Has the consensus on Chinese changed since the NITL tour started?

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yeah 

if im not mistaken you wanted the CD era to just keep going on right? CDII ya i'm really excited for that now especially when all 5 originals made the only fucking worthy music that is raking it for this tour - i find it enormously hypocritical to prance to Axl's insecurities playing CD as freebie extra 'values' for this tour to go on and to the demise of real fans that actually want to hear at least some of the old magic rather than a metropolis of fascist led members tinkering around with chevy novas of songs 

The 2007 lineup was my favorite lineup of the band and Chinese Democracy is my favorite GN'R album. If that equates to wanting "the CD era to just keep going", then yes, I guess?

You find it hypocritical that Duff & Slash are playing CD songs. That's cool. Doesn't change the fact that Duff was playing them long before there was a large amount of cash involved and it still doesn't change the fact that Slash said he liked the album when it came out. That was, again, LONG before there was any sort of payday on the horizon. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The 2007 lineup was my favorite lineup of the band and Chinese Democracy is my favorite GN'R album. If that equates to wanting "the CD era to just keep going", then yes, I guess?

You find it hypocritical that Duff & Slash are playing CD songs. That's cool. Doesn't change the fact that Duff was playing them long before there was a large amount of cash involved and it still doesn't change the fact that Slash said he liked the album when it came out. That was, again, LONG before there was any sort of payday on the horizon. 

You're a Frank fan, Russ? Over the 2006 shows which were pretty much Brain.

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Big, big Frank fan. The late 2006 & 2007 shows were absolutely my favorite lineup.

Cool to know! I don't have any problem with Frank, I'm not a drummer, so I have no idea what people are going on about when they talk shit about him, he's not my favourite, Brain is, but Franks seems to do a good job. I have never heard anyone around here single out a lineup with him as being their favourite (since he is the only difference in 2007 line up from 2006). What do you like about Frank?

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

No, it's just a place where you can't argue fact with biased opinions and things you made up. 

buddy i didn't make that up i saw the interview on TV and slash said CD will suck i searched around for it and can't find it because he was really struggling at the time so im sure there was a lot of bitterness there still 

how much of that he really mean who knows, but i'll bet any amount of money he said it 

i don't fucking lie 

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

buddy i didn't make that up i saw the interview on TV and slash said CD will suck i searched around for it and can't find it because he was really struggling at the time so im sure there was a lot of bitterness there still 

how much of that he really mean who knows, but i'll bet any amount of money he said it 

i don't fucking lie 

Probably wasn't the best choice of words on my part to say "things you made up" so I apologize for that, sincerely. 

Slash may have said that Chinese Democracy was going to be the worst album of all time for all I know, but that doesn't change what he said when it was finally released. It also doesn't change the fact that Duff was playing those songs long before there was a big pay day in it.

Those are facts that can't be disputed and no amount of claiming they're playing these songs just to keep Axl happy and not because they actually like them will change that. That's the original point I was arguing with you. You were saying that they hate these songs and they're just going along with playing them for the payday. I gave a couple examples of how that wasn't true in my opinion. Slash said he liked the album way before there was any monetary reason for him to do so. Duff was playing way smaller shows with GN'R and playing CD songs way before there was a huge pay day for him as well. So those two things seem to make a strong case against your claim.

At the end of the day, none of us will ever really know, right? I'm just saying that those two things stand out for me as reasons why playing the CD songs isn't just about the money involved for them. My last response was in reply to your insulting the forum by insinuating everyone here is a "fan boy" just because many others have a differing opinion from you. If you look at this thread alone, you'll see this place is FAR from a fan boy hang out. All opinions are encouraged and welcomed, so it's offensive to me when someone suggests otherwise. I do apologize again for my poor choice of words though as I don't know if that Slash quote exists or not but I also don't have any reason to accuse you of lying about it.

