals - anymore. No point. It all ends in dismal failure for everyone involved, and some of my favorite characters were written to be the opposite of who they were. I'm more into Star Trek now. Less disappointing.

• Like 1

I feel like Star Wars was at one time this almost sacred, special thing - even after the prequels - like, this interesting universe which we only saw a small fraction of, that was the vision of one really amazing guy who was aided in its execution by equally amazing people. There's a very...organic quality to the original films, a sense of craftsmanship, and a sense of a "lonely Auter" to the prequels. The saga had this virgin mystery to it, and seeing a SW film was an EVENT. Even as disappointing as the prequels often were, they felt like once in a lifetime events. That has gone out the window with Disney. Now, SW is Marvel - a series of enjoyable, but ultimately soulless and meaningless - products pumped out every year. It's no longer special, it's just another franchise now, and with each release, the universe gets a little smaller. I mean, a film based on the opening crawl of ANH? Han's entire backstory laid out? I didn't wanna know that. And the sequels go out of their way to basically piss on the originals - you're rooting for people who are ultimately rewrittten to be selfish failures, and every victory they win in those originl films has no meaning, really, because they're still fighting the same war and losing 30 years later. 

Edited by Fashionista
  • Like 3

I agree with @Fashionista, TLJ KILLED my love of SW. I don't know if I can come back from it. I wont even acknowledge ANY of the Disney films as being REAL SW. Even though I enjoyed Rogue 1 and TFA (still not anywhere near episodes 3-6 IMO), but they were decent enough. 

It's not just because of how much I dislike TLJ, but also because Kathleen Kennedy didn't understand or respect the franchise properly. Besides her political agenda crap (Which I don't want to get into here), it's that instead of making a PROPER trilogy, they are making sequels and spinoffs. Even if JJ pulls a rabbit out of his hat with episode 9, I won't be there to see it, the damage has been done. You can't erase the damage TLJ caused to the franchise, IMO it makes episodes 1 and 2 look like classics compared to that garbage. Why? Because at least 1 and 2 FEEL like SW. TLJ is a poorly written sci-fi movie masquerading as SW. It lacks the things that made SW the greatest franchise ever. Not only that, but it caused SO much damage to the franchise, that it destroyed what was once beautiful. 

The lack of one clear focus, one leader overseeing the franchise is what REALLY troubles me. Besides the Godfather (Which was only PART 1 and 2 when SW came along), SW wrote the book on what a trilogy is. It has a clear beginning, middle, and end. All parts are connected, one overarching story, etc. Love or hate the prequels, but at least they have that. The Disney trilogy (Disney SEQUELS, not trilogy) doesn't have that. I just can't forgive that mistake, it's too deep for me. Instead of this beautifully crafted trilogy like the OT,  we are going to get endless sequels pretending to be a trilogy. The Disney films have more in common with Friday the 13th or Fast and the Furious now, than with the OT, which is SO sad imo. Which I LOVE Friday the 13th for what it is, but I WOULD NEVER put it next to SW. Disney trying to make SW like the MCU was a dumb mistake. SW is SW, it doesn't need to copy ANYTHING else, it was already the king. But even if they did want to do that, the MCU has Kevin Feigie as it's mastermind. LOTR has Peter Jackson, all the great series had that guy. SW did as well, we had George Lucas, and now that he is gone, this is what we are stuck with. 

I almost sold off my collector series light sabers, I won't watch anymore new films in the theaters (or even at all, I don't have any interest in Solo). I still love episodes 1-6, but even those I can't watch right now. Some time needs to pass, these Disney films need to wrap up after Episode 9, they need to revalute what they are doing, and put SW on hold for a while. Then maybe I can find joy in the franchise again, but I will STILL never watch TLJ again, that film is cancer better off removed.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I agree with @Fashionista, TLJ KILLED my love of SW. I don't know if I can come back from it. I wont even acknowledge ANY of the Disney films as being REAL SW. Even though I enjoyed Rogue 1 and TFA (still not anywhere near episodes 3-6 IMO), but they were decent enough. 

It's not just because of how much I dislike TLJ, but also because Kathleen Kennedy didn't understand or respect the franchise properly. Besides her political agenda crap (Which I don't want to get into here), it's that instead of making a PROPER trilogy, they are making sequels and spinoffs. Even if JJ pulls a rabbit out of his hat with episode 9, I won't be there to see it, the damage has been done. You can't erase the damage TLJ caused to the franchise, IMO it makes episodes 1 and 2 look like classics compared to that garbage. Why? Because at least 1 and 2 FEEL like SW. TLJ is a poorly written sci-fi movie masquerading as SW. It lacks the things that made SW the greatest franchise ever. Not only that, but it caused SO much damage to the franchise, that it destroyed what was once beautiful. 

The lack of one clear focus, one leader overseeing the franchise is what REALLY troubles me. Besides the Godfather (Which was only PART 1 and 2 when SW came along), SW wrote the book on what a trilogy is. It has a clear beginning, middle, and end. All parts are connected, one overarching story, etc. Love or hate the prequels, but at least they have that. The Disney trilogy (Disney SEQUELS, not trilogy) doesn't have that. I just can't forgive that mistake, it's too deep for me. Instead of this beautifully crafted trilogy like the OT,  we are going to get endless sequels pretending to be a trilogy. The Disney films have more in common with Friday the 13th or Fast and the Furious now, than with the OT, which is SO sad imo. Which I LOVE Friday the 13th for what it is, but I WOULD NEVER put it next to SW. Disney trying to make SW like the MCU was a dumb mistake. SW is SW, it doesn't need to copy ANYTHING else, it was already the king. But even if they did want to do that, the MCU has Kevin Feigie as it's mastermind. LOTR has Peter Jackson, all the great series had that guy. SW did as well, we had George Lucas, and now that he is gone, this is what we are stuck with. 

