Marshall Code vs. Boss Katana

Hi all. I've recently purchased a Marshall CODE50 Amp. After much deliberation I decided that it would have a better shot at emulating the kickass Slash tone than the acclaimed Boss Katana. The internet seems to love the Katana much more than the Code however, and though I love my Code, I continue to wonder if the Katana could do better. So here we are. In case you're interested, I'm running an SG with Slash Seymour Duncan's through, so really this all comes down to amp.

You'd certainly get closer with a proper valve Marshall. The DSL15's can be had for dirt cheap, especially used, and being that you've already got the Slash Duncan's you'll be much closer than the emulated sound of the Code.

I realize that doesn't really answer your Katana vs. Code question but if you're strictly looking for "close to Slash" sound then I'm not sure either would nail it. Then again I've never been particularly fond of modelling amps even though some do the job incredibly well.

Of course, if budget isn't an issue, get a Mini Jubilee.

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

You'd certainly get closer with a proper valve Marshall. The DSL15's can be had for dirt cheap, especially used, and being that you've already got the Slash Duncan's you'll be much closer than the emulated sound of the Code.

I realize that doesn't really answer your Katana vs. Code question but if you're strictly looking for "close to Slash" sound then I'm not sure either would nail it. Then again I've never been particularly fond of modelling amps even though some do the job incredibly well.

+1 on using a valve amp generally, although it depends on what context you are using it for; do you want some kind of a fuck around amp to play along to Welcome to Jungle in your living room? (if so, the code should get you close enough) Or are you looking to do some gigs and cover some Gn'R? (if it's this one, you should get yourself a valve amp as they really shine at stage volume)

Check out sites like this one: https://marshallcode.tools/patch/ (interestingly, the EQ settings for the "Slash Live Tone" - https://marshallcode.tools/patch/1432-slash-gnr-slash-live-tone.html -  are the same as the ones used on his real amp, I have mine dialed in roughly the same way (I use a DSL40C) and it is a nice tone in general.

Then you need to decide if it is the AFD tone you are after, UYI tone or the live tone....

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

As a broke kid who could barely muster the money for the Code, I doubt valves will be in the picture. However I’ll go on Reverb and check out prices on the DSL15, and maybe I’ll get somewhere. I live like hundreds of miles from the nearest guitar store with the gear I’m searching for, so really all my information comes from the internet. The modeling amps appeal to me because of their versatility, and their quality has skyrocketed in the past few years, but nothing can’t beat tubes.

DSL15C will be too loud for home playing. The DSL5C would be a bit quieter (and cheaper), but even a 5 watt tube amp is LOUD when you get it going with distortion.

I've enjoyed the Boss Katana the two occasions I've gotten to play one. At that price range, the only thing I'd recommend looking at as well are the Blackstar 1 (or 5) watt combos.

My bedroom amp is a Blackstar HT1M combo. I rarely have the master past 10/11 o'clock; tube amps are loud.

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

DSL15C will be too loud for home playing. The DSL5C would be a bit quieter (and cheaper), but even a 5 watt tube amp is LOUD when you get it going with distortion.

I've enjoyed the Boss Katana the two occasions I've gotten to play one. At that price range, the only thing I'd recommend looking at as well are the Blackstar 1 (or 5) watt combos.

My bedroom amp is a Blackstar HT1M combo. I rarely have the master past 10/11 o'clock; tube amps are loud.

The master volumes on the DSLs are pretty good; my DSL40C sounds nice even on 1 and a bit as the gain is all in the preamp so you don't need the power tubes to be melting before you get some dirt. The term "bedroom volume" is quite subjective though; acceptable loudness levels for me may be way too much for someone who shares a house or lives with their parents.

The 1 watt Blackstars are good fun, I had the 5 watt but became bored of it, it had a grainy quality that couldn't help focusing on. Funnily enough, it sounded great the day I sold it! The DSL40C roars like a motherfucker!!

2 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The master volumes on the DSLs are pretty good; my DSL40C sounds nice even on 1 and a bit as the gain is all in the preamp so you don't need the power tubes to be melting before you get some dirt. The term "bedroom volume" is quite subjective though; acceptable loudness levels for me may be way too much for someone who shares a house or lives with their parents.

The 1 watt Blackstars are good fun, I had the 5 watt but became bored of it, it had a grainy quality that couldn't help focusing on. Funnily enough, it sounded great the day I sold it! The DSL40C roars like a motherfucker!!

Yeah bedroom levels for a homeowner vs. a kid at still at home or an apartment renter (me :() are pretty different.

For my situation, the DSL40C was way overkill for home use (though I intended to bring it to gigs). It did have a very good MV, and I could get decent-sounding low volume tones. 

I had the SL5 for some time as well. On 5 watt mode, it was too loud for apartment use. I kept it on 1 watt mode pretty much always. 

In the HT1M, I swapped the Blackstar speaker out for a Celestion offering, and that made the feel much tighter and sound a bit clearer/less fizzy. And swapping preamp tubes could've done it too. I forget what the stock tubes were, but I didn't keep them. 

