One of Axl's finest moments \m/

Based strictly on this performance, Axl wears the crown. Mick tried to kick it up when Axl took over with his dancing but couldn't do it.  Axl shined like the crazy ruby he is.

Izzy was glorious , he looked like he was really enjoying himself , in his element for sure 

Edited by Pishy
  • Like 1

Always was one of my favorite performances. Axl‘s voice, his moves, the whole attitude made everything else look pale in comparison. Mick‘s moves were great but Axl‘s were just glorious. His prime!

Compared to Tom Petty Mick couldn’t smile so much at Axl‘s talent, it seems. Even though we know Axl wasn’t there for rehearsals, nobody knew  where he was and was pissing everyone off. Maybe understandable, still such a great talent.

Seeing Izzy perform is always a sight for my sore eyes, he never gets any camera time. He looks quite happy up there with his idols.

Edited by Tori72

It seems that Mick Jagger was using a teleprompter before Axl started doing it.  It also seems that Axl was a bit too inspired by the Rolling Stones concert setup.  The Stones had the gospel style backup singers, keyboard player and a horn section at this show.  It's like Axl wanted to emulate them but then took everything over the top in a circus-like GNR way.

Izzy was inspired by the Stones' music, Axl got inspired by the wrong things from them.

To the point of this thread, it was an incredible performance by Axl.  He almost sung it like a little like a country singer.  Almost like Kid Rock (yes, I know he isn't a country singer, per se) but with better vocals.

Axl is in full on primal, next-level force by the 4:30 mark through the end...and Mick is clearly competing with him at that point (as opposed to Tom Petty who just appreciated him on the Free Fallin duet), really the ultimate compliment.  When people ask me why I believe Axl was/is the best frontman rock has known, this is the clip I show.

• Like 3

man listen to that crowd, I am not sure Mick was to happy about Axl and Izzy almost upstaging them, GNR were the last of these Rock N Roll bands that ruled the earth, Rolling Stones were the first, than Led Zeppelin, than GNR, unfortunately GNR's reign only lasted a few years

on a side note the excessive snake dancing is definitely a little silly to look at now

Edited by k12
  • Haha 1

It really is a top shelf performance!  I bet Axl could come near that now if he had that caliber of drummer.  Well, Watts is untouchable, but I mean a Axl Rose Caliber drummer.

Love that midrange, very "singing" voice he's using for most of it!!

• Like 1

Actually I would LOVE LOVE someone to come upstage to Axl and musically duel him like Axl did to Mick. :headbang: Someone cocky and wild and hugely talented, fearless in the eye of a living legend. Shouldn't be that hard, GnR only lives in nostalgia, the Stone were still strong and going at the time.

But there is noone in rock n' roll  self assured and wild enough to fucking sing Axl against the wall. Or is there?

2 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Actually I would LOVE LOVE someone to come upstage to Axl and musically duel him like Axl did to Mick. :headbang: Someone cocky and wild and hugely talented, fearless in the eye of a living legend. Shouldn't be that hard, GnR only lives in nostalgia, the Stone were still strong and going at the time.

But there is noone in rock n' roll  self assured and wild enough to fucking sing Axl against the wall. Or is there?

The only singer I've come across the last ten years that can hold a candle to Axl (either in his prime or even now) is Aaron Bruno of AWOLNation.  He's got the range and the vocal power similar to what Axl in the late 80s and still does when he chooses to let it all out.  .  

4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yep, without question one of his finest performances.  Look at how he walks on full of swagger (and so young to be so confident going up against a living legend!) then he hears the crowd reaction and smiles in acknowledgment.  I love that part.  Beautiful vocals.

add to that The Stones where apparently filthy with him because he missed the rehearsal of the song and he knew it, still no fucks given.