Every time Slash praised Axl's work in creating Chinese Democracy (which he did, many times over) he always added the postscript; "but it's a record the original band never could have conceived." 

I think he admires Axl's artistic instincts and his passion to take it to the limit, but he had no interest in making that album and clearly realizes he would have died trying to get there. 

I would venture a guess that's why there hasn't been any more original material recorded. They're all afraid of trying to chase that dragon, for fear that one or more won't acquiesce and the result will tear the band apart, again.

12 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Every time Slash praised Axl's work in creating Chinese Democracy (which he did, many times over) he always added the postscript; "but it's a record the original band never could have conceived."

I was about to post that same quote. The moment you read that, you don't exactly get the feeling that he was into the idea of playing those songs, even if he liked them as a listener.

I don't think Slash hates those songs but he's not some super fan who's excited and thankful for the opportunity to play them either.

• Like 2

Tried to give Nu Guns a go but that whole era is just 1 big trainwreck.

They don't look or sound like GNR. They don't play the songs well.  CD is not a great album. 

It weirds me out when people say they like Nu Guns or CD more than the original band. Or that Finck was better in Guns than Slash. 

The original band grew up together and created that music while living in LA, surrounded by drink, drugs and hookers. Those songs capture their lives in those moments. 

How anyone could prefer a session musician playing the songs is beyond me. 

Some of those session musicians Have more or less admitted that they liked the pay check and exposure. Some have even admitted not being that into GNR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

For crying out loud, all the evidence you need is a pair of functioning ears and eyes.  Watch any CD videos from the last four or five shows, particularly Madagascar and Prostitute but any will do.  Listen i.e. pay attention to the way Slash and Duff are playing, watch the body language i.e. see how Slash is energised while playing, watch Axl's reaction i.e. see how he listens (usually while waving hands like a conductor) to Slash conquer one of the NuGuns guy's solos, and then nods approvingly.  

If, after that, you are still convinced that Slash and Duff are the hapless victims of evil Axl's tyranny then you deserve to be locked in a room and subjected to Riad n' the Bedouins and My World for 48 hours straight.

Exactly.

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Tried to give Nu Guns a go but that whole era is just 1 big trainwreck.

They don't look or sound like GNR. They don't play the songs well.  CD is not a great album. 

It weirds me out when people say they like Nu Guns or CD more than the original band. Or that Finck was better in Guns than Slash. 

The original band grew up together and created that music while living in LA, surrounded by drink, drugs and hookers. Those songs capture their lives in those moments. 

How anyone could prefer a session musician playing the songs is beyond me. 

Some of those session musicians Have more or less admitted that they liked the pay check and exposure. Some have even admitted not being that into GNR

Pretty much sums it up for me right there... My guess is that 99% of the people that prefer NuGuns were not around in the hey day..  Been a fan since 87 and NuGuns is the farthest thing from the band that I fell in love with.  

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

Even if Slash did say in 2001 that CD would suck, so what? How is what he said when he didn't actually know what the album would be like equally or more valid to what he said when he heard it after it was released? (!)

In one of his interviews after the release he said that the album was "perfect... for him (Axl)", Axl's vocals were awesome and he thought there was some good stuff in there. What I get from that quote is that he thought the album overall was good for what Axl was about but not Slash's thing; he really liked some of the stuff though.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

We also have to take into consideration that people -musicians, for that matter- can change with time. Slash may have been  generally"conservative" as far as his own stuff goes, but he has played/collaborated with a lot of people, some of them from other genres. I think he's more open to different things now compared to the past.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

For crying out loud, all the evidence you need is a pair of functioning ears and eyes.  Watch any CD videos from the last four or five shows, particularly Madagascar and Prostitute but any will do.  Listen i.e. pay attention to the way Slash and Duff are playing, watch the body language i.e. see how Slash is energised while playing, watch Axl's reaction i.e. see how he listens (usually while waving hands like a conductor) to Slash conquer one of the NuGuns guy's solos, and then nods approvingly.  