12 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Yeah bedroom levels for a homeowner vs. a kid at still at home or an apartment renter (me :() are pretty different.

For my situation, the DSL40C was way overkill for home use (though I intended to bring it to gigs). It did have a very good MV, and I could get decent-sounding low volume tones. 

I had the SL5 for some time as well. On 5 watt mode, it was too loud for apartment use. I kept it on 1 watt mode pretty much always. 

In the HT1M, I swapped the Blackstar speaker out for a Celestion offering, and that made the feel much tighter and sound a bit clearer/less fizzy. And swapping preamp tubes could've done it too. I forget what the stock tubes were, but I didn't keep them. 

I would like an SL5, but I don't have room for another combo. I played my HT5 through an Orange PPC 1x12 with a V30 in it, which was much nicer than the stock blackbird speaker, but it still didnt hit the spot.

I do prefer the HT1 to the 5, maybe it is down to the different power tubes used in each one. I never swapped the tubes in the HT5 but given the amount of op-amp it used in the signal path, I wasn't sure if it would make any difference. 

21 hours ago, Sam Weisenburger said:

As a broke kid who could barely muster the money for the Code, I doubt valves will be in the picture. However I’ll go on Reverb and check out prices on the DSL15, and maybe I’ll get somewhere. I live like hundreds of miles from the nearest guitar store with the gear I’m searching for, so really all my information comes from the internet. The modeling amps appeal to me because of their versatility, and their quality has skyrocketed in the past few years, but nothing can’t beat tubes.

That's fair. Then another cheap modelling option would be Amplitube with the Slash pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sam Weisenburger said:

I tried the Amplitube Slash app for iPad, with an iRig 2. I found the tones to be appalling. It all seemed very cheap and stale, with a lot of clipping and no in betweens gain-wise. Is it the iPad? Listening to that cover it sounded tons better than anything I got out of Amplitube.

Maybe the iRig is shit, I don't know. I have never heard the iRig/iPad combo so can't comment on that. What pickups/guitar do you have? Hot pickups can sometimes cause problems with hi-Z inputs on interfaces. 

1 hour ago, Sam Weisenburger said:

My SG has Slash Seymour Duncan’s, so a tad hotter than normal. I teeter towards the Amplitube for iPad being lesser software, because even the Tonebridge by Ultumate Guitar for free sounds miles above Amplitube. I bet the app is worse than the computer program.

The Seymours should be fine, I was thinking more like active EMGs. Maybe the iPad version isn't so good then. Did you try the setting on your code from the link I posted for the Slash live tone?

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The Seymours should be fine, I was thinking more like active EMGs. Maybe the iPad version isn't so good then. Did you try the setting on your code from the link I posted for the Slash live tone?

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Yeah. Ive found multiple presets that I’ve tweaked to my liking for my tones. Honestly, I dont hear any problems. I just hear so often how great the Katana is that I thought  I’d ask if anyone around preferred it for GNR tones. But with the Code Ive dialed in a great UYI fat tone that I love. Your preset as well really fit right on the money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam Weisenburger said:

Yeah. Ive found multiple presets that I’ve tweaked to my liking for my tones. Honestly, I dont hear any problems. I just hear so often how great the Katana is that I thought  I’d ask if anyone around preferred it for GNR tones. But with the Code Ive dialed in a great UYI fat tone that I love. Your preset as well really fit right on the money.

Sounds like you're sorted then, glad I could I help!

Just to put my oar in the water...

I've owned a Marshall Code 50. I currently own a Marshall DSL40 and play with a couple of Epi Les Pauls. One has Slash pickups, the other has Whole Lotta Humbucker.

I also own the PC version of amplitube and own an iOS version of amplitube that I play with an Irig.

To me, the closest I can get to the Slash sound is the PC Amplitube. I can tweak the heck out of it and get some cool variations, but you definetly need to spend the time. The mobile amplitube? Not so much. The Irig is pretty weak. Its the equivalent of a cheap cheap guitar cable, so it will only go so far with tone. 

I prefer PC Amplitube. More so than my tube Marshall, if we're talking the Slash tone.

The Marshall Code 50, sorry to say, is a very weak piece of equipment. Even for emulation. Its limitations are frustrating and I returned it almost immediately to guitar center.

There is definitely a difference in quality between PC amplitube and iOS, which also comes down to what cable you're using to connect with. My cable was a Rocksmith leftover. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 3:48 PM, OmarBradley said:

I usually use my old MacBook w/ garageband in my apartment. But when I want to aound good I still use my amps. My tube amps are both very loud but they sound really good on 1 or 2 with a dirt box running through them. I can easily get good "low" volume Slash tones through them.

Ive briefly played the Katana and Code and realize low cost modeling amps serve their purposes. The Katana is awesome for the money. I may buy one for my gf's electric violin. The Code seemed just fine for practice and home use and got some cool sounds when ai tried it too. It wont sound exactly like the amps it is emulating, but if used at home itd be just fine