Your opinion about Tommy Stinson

There is a thread about Duff and I thought that a discussion about Tommy would be interesting as well. 

He is probably in the Top 10 of my favourite bassists. I really like his work with bands like The Replacements and Guns N' Roses.

Here are some examples: 

Edited by Sosso

I heard that one of Duff's early bands was the opening act for a Mats gig back in the '80s. He was heavily influenced by Tommy, who was a etablished musician even before GN'R had played their very first gig in March 1985.

The whole sub bass and electric bass - while cool in its way - kinda limited ones ability to hear his distinct style on some of CD.  OMG isnt a favourite of mine in general but at least one can hear him. He really shines on Catcher imo.  He's doing what he needed to to with such a large band - playing foundational and simple parts.  I think Duff might've still done that and managed to throw in some more individuality to it though.

His playing in Replacements is fantastic.  

I really like him as a guitarist and songwriter.  Been listening to Fast and Hard and lots of FNIKM stuff lately.  Actually that disc has stylistic similarities with solo izzy stuff imo, which i also like a lot. 

I despise the he bullied people including Buckethead.  He seems to have matured a lot by now.  He's done right by his daughter.  I do hope for him that he can once and for all get the bottle tempered.  He looks like death sometimes, even recently, and it makes me sad.

i've always found him an incredible douchebag. i dunno why, it's a gut feeling. piyama's on stage weren't cool for like, ever.

highly annoying piyama stinson is highly annoying.

there's rumours flying around of him hindering Axl in finishing chinese democracy (even though Axl did most of the sabotaging himself) and reveling in being a paid hand. easy money.

whatever did he do for GNR other than keeping the inertion going? oh yes, he made that brilliant track riad and the bediouns. if i never have to hear that shite again, i'm a happy bastard

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have honestly never listened to The Replacements. Couldn't name you a single song of theirs. 

I would put their albums in the punk/alternative category. 

A thread devoted entirely to Duff on the topic of bass is rare as....has it even happened before in the history of this forum? LOL  Anyway, couldn't you have let Duff's thread enjoy the limelight for a tad longer before moving right along...? <_<

I don't particularly like Tommy's personality from what I have read/seen of him in interviews and what not, though I admire him for dropping Guns to take care of his daughter.  Not sure I like the influence he had on NuGuns towards the end either...but he is a good player and because I love Riad more than life itself I have to give him credit for his awesome work there.  Plus Duff respects and admires him so there's that.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

Considering the Mats are one of the greatest bands of all time, Tommy already had a litney of terrific albums before joining Guns. As for his work in GnR, thanks to the Rock Band mastertracks -- we can finally hear it clearly and it owns.

Always liked Tommy. 

• Like 1

He did his job and was a big part of a lineup that used to mean a lot to me and played on an album I love a great deal 

So he is cool in my book, his time in the band came to a nice, natural end and paved the way to better things. 

Thanks, Tommy! I'd gladly check him out at a solo/Bash and Pop show around me because of that

I'm not too familiar with the Replacements, but what I know I like. After Karl Mueller of Soul Asylum died in 2005, he stepped up, because Karl wanted Tommy to replace him in the band, so he played in Soul Asylum for about seven years and made two records with them, while being in GnR, so I respect that because he definitely helped the band move on after Karl passed away.

Edited by EvanG

A guy who has never written a memorable bass line or any song woth listening more than once. Joined Axl's GNR although he hated the band and all it represented for some easy money. Awful stage presence and on his last days with Axl's band he seemed bored/drunk/both all the time. Nobody listens to the Replacements, nobody. Nobody cares about them and nobody ever will. They are a footnote in music's history. Tommy is a lucky guy I'll give you that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maynard said:

Nobody listens to the Replacements, nobody. Nobody cares about them and nobody ever will.

Didn't all the cool kids in the 80s listen to them? I'm too young to remember, but that's what I always thought.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Didn't all the cool kids in the 80s listen to them? I'm too young to remember, but that's what I always thought.

I was a teenager in the 80s and didn't listen to them, though I'd heard of them, but that's just me...can't speak for a generation! lol 

Edit: I also wasn't cool.  LOL

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1