If, after that, you are still convinced that Slash and Duff are the hapless victims of evil Axl's tyranny then you deserve to be locked in a room and subjected to Riad n' the Bedouins and My World for 48 hours straight.

What do you expect them to do? They're professionals. They're not going to get up there and deliberately half-ass it.  If it were entirely up to him, Slash would never play a song like This I Love. He just wouldn't.

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Probably wasn't the best choice of words on my part to say "things you made up" so I apologize for that, sincerely. 

Slash may have said that Chinese Democracy was going to be the worst album of all time for all I know, but that doesn't change what he said when it was finally released. It also doesn't change the fact that Duff was playing those songs long before there was a big pay day in it.

Those are facts that can't be disputed and no amount of claiming they're playing these songs just to keep Axl happy and not because they actually like them will change that. That's the original point I was arguing with you. You were saying that they hate these songs and they're just going along with playing them for the payday. I gave a couple examples of how that wasn't true in my opinion. Slash said he liked the album way before there was any monetary reason for him to do so. Duff was playing way smaller shows with GN'R and playing CD songs way before there was a huge pay day for him as well. So those two things seem to make a strong case against your claim.

At the end of the day, none of us will ever really know, right? I'm just saying that those two things stand out for me as reasons why playing the CD songs isn't just about the money involved for them. My last response was in reply to your insulting the forum by insinuating everyone here is a "fan boy" just because many others have a differing opinion from you. If you look at this thread alone, you'll see this place is FAR from a fan boy hang out. All opinions are encouraged and welcomed, so it's offensive to me when someone suggests otherwise. I do apologize again for my poor choice of words though as I don't know if that Slash quote exists or not but I also don't have any reason to accuse you of lying about it.

cheers 

i agree with your post and glad were able to reinforce a common goal which is i think is integrity above all 

i like the fact that duff and slash embraced CD in the name of friendship with axl, i respect that 

i just don't like the overwhelming feeling of burrying thee old for the new which there is ZERO NEW to GNR 

if this was to be a nostalgic act which it is - they did not do it and give us very small snippets when adler showed up 

i swear some of the posts come from axl posers which hey we all are but to a certain deegree geez

it doesn't take a genius to know where the real good sound of gnr is from which is 85-93 nothing else - sad but true 

the biggest thing axl has accomplished other than the $$ during NITL is semi legitimizing his solo gargantuan average record through his buds

since that is obviously his main priority aside from the mula then he has indeed won however the idiots that know music remain starved

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

On 08/11/2017 at 2:27 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Ugghhh.. I think Better is the one of the worst of the bunch.. That song is freaking cringe worthy.. I think the title track is OK even though the intro always annoys me.. It is too short to take a piss break and it fits in pretty good where they play it. Madagascar has potential and good elements but sounds terribly outdated with all those effects and Sorry is OK once in awhile...  But all that other garbage is just fucking brutal. There was a point in my life when I thought it was impossible for Axl to write a bad song.. Then CD happened... 

Yeah because shotgun blues is a masterpiece compared to Madagascar right? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

cheers 

i agree with your post and glad were able to reinforce a common goal which is i think is integrity above all 

i like the fact that duff and slash embraced CD in the name of friendship with axl, i respect that 

i just don't like the overwhelming feeling of burrying thee old for the new which there is ZERO NEW to GNR 

if this was to be a nostalgic act which it is - they did not do it and give us very small snippets when adler showed up 

i swear some of the posts come from axl posers which hey we all are but to a certain deegree geez

it doesn't take a genius to know where the real good sound of gnr is from which is 85-93 nothing else - sad but true 

the biggest thing axl has accomplished other than the $$ during NITL is semi legitimizing his solo gargantuan average record through his buds

since that is obviously his main priority aside from the mula then he has indeed won however the idiots that know music remain starved

I disagree with like 95% of what you just said, but I'm glad things cooled down overall :lol: