Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER TAGS NO LONGER REQUIRED]

Powerage5

9 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

There’s one thing I’ve seen mentioned a lot on Reddit which I think is worth repeating here; acting chops aside, why should Alden need the same height of charisma in the role as Ford had? It’s an origin story for Han, he shouldn’t necessarily be the fully developed character that Han was by ANH. It’s like, in the Young Indiana Jones Chrinicles, Sean Patrick Flannery didn’t have the same charisma as Ford did but it worked because it was about how Indy became the character we know and love, and no one roasted Flannery for that. The same logic should apply here. Now if he’s a hack of an actor that’s another thing, but I see not having the Han Solo charm as a non-issue. 

Good post

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

There’s one thing I’ve seen mentioned a lot on Reddit which I think is worth repeating here; acting chops aside, why should Alden need the same height of charisma in the role as Ford had? It’s an origin story for Han, he shouldn’t necessarily be the fully developed character that Han was by ANH. It’s like, in the Young Indiana Jones Chrinicles, Sean Patrick Flannery didn’t have the same charisma as Ford did but it worked because it was about how Indy became the character we know and love, and no one roasted Flannery for that. The same logic should apply here. Now if he’s a hack of an actor that’s another thing, but I see not having the Han Solo charm as a non-issue. 

That's a very fair point - I think it's good to leave the judgment on his actual abilities aside until we see despite the fact that it'll be hard to accept a different actor in the role. Let's just hope the script delivers and subsequently so does he. 

Now I have to say - despite my reservations about this film, Donald Glover looks absolutely incredibly as a young Lando. Brilliant casting.

Like most of you, I'll still be in theatres when this comes out, but my expectations will be exceedingly low after The Last Jedi.  

Rogue One was decent and I've come to change my assessment about the film, as I've found more appreciation for as time wears on (not sure if this is a result of the film growing on me or it benefiting from my reaction to TLJ).

At the end of the day, it's still more Star Wars.  

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

He is only about seven years' younger than what Harrison was when he first played Solo. 

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is only about seven years' younger than what Harrison was when he first played Solo. 

7 years is a long time it’s the difference between the catholic age of consent and the rest of the world. :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daedalus said:

This probably deserves its own thread... :

Game of Thrones Creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

I have a fucking headache.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I hate to break it to you....but Sean Patrick Flannery didn't exactly "work out". It was an average show, in which he specifically was average.  Boondock Saints was awesome Flannery, Young Indy was average Flannery at the time. 

Edited by tsinindy

On 2/6/2018 at 2:34 PM, James Bond said:

That's a very fair point - I think it's good to leave the judgment on his actual abilities aside until we see despite the fact that it'll be hard to accept a different actor in the role. Let's just hope the script delivers and subsequently so does he. 

Now I have to say - despite my reservations about this film, Donald Glover looks absolutely incredibly as a young Lando. Brilliant casting.

Disney is proud of themselves too. No need to create a new character to be black.

• Haha 1

I hope we haven't seen the last of Lawrence Kasdan in the Star Wars universe. I trust him implicitly as his instincts tend to be right on the money (I'm one of the few people who think Dreamcatcher is a flawed masterpiece.)

While I favor the script of Last Jedi over Force Awakens and while nobody has gushed about how great the Solo script should be, I still think that he's a very valuable collaborator and should be consulted on every one of these films.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:57 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I forgot what he exactly says but he says something like, ''and young Chewbacca'' and a digital representation of young Chewbacca appears on screen. It is truly ghastly. 

He says “Goodby Tarrful, goodbye Chewbacca.” And Chewie wasn’t digital in ROTS, Peter Mayhew was in costume. 

On February 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM, DieselDaisy said:

From the trailer, is that new chap having a rather weird sounding stab at Harrison Ford's accent I hear, or at least the way Harrison accentuates words? For instance the way he says ''mind of my own''?

Yeah I noticed that too. It also sounds like he's trying to say "I thought we were in trouble there for a second, but it's fine, we're fine" in a ford-ish sorta way, just without the deep voice tone.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 13, 2018 at 2:43 PM, appetite4illusions said:

I hope we haven't seen the last of Lawrence Kasdan in the Star Wars universe. I trust him implicitly as his instincts tend to be right on the money (I'm one of the few people who think Dreamcatcher is a flawed masterpiece.)

While I favor the script of Last Jedi over Force Awakens and while nobody has gushed about how great the Solo script should be, I still think that he's a very valuable collaborator and should be consulted on every one of these films.

Im pretty sure he said he's retiring after Solo.

Edited by rocknroll41

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On March 26, 2018 at 11:15 PM, luciusfunk said:

And now they're removing the blasters from the posters.

That's only for the Brazilian versions of the posters, though.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

New trailer has me a little more excited:

I really like this newest trailer

• Like 1

Had to chuckle at "I've got a really good feeling about this" :lol:

Still looks good to me. Alden's voice isn't quite deep enough for me to believe he's Han, but if it's a younger Han I suppose it works. Donald Glover is on point as Lando.

• Like 2