AC/DC producer and Easybeats star George Young dies aged 70 as legendary rockers pay tribute to a 'fine brother'

Sosso

His younger brothers, Malcolm and Angus Young of AC/DC, released a statement saying that the band would not exist without George's 'help and guidance.'

The pair will remember their brother 'with gratitude and hold him close to our hearts.'

'As a musician, songwriter, producer, advisor and much, much more, you could not ask for a more dedicated and professional man. You could not ask for a finer brother.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5007427/amp/ACDC-producer-Easybeats-star-George-Young-dies-aged-70.html 

AC/DC Producer George Young, Brother of Malcolm and Angus Young, Dies

by Nick DeRiso October 23, 2017 2:04 AM

George Young, a shepherding force for AC/DC, has died at the age of 70. He played bass with the band early on, and produced several of his younger siblings’ most successful releases, including High Voltage, T.N.T., Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Let There Be Rock, and Powerage.

“Without his help and guidance, there would not have been an AC/DC,” the band acknowledged in an overnight statement. “As a musician, songwriter, producer, advisor and much, much more, you could not ask for a more dedicated and professional man.”

The eldest brother of AC/DC co-founders Malcolm and Angus Young, George was born in Scotland in 1946 but emigrated to Australia with his family as a child. He first rose to local fame in the early ’60s as a member of the Easybeats, an Australian band for whom he wrote the late ’60s hit “Friday on My Mind.”

Young started his own production company when the Easybeats split in 1970. He and fellow band alum Harry Vanda became two of Australia’s best-known pop songwriters, before attracting still wider notice for their production work with AC/DC. They also co-composed “Love Is In the Air,” a Top 10Billboard song in 1977 for John Paul Young.

Albert Music, the publishing company that handled both the Easybeats and AC/DC, confirmed Young’s passing. “It is with great sadness that Alberts acknowledge the passing of George Young,” they told the Guardian. “A consummate songwriter, trailblazing producer, artist, mentor and extraordinary musician, George was above all else a gentleman who was unfailingly modest, charming, intelligent and loyal – a man with a wonderful sense of humor. George was a pioneer who, with close friends Harry Vanda and [company namesake] Ted Albert, created a new sound for the Australian music industry.”

Young returned to co-produce AC/DC’s 1988 album Blow Up Your Video (with Vanda) and 2000’s Stiff Upper Lip, before later retiring. No cause of death was immediately revealed. Harry Vanda added a personal message: “Rest in peace, my dear friend.”

A huge loss to australian music. He had  a massive influence of those bands from the 70s such as acdc, rose tattoo (major unfluence on gnr) and the angels. I think georges passing will spur angus on more. No pressure axl!

Edited by Sydney Fan

Sad news but I have to admit my heart sank even further the other day when I first saw it on the Facebook page because my mind instantly assumed that the post was going to be about Malcolm.

Nevertheless, a huge loss for the Youngs and one who was an incredible influence on AC/DC.

Great piece in The Guardian. It's not all about AC/DC but I  had to highlight these parts because they are great,

---

A few stories sum up George Young’s contribution to that band. First, as Clinton Walker has pointed out in his biography of Scott, Highway to Hell, Young insisted that AC/DC should never deviate from straight, hard rock’n’roll: following trends, he believed, had been the Easybeats’ undoing. He also identified the silence and space in Malcolm Young’s stop-start riffs as crucial to their early sound: “It’s the stops what rocks,” he said.

The most famous story is of smoke billowing from Angus Young’s amplifier as he laid down the climactic solo for Let There Be Rock. From the control booth, George gesticulated and screamed at the guitarist to keep going, with Angus just managing to finish before his Marshall melted. “There was no way we were going to stop a shit-hot performance for a technical reason like amps blowing up!” George said later.

:lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/oct/24/george-young-should-be-remembered-as-the-sonic-architect-of-australian-rock-music

• Haha 2