Do You Consider Duff as One of the Best Bass Players?

His playing on the GNR albums is incredible!  He's definitely under appreciated.  Hamilton might edge Duff out in that Hamiltons live playing is really tight too. For like half of RHCPs career Flea was impersonating a monster bass player but the second half he's been really musical.  I think they are all top five/ten rock bassists.  Duffs style seems so quintessentially rock n roll that its easy to take for granted, but who else does it like him?  Id say no one!

Out side of Rock N Roll... their still not bad, but the guy playing jazz, late night for tips only, up the street from me kicks their asses.

He has a realy a bas sound that is special, and his punk back ground , really diffines him from other bas players. how he plays his bas is raw, i like it. he has his own sound, like Slash has. With SMKC, Tod kerns does a great job (really like his playing, and he has a great tallent) But it is not Duff....

I once ventured onto a bass nerd forum (yes, such a thing exists) seeking an answer to this question and was pleasantly surprised when most of the members thought very highly of Duff and said that he did a stellar job for the genre.  There were only a few who didn't think much of him and they were into jazz.  

The best at what?  Its a weird question.  I mean people are naming all these other exceptional bass players but I'm not sure music works that way.  You could put some kind of prodigy in Duffs place in GnR, a Bootsy or a John Entwhistle...would they do Duffs job better than Duff?  I'm not sure they would.  In fact I'm sure they wouldn't.  The way I see it is his job is being the bass player for Guns n Roses and he is the best bass player for Guns n Roses, as far as being the best ever, or in some top ten, it all depends on your criteria.  Asking if he's better than 'x' bass player, whether it's Flea or Jaco Pastorius is kinda missing the point.

And the same goes with Slash, is he like, one of the greatest guitarists of all time?  I don't think he is and I love Slash but I'm sure umpteen people on here would disagree with me, he wouldn't even make my top ten, there's tons I'd put ahead of him, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Johnny Thunders, Pete Townshend, Johnny Ramone etc etc etc, tons of people would say he's better than most of those but...take all those guys and put them in each otherses band and they wouldn't fit, all those guys made iconic music which has given them a context within which their reputation belongs.  And the same goes for Duff, remember we're talking about rock n roll here, musically speaking, in terms of like high end proficiency, most rock n roll musicians are kinda shite, its a rudimentary kind of music. 

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The way I see it is his job is being the bass player for Guns n Roses and he is the best bass player for Guns n Roses, as far as being the best ever, or in some top ten, it all depends on your criteria.  Asking if he's better than 'x' bass player, whether it's Flea or Jaco Pastorius is kinda missing the point.  remember we're talking about rock n roll here, musically speaking, in terms of like high end proficiency, most rock n roll musicians are kinda shite, its a rudimentary kind of music. 

This is pretty much the answer the bass nerds gave - they approved of his work for the rock genre and for GNR. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

I'd want the opinion of another bass player

also want to inject a little love for Geezer in this thread :headbang:

Thank you.  If I had any likes left I'd give you a dolphin.  Tommy bloody Stinson's thread has 39 replies to Duff's 20.  It's not right on a GNR forum.  It's just not cricket. 

Id like to think that theres a reverence for Duff and thats why its the Tommy thread that was quickly derailed about peripheral stuff, making it longer.

Duffs baselines are so well crafted and executed that they seem basic.  Not so: his playing on Guns albums is the perfection of rock n roll bass.  His style embraces the earliest rock forms right through newer forms, up to the date he recorded his last lines with Guns.  He anchors groove and boogie while also being the most melodic of rock bassists. That plus his signature bass intros to many of the tunes are absolutely exquisite and properly communicate "you think this is awesome so far? You have no idea whats about to happen to you!"