Has the consensus on Chinese changed since the NITL tour started?

5 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Coma and DTJ is Axl's "compromise". As has been said before, the whole Chinese Democracy album (which Duff and Slash didn't play on) vs. these two songs (which are also Axl's let's not forget) is a pretty off balance trade off. 

Honestly I feel like too many assumtions of intentions are being made here.  

6 hours ago, Carburetta said:

I'm aware of those comments, I've seen the video, what people say isn't always what they mean, and just because they say it, it doesn't mean that's exactly how things went down.

Slash and Duff learning Chinese Democracy, I mean why? It's not their album, they don't owe Axl anything, Axl doesn't need their "support" (he's a multi millionaire rock star). By all means play a couple of songs here and there if they must, but learn the whole album? 

Them doing this and Axl's reluctance/refusal to add additional or alternate old Guns songs to the set last supports my view that Axl is acting in a self centered manner, à la the old days. I mean, why isn't he budging and offering back the favour to learn again and rehearse all of their old songs, would have been nice and right thing to do no? Rather than just say, "ok thanks guys, now let's play half of them every night".

ricky and frankie :rofl-lol: only are in this band because Axl never stopped acting in a self centered manner

and for loot-sharing reasons - obviously

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

he just wants to hear these CD songs that are so full of meaning for him (all the blood, sweat and tears to make the damn thing) interpreted by Slash.

blood, sweat and tears? really? i was under the impression that axl was in a sofa missing rehearsals for 2 decades while tommy, brainy, robin, bucky, pauly and the other boys were doing all the blood, sweat and tears!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

So basically, they’re playing these songs because they want to.  And Axl wants to hear what Slash and Duff bring to them.  I think it’s as simple as that. 

So basically, they’re playing these songs because they want to PLEASE AXL, so Axl gets happy, everything flows well and everyone is in a good mood and they can go on making zillions forever

5 hours ago, Carburetta said:

You talk about Axl wanting this and that, this isn't the Axl show, it's Guns N' Roses

please never lose your sense of humor, please please please keep on posting this so people can finally understand what is REALLY going on on this tour! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

16 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

blood, sweat and tears? really? i was under the impression that axl was in a sofa missing rehearsals for 2 decades while tommy, brainy, robin, bucky, pauly and the other boys were doing all the blood, sweat and tears!

JikPG0ph.jpg

This is an actual picture from during work on CD.  Maybe no one was working all that hard, lol?

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Interestingly, when i went to a concert earlier in the year, it was This I Love which was actually drawing discussions as people were leaving. Obviously, most people attending either didn't know the song or had only heard it once or twice, but i thought it was pretty cool that people were open to it and interested in some of the material.

Awww really? That's very cool! I think it's a lovely song. Lots of emotion to it.

I should also add There Was a Time to the songs I've grown to like more. Can't really connect with the lyrics, but I enjoy the sound of it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

You forgot Dizzy...;) He was sweatin' too...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I wonder if Slash finally appreciates Bucketheads immense talent instead of talking bad things about him.

slash made a career of bad talking bucky, hasnt he? in every interview for the last 20 years he`s been taking cheap shots on bucky, right? never understood that. he is obsessed with the guy i suppose. now can you please link me to ONE interview where slash badtalks buckethead? i had a file of 200-plus interviews of slash badtalking buckethead but i cant find any right now. google is not working on my computer also! can you please link me to ONE interview?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

haha, I dont think I have seen Clevland yet, but have noticed him seeming pumped up after the quotes section, till the end before.  Gonna have to check that out now!

He doesnt do much but he does add this chunky riff, sort of a start and stop thing to some sections of the descending chord pattern.  Sounds like a AC/DC b side kinda rock riff to me.  Most people seem to enjoy it, though.

around 1:05 it starts

I'm out of likes, but thanks for this @soon Always good to get a muso's perspective. ^^  Have to say, I like what Slash is doing here...is that bad? lol  I couldn't quite hear this in the same way for the last show, so I don't know if he's changed what he's doing?

7 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I'm out of likes, but thanks for this @soon Always good to get a muso's perspective. ^^  Have to say, I like what Slash is doing here...is that bad? lol  I couldn't quite hear this in the same way for the last show, so I don't know if he's changed what he's doing?

lol - I think most musos on here also really enjoy it, so you are in good company.  Just doesn't work for me.  I havent watched recent shows I guess... which is weird and I cant account for why.  Id be happy if he's changed it up, but then all you who like it would miss it.  

I've always liked the record but it's way harder for me to enjoy it after this stupid tour.

These guys don't give a shit about the people who buy tickets to see them and keep pushing songs 95% of the audience don't want to hear/don't care about. The problem at the beginning of the tour (besides having shitty replacements instead of Steven and Izzy) was they were playing a bunch of CD songs and a bunch of covers instead of their own stuff. As the tour developed, what they did was adding more CD songs AND more covers! 

It saddens me to see Slash this way. Showing up to his 9 to 5 job, going along with whatever his boss wants to do, basically doing everything he was against when he quit (Axl's songs, Axl's rules, being an employee, Axl picking the hired hands). The whole "doing it with the five of us for the right reasons" clearly doesn't mean anything to him anymore, I hope he'll enjoy his part of the loot at least...

I'm glad for those who are happy about the way things are going, I just can't. I wanted the real thing back, not Axl's vision (that Slash and Duff decided NOT to be a part of) finally coming to life 20 years later.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to enjoy CD the way I used to.

• Like 1

It has always been one of my favorite albums. Its a special one, because I've spend nearly half my life debating and talking about it. I followed this band like a lunatic for all those years, and Chinese remains the most controversial album ever. For better or worse, its left a huge impact on me. 

On a personal level, I think the amount of Chinese songs is really cool. Before the reunion, I thought the tour should be a celebration of only the classic material. After those shows in April 2016, I changed my tune because I REALLY liked the band's rendition of Chinese, Better, and TWAT. They actually were set highlights for me, and offer the only real "new and fresh" music because some of the renditions are quite different with Slash. As the tour roles on, some of Slash's renditions have gotten shredder and sloppier imo. TiL blew me away at all 3 shows I saw last year, and although I haven't been keeping up with the 2017 legs as much, it doesn't seem as inspired. Sorry sounds great, but the sometimes Slash shreds too much. TWAT seems improved this year, and Catcher is still a bit too shreddy for me. 

Madagascar, I really wish Slash did something crazy in the middle to change the song up, but I do like what he does on the rhythm. Prostitute sounded cool but pretty much unchanged to me. 

I don't necessarily think all the changes are better than the originals, but I like the idea of these versions being completely different from the originals since we don't have new music. Makes things a little fresh. On another personal note, I really hope to get Prostitute, TWAT, or Catcher next week at my show because I have never heard those songs live at a show before. 

HOWEVER, I do not like how they are playing so much from the album when they aren't putting ANY surprises in the set from the classic material. Hell, even a Velvet Revolver would be en enormous sign of good faith on Axl's part. All the Chinese songs in the set to me screams it is still Axl doing whatever he wants and the others going along with it. I'd have liked to think this would be more of a "band" than a business at the start, but that illusion has faded throughout the past two years. Doesn't mean I don't think the band is great live or the shows and sets aren't good, I just wish Axl would give a little more leeway (and on another note, put more effort into his singing this year). It isn't that big of a deal for me since the set is 3.5 hours long. In fact, the covers are more of an issue, I just would have liked to see a VR song or two and maybe a few more surprise classic songs to even out the status quo throughout the tour. 

9 hours ago, Padme said:

During NuGN'R era, they played the same hits/old songs they are playing now. The only exception were 14 Years or Think About You when Izzy was a guest. When was the last time they played Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up or So Fine? I don't need those songs every single show. Nor I blame Axl because I don't know if Axl is to blame. But I would like to know why they buried many of the UYI songs

I was talking about Duff and Slash, not about GNR...A lot songs of the current setlist they haven´t played in decades..Used To Love Her,Yesterdays, Coma, Patience, Don´t Cry, November Rain, Estranged, My Michelle,...

9 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Coma and DTJ is Axl's "compromise". As has been said before, the whole Chinese Democracy album (which Duff and Slash didn't play on) vs. these two songs (which are also Axl's let's not forget) is a pretty off balance trade off. 

If Duff and Slash are ok w that (Actually they choosed to do that) so I´m ok too and more..I´m fuckin´grateful that they are doing this. I love Chinese Democracy. :P

9 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Who said what I wanted to hear? I didn't.

If they say that it was Axl that forced them to play Chinese songs and that it´s also Axl who is refusing to play more Illusions deep cuts...would you also imply that they are lying?

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

If Slash and Duff are a-ok with the status quo and Chinese material, I am too. 

That's what I think, as well.  Slash and Duff are not Axl's yes men.  They left Axl because they didn't want to 'go along with whatever he wanted' anymore, and they've been doing their own thing for 20 odd years, so it makes no sense that they're suddenly being forced to play CD songs by a tyrannical Axl.  The only sensible conclusion here is that they're playing those songs because they want to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Sosso thanks for posting a link but Slash doesn't say anything bad in it. He says he thinks BH is a great technical player but doesn't play from the heart like a rockstar. I don't consider any of that bad. Anything else 'bad'?

How can he say that Bucket not plays from the heart if he barely knows his material. I know that he plays with a lot of heart and passion. Slash has probably heard only his technical stuff, but not his other stuff.

Edited by Sosso

Just now, Sosso said:

How can he say that Bucket plays from he heart if he barely knows his material. I know that he plays with a lot of heart and passion. Slash has probably heard only his technical stuff, but not his other stuff.

He said he heard a few bits, and that's what he thought of it. Either way it's not 'bad' stuff he's saying :shrugs:

I dont think Slash and Duff playing those CD songs really changes much at all. The music selling business is fucking dead. That album is what it is. The songs receive lukewarm reactions at best live for the most part.

For me personally it doesnt change a whole lot either. I got into the band maybe 2 years before that album was released, so i approached it with a pretty open mind. I like maybe half the album at best. And at the moment they are playing alot of songs of the album that I dont particularly care for(Madagascar, Catcher, Prostitute, Sorry, TIL) and it hasnt really changed my opinion on those songs. 

As far as Axl forcing Slash and Duff to play those songs, I think thats Bullshit. They're playing those songs because they want to. Maybe as a show of good faith to Axl or to gain his trust if they're playing the long game of trying to do more with this band close it on a good chapter.