what's up with all these sex scandals?

action

as for myself, i'm past caring. why wait decades? why now, now that it is "a thing" to accuse the next popular figure?

I think the idea, understandably, is that sexual assault, all that mularkey, is kind of embarassing and painful and sort of something that one is supposed to be ashamed of, so when one comes out with a story its easier for other people to follow cuz like, y'know, fuckin' hell, 'x' famous person can do it, then so can I.  Fair dues it can be abused, as can anything.  Its like anything innit, a few brave souls make the step first and it sets an example for others.

As far as the go to court thing, yeah, I guess you're right but at the same time maybe they don't want that, maybe they don't wanna have a big court case, spend lawyers fees, risk the opposite number being found not guilty, the whole palava and disruption of ones life that such a case entails but at the same time they do wanna highlight the fact that this thing happened and thereby contribute to the on-going, and in my view righteous, enterprise of highlighting how prevalent this shit is in the entertainment industry.  I get that there are two sides to this and, y'know, the bloke on the other end could as much be a victim and prey to not wanting to take HER to court over a false accusation to clear their name for some of the same reasons but...I dunno, I guess its a dirty game whatever way you hold it up.

But broadly speaking, I dunno, you see a lot of blokes getting VERY emotionally involved in the defence of a bunch of tree jumper celeb creeps, as if this is like the televised trial of masculinity...but its not really.   Not that I think this shit will solve anything or achieve much, other than just make a few more people aware, that alone is a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Also Dave Mathews violinist. I know everyones thinking "that band still exists?" Followed by a collective: "and they have a violin player?!?!"

Well, they did. They will sound identical with out him and still suck shit.

OK, so Harvey Weinstein might've sexually assaulted a 500 bajillion women...and he gets bail for a million dollars.  Tupac Shakur, back in 1994, got done for third degree sexual assault in a rape case with about 4 other guys, third degree sexual assault being the equivalent of touching her arse...and his bail was also a million dollars, this is 24 years ago too. 

morgan freeman now.

you can't make this up.

yes, there are sexual criminals like weinstein. not everyone is harvey weintstein though. Those are the two principles we should both put in the scale.

are there still people out there who are not accused of sexual assault? the list gets shorter every day.

is it a problem of men? a problem of women? or a problem of no one at all but mass hysteria?

It's hard not to become cynical in the face of these reports, but I think by now, we can safely conclude it "was all a bit overblown from the get go". the other conclusion, that every accusation is entirely based on facts, I think we can shove in the trash bin

Edited by action

On January 16, 2018 at 3:35 AM, action said:

everyone wants their 5 minutes of fame, it seems.

as for myself, i'm past caring. why wait decades? why now, now that it is "a thing" to accuse the next popular figure?

had these facts been as severe as claimed, surely the victims would have called the police? but no, they chose to let it all continue, fully knowing it would happen again. all because the "victims" wanted to bathe in the light of stardom. but, at the cold light of morning, they realised stardom wasn't as great as they thought, they are dissapointed, and they feel stupid. And now that everyone and their grandma is accusing people left right and center, they feel they can undo some of their stupidity and naivity.

innocent, until proven before a court.

go to the cops when you want to accuse someone. but stop using social media. i've had enough of this embarrassing shit.

12 minutes ago, action said:

morgan freeman now.

you can't make this up.

yes, there are sexual criminals like weinstein. not everyone is harvey weintstein though. Those are the two principles we should both put in the scale.

are there still people out there who are not accused of sexual assault? the list gets shorter every day.

is it a problem of men? a problem of women? or a problem of no one at all but mass hysteria?

It's hard not to become cynical in the face of these reports, but I think by now, we can safely conclude it "was all a bit overblown from the get go". the other conclusion, that every accusation is entirely based on facts, I think we can shove in the trash bin

Im not following your train of thought, unless perhaps it has evolved between your two posts?

You wrote "Innocent, until proven before a court" And you emphasized it in bold with underline. But then in the second post you state as fact that Weinstein is a "sexual criminal."  But Weinstein hasn't been tried.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Im not following your train of thought, unless perhaps it has evolved between your two posts?

You wrote "Innocent, until proven before a court" And you emphasized it in bold with underline. But then in the second post you state as fact that Weinstein is a "sexual criminal."  But Weinstein hasn't been tried.

innocent, until proven before a court is the main part.

if you confess, it's another case where innocense is out of question. It's not a contradiction, but rather an addition to my previous point. I stand by both posts to this day, though my view on the metoo campain evolves with every new case.

it's a case of "improving understanding" as I like to call it. With each new case, new light is shed on the phenomenon. views may alter slightly, but the core principles remain the same.

13 hours ago, action said:

innocent, until proven before a court is the main part.

if you confess, it's another case where innocense is out of question. It's not a contradiction, but rather an addition to my previous point. I stand by both posts to this day, though my view on the metoo campain evolves with every new case.

it's a case of "improving understanding" as I like to call it. With each new case, new light is shed on the phenomenon. views may alter slightly, but the core principles remain the same.

Okay, but for what its worth, I still dont understand why you call weinstein who denies the accusations and charges a "sexual criminal" when he hasn't been tried or found guilty?  It seems like it is a contradiction?  

I think its cool that you can evolve with the info. I believe that every single person who is willing to be open to improving understanding will do just that and its so important. I hope more are like you.

I think its important to note that "innocent until proven guilty" is a legal issue, a contract between individuals and the collective with the various levels of government who have courts. We as individuals have no social contract saying the same to one another. We need to be careful, responsible and thoughtful but the legal contract between citizens and the state is no sort of frame work for social interactions. Even within the legal contract look at Cosby; he wasnt convicted in first case and then he was in the second - clearly he was guilty the entire time. Its not a term that is intended to reflect reality. It is a vital safeguard in the criminal justice system, but it is only that. 

Maybe this is your view on Weinstein and I just didnt understand? That in his case there is simply too much evidence in the public sphere - including how he fled - and are therefore wiling to acknowledge his guilt?

Edited by soon
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, soon said:

Okay, but for what its worth, I still dont understand why you call weinstein who denies the accusations and charges a "sexual criminal" when he hasn't been tried or found guilty?  It seems like it is a contradiction?  

I think its cool that you can evolve with the info. I believe that every single person who is willing to be open to improving understanding will do just that and its so important. I hope more are like you.

I think its important to note that "innocent until proven guilty" is a legal issue, a contract between individuals and the collective with the various levels of government who have courts. We as individuals have no social contract saying the same to one another. We need to be careful, responsible and thoughtful but the legal contract between citizens and the state is no sort of frame work for social interactions. Even within the legal contract look at Cosby; he wasnt convicted in first case and then he was in the second - clearly he was guilty the entire time. Its not a term that is intended to reflect reality. It is a vital safeguard in the criminal justice system, but it is only that. 

Maybe this is your view on Weinstein and I just didnt understand? That in his case there is simply too much evidence in the public sphere - including how he fled - and are therefore wiling to acknowledge his guilt?

it's my understanding that weinstein has handed himself over to the police, though I admit I havent looked into it much further. now I'm not sure if he confessed or not lol.

https://mashable.com/2018/05/25/harvey-weinstein-surrenders-police/?europe=true&#QplLQrpHYmqK

22 minutes ago, action said:

it's my understanding that weinstein has handed himself over to the police, though I admit I havent looked into it much further. now I'm not sure if he confessed or not lol.

https://mashable.com/2018/05/25/harvey-weinstein-surrenders-police/?europe=true&#QplLQrpHYmqK

He didn't confess. And he's got a bull dog lawyer who indicated he will plead not guilty. I guess thats were the confusion came from.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:48 PM, action said:

morgan freeman now.

you can't make this up.

I personally have serious doubts about the Morgan Freeman accusations.  For starters, why now?    And the main accuser is basically accusing him of putting his hands on her back.  Like seriously?  I hope he counter-sues for defamation.  

4 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

I personally have serious doubts about the Morgan Freeman accusations.  For starters, why now?    And the main accuser is basically accusing him of putting his hands on her back.  Like seriously?  I hope he counter-sues for defamation.  

the allegations are career and character - destroying. He's a 80 year old man and no doubt is all of this hitting him hard.

we live in a world, where respect for elders has gone away. I don't see much considerations of humanity anymore thanks to social media and tabloids. All for the benefit of a good story. That the life of a 80 year old man is ruined, is a minor issue (if at all). last time we saw so little humanity towards elder people was some time during the nazi regime I guess.

The victim better have solid proof of the claims. IF NOT, then Freeman should consider a counteraction for slander and the "victim" should spend a couple of years in jail so she can consider what damage she has done with her stupid accusations. But it will already be too late, as the label is set and very hard to remove. It's not only important for people like morgan freeman, but also to real victims of sexual assault who may otherwise fall victim to disbelief and mockery.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, action said:

the allegations are career and character - destroying. He's a 80 year old man and no doubt is all of this hitting him hard.

we live in a world, where respect for elders has gone away. I don't see much considerations of humanity anymore thanks to social media and tabloids. All for the benefit of a good story. That the life of a 80 year old man is ruined, is a minor issue (if at all). last time we saw so little humanity towards elder people was some time during the nazi regime I guess.

The victim better have solid proof of the claims. IF NOT, then Freeman should consider a counteraction for slander and the "victim" should spend a couple of years in jail so she can consider what damage she has done with her stupid accusations. But it will already be too late, as the label is set and very hard to remove. It's not only important for people like morgan freeman, but also to real victims of sexual assault who may otherwise fall victim to disbelief and mockery.

I agree.