I almost sold off my collector series light sabers, I won't watch anymore new films in the theaters (or even at all, I don't have any interest in Solo). I still love episodes 1-6, but even those I can't watch right now. Some time needs to pass, these Disney films need to wrap up after Episode 9, they need to revalute what they are doing, and put SW on hold for a while. Then maybe I can find joy in the franchise again, but I will STILL never watch TLJ again, that film is cancer better off removed.

The originals feel somehow tainted by association. I know that sounds dramatic, and I usually don't feel that strongly about movies, but Disney's movies really KILLED the arc of 1-6, which, flawed as the prequels are, is for me the Fall and Redemption not of Darth Vader personally, but of the Jedi Order. The fact that such a heinous evil man as him could be redeemed showed just how powerful the Force and the Jedi way are when treated the right way. The prequels for me are about the Jedi becoming arrogant extremists, whose arrogance and self-righteousness blinds and destroys them. All of that is undone because Luke had a vision and wanted to murder a kid. It doesn't make sense, and makes the logic of the first six film collapse in on themselves, which makes watching them seem pointless because in the end, it's a wretched failure. The prequels end at least with the glimmer of hope in the form of Luke and Leia....I do not think I will be watching them for a good few years at least....Too tainted....

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I'm inclined to agree with you to a point only Episodes 1-3 really tainted the original films for me. I enjoyed The Force Awakens but that plot line was completely ruined by the utter fuck-up that was The Last Jedi so I'm not even going to watch Episode 9 at this point. I really enjoyed Rogue One however and Solo was great. Probably the best and most "Star Wars" of the lot after Eps 4-6.

Edited by Dazey

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I'm inclined to agree with you to a point only Episodes 1-3 really tainted the original films for me. I enjoyed The Force Awakens but that plot line was completely ruined by the utter fuck-up that was The Last Jedi so I'm not even going to watch Episode 9 at this point. I really enjoyed Rogue One however and Solo was great. Probably the best and most "Star Wars" of the lot after Eps 4-6.

The only reason why 1-3 doesn't take anything away from the OT is because it nestled right up to the beginning of the OT. Are they inferior, yes without a doubt. But in their inferiority, they at least gave us things we always wondered about; the fall of Anakin, the clone wars, etc. Could they of been handled better (possibly another set of eyes besides JUST Lucas) yes, without a doubt. But for me, they don't diminish the OT, just not AS good (or good at all, depending on your opinion). The SEQUELS (because again, I can't even call it a trilogy, they are just sequels), they completely undermine the OT. Like @Fashionista said, I can't even watch the OT right now because the sequels have tainted them in such a way. I NEVER felt that way about the Prequels. 

That's why I feel the LOTR/Hobbit comparison is valid. I for one enjoy the Hobbit films, but admit they are inferior to LOTR. But they don't take away ANYTHING from LOTR, just not AS good. The SW prequels are like that for me (although if I'm honest, I like the Hobbit films better than the SW prequels). 

The Disney sequels and spinoffs have completely killed the franchise imo, so much so that it probably can't come back from this (unless they get Lucas heavily involved.) The spinoffs (while entertaining) give us MORE stories of things nobody asked for. I like Rogue 1, but did we need a WHOLE film about that story line? No. Sometimes a few lines of dialogue is all that's needed, expanding upon it always falls short. 

Honestly, the ONLY way I can see SW returning from this mess is to reboot starting with episode 7. Which means removing these sequels from cannon (Which they might HAVE to do if episode 9 falls short). They will be FORCED to do Lucas original story lines for 7, 8, and 9 and have Lucas involved in some manner. I for one, would accept that and I think others would as well. But the problem there is Harrison Ford won't do it now, Carrie is dead, and they would have to BEG Mark Hamill. But that's the ONLY SW redemption for me at this point. Otherwise, Disney killed the greatest movie franchise of all time.

I liked TLJ quite a bit but it's hard to be as excited as I could if Luke wasnt in it

I think they should "Godfather Pt 2" IX. A third of the movie should be the story of the academy and how Kylo really snapped and betrayed everyone with the Knights of Ren. Pay Ford a few million for a few minutes of shooting and have him have a small roll so Han and Luke can have a scene. Have a line or two explaining Snoke and show how he got to Kylo. Have the story line show Ben Solo turning into Kylo Ren as the main story shows Kylo Rem turn towards Ben Solo. Maybe at the end he gives into the light, maybe he doesn't. 

Have the main story be about him and the Knights controlling the First Order. Give the movie a 5 year time jump. The FO have conquered parts of the galaxy but other parts have banded together to reform the New Republic. Idk maybe give it some macguffin that involves ancient Jedi or some shit so Force ghost Luke can have a cool role and be a badass. The climax should be the Knights fucking shit up and Kylo killing one to save Rey, like in her TFA vision and ties the whole thing together. It should be at the end so he can be evil as hell throughout most the film

Idk

I am ambiguous as I deem the spin-offs to be superior to the first two installments of the new trilogy yet wanted neither, and do not especially like endless backstory. Pertaining to competent entertainment however, Rogue One and Solo were superior - albeit not without flaws.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, James Bond said:

I loved TFA when it came out but now it just feels like a black sheep because I’ve loathed every other film that’s come since. Ah, what could have been.

It's funny, I'm to exact opposite. I'm lukewarm about TFA at best, and I love everything since :shrugs: