This I Love solo - old versions / new version

Okay, I make this thread to discuss the solo from This I Love.

I don't know how you feel about this song, I think it's the favorite from "Cassual fans" of Chinese Democracy.

Even tho I like this song a lot, I think the solo has created a lot of controversy; some people like the studio version of it, I remember in 2009-2010 that Ashba played some horrible thing that couldnt even be considered guitar-playing, but he started playing it pretty good in the later years (bad timing considering Axl's voice).

I specially like the solo from the o2 arena from Ashba.

But; even considering that, I think the song itself was screaming for a Slash solo from the begining; some Slash solos in slow songs like Don't cry and November rain are impossible to forget and full of emotion.

...But, after hearing the solo in the last tour, I wasn't impressed. Maybe i'm missing some good recording?

What do you think?

For someone who didn't saw all the 2016-2017 shows from Guns, maybe i'm missing a good one.

• Like 2

I agree This I Love deserved an epic, Slash like solo. Slash doesn’t seem interested in the song so he noodles on it and has a ridiculous and completely different solo every night which kills the vibe of the song for me. It’s ironic since Robin Finck’s solo on the studio version is so much more Slash-epic like than Slash’s is. Can’t beat the studio version- Robin’s solo is one of the best Guns solos of all time, thick with emotion like a poet spilling out his heart. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

This one is amazing. There's some improvisation but the whole structure of the solo and the way it climaxes and takes you on an emotional journey is great with the song. Something like this in the studio would be amazing.

As for what Robin played...I think he was going for the kinda thing Slash does on NR and Estranged...it's kinda part of the way there...but there's a gift to the way Slash picks notes and melodies that suit songs...it can't quite be replicated. To me what Slash does now on a good night is kinda what Robin was going for and didn't quite hit...no disrespect to him...but there's something magical at work with Slash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chunder Monkey said:

This one is amazing. There's some improvisation but the whole structure of the solo and the way it climaxes and takes you on an emotional journey is great with the song. Something like this in the studio would be amazing.

As for what Robin played...I think he was going for the kinda thing Slash does on NR and Estranged...it's kinda part of the way there...but there's a gift to the way Slash picks notes and melodies that suit songs...it can't quite be replicated. To me what Slash does now on a good night is kinda what Robin was going for and didn't quite hit...no disrespect to him...but there's something magical at work with Slash.

For a guy who claims to not like ballads he's fucking good at them. Check out the outro solo on "Battleground"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, viruzzz said:

I don't know how you feel about this song, I think it's the favorite from "Cassual fans" of Chinese Democracy.

I thought this song was horribly boring from day 1 and is my least favorite track on the album :lol: maybe I love my guitars too much, but TIL does absolutely nothing for me to the point where no solo in the world can save it from mediocrity

When it comes to the solo performances though:
Robin > Slash > Ashba

57 minutes ago, Gackt said:

I thought this song was horribly boring from day 1 and is my least favorite track on the album :lol: maybe I love my guitars too much, but TIL does absolutely nothing for me to the point where no solo in the world can save it from mediocrity

When it comes to the solo performances though:
Robin > Slash > Ashba

Well it would of been nice to hear Robin tackle it live at some point, no reference for that, sadly...

Said it a few times already, but I have no time for Slash's improvisation on this I love and Better. Replacing tasteful, well honed guitar solos with a bunch of stank ass shred instead? no thanks. This I love probably has the best guitar solo on the entire CD album.

There are moments with Slash's versions that are fine, but overall I would be much more lenient as a critic if he would just include some of the more important sections of the solo and then take off with whatever he wants to add in. It literally sounds like he's practicing over a jam track to me, compared to Robins solo which was subtle and probably well thought out and produced. 

My thoughts on CD are that the album was so heavily produced that changing any one little thing drastically changes a songs whole vibe. I MUCH prefer listening to the studio version, because of the solo and because Axl can't sing it live these days.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

There is exactly one good rendition of the TIL solo: Robin's version on the album. I have no time for Ashba's awful renditions, nor Slash's uninspired noodling. 

I think I actually prefer Ashba's to Slash, since he at least tries to replicate Finck and have a heartful solo. Both are horrendous though and lead me to skip all TIL videos from this tour.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

32 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think I actually prefer Ashba's to Slash, since he at least tries to replicate Finck and have a heartful solo. Both are horrendous though and lead me to skip all TIL videos from this tour.

Some of the Slash version are good enough for multiple listenings but nowhere as good as the studio version from Robin.

Edited by Sosso

13 hours ago, viruzzz said:

But; even considering that, I think the song itself was screaming for a Slash solo from the begining; some Slash solos in slow songs like Don't cry and November rain are impossible to forget and full of emotion.

Confession: I hate the song with a passion so maybe I'm not 'qualified' to give an opinion on the solo.  But I listened to the ones you presented plus Robin's.

To my ears, there's no comparison: I'd take Robin's all day long over Slash's.  For once, I like Slash's tone for this (unlike TWAT where his tone is hideous) but because he feels no emotional connection to this song (I'm guessing) it carries no emotion, to me anyway.  Slash's interpretation sounds busy and messy.  I hear a sort of brashness to his that isn't present on Robin's.  I think the solo requires a certain delicacy that Robin conveys beautifully.  I still hate the song. :lol:

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

Robin's solo is just the perfect fit for the song. It bleeds emotion, and isn't out of line with what you'd expect on a "GNR ballad".

DJ's take on the solo... I mean it wasn't the worst thing ever, if nothing else his approach was better than Slash's - he admittedly couldn't do the studio version justice, so he wrote his own version of it. Even though it sucked, at least he was pretty consistent, which definitely can't be said about Slash.

Slash just doesn't seem to give the slightest fuck about the song, it's like he said to the band  'yea, we'll do TIL, gimme some time to come up with a solo and it'll be all good', then completely forgot to write a solo and just decided to fuck around on it each night.

....all that said, I still kinda think the version with no lead guitar is the best:

• GNFNR 2

7 hours ago, Chunder Monkey said:

Couldn't have said it better. I heard some uninspiring attempts by Slash for most during the european leg but what he did with that solo especially at the beginning of the tour was absolutely amazing and magical. Exactly what the song needed IMO

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

My thoughts on CD are that the album was so heavily produced that changing any one little thing drastically changes a songs whole vibe. I MUCH prefer listening to the studio version, because of the solo and because Axl can't sing it live these days.

Very true, I didn't even recognize the songs right away when played live. They are produced to the point that the cellophane the cd came wrapped in has more soul and contour.  

14 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

To me it's the worst song, even Slash couldn't make it good, it's like putting diamonds on dogshit, it's still dogshit. IMO.

Young listeners are far more easy to please and expect less. I saw comments on YouTube likening it to Stairway to Heaven and the kid getting a lot of praise for his insight. A lot of yoUng, new listeners came in on CD so they're very condused, to them this is a Magnus opus of rock bevaude they hsve beiber and Beyoncé as a baseline .

23 minutes ago, Sosso said:

This I Love is one of the best ballads from GN'R, probably even equal to November Rain. 

I don't rate November Rain much either :P

18 minutes ago, Pishy said:

Young listeners are far more easy to please and expect less. I saw comments on YouTube likening it to Stairway to Heaven and the kid getting a lot of praise for his insight. A lot of yoUng, new listeners came in on CD so they're very condused, to them this is a Magnus opus of rock bevaude they hsve beiber and Beyoncé as a baseline .

Yeah i never thought of it from that perspective, but to my ears it just drones on and on and on and on and on and....:lol:

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Robin's version. As far as the different takes I've heard of Slash there are some good ones but not comparable to Robin's version.

I think many people assume artists don't have respect and integrity of others work. I believe Slash has respect for Robin's version. There's no need for him to duplicate it rather he can make it his own in a way.

Slash likes noodling.

I happen to think its a very beautiful song. Me personally I love when I can listen to a whole album and find a song for every mood. I found most GnR albums to be that way.

People give Axl sh** for the ballads but most of those ballads rank at the top. 

Of course I don't think anyone can do Slashs parts like Slash. I feel the same about TIL and Robin's.