Jump to content
Sosso

Your opinion about Tommy Stinson

Recommended Posts

I think that Tommy was not only a skilled bass player, but also a great singer.  His voice was one of the things I missed the most when I went to a GN'R concert this year. Songs like My Generation, Sonic Reducer or Holidays in the Sun sounded very good with him on lead vocals.

Edited by Sosso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with Tommy's playing - he seems like a good player on par with Duff although he doesn't have Duff's mastery over creating a memorable bassline. Duff has a pop sensibility and a style that suits guns better imho. My issues with Stinson are more re: his "attitude".

For all his punk rock posturing, the guy took a paycheck gig with Nu Guns and has admitted that multiple times. That's a huge blow to his integrity as a musician regardless of what he may have achieved prior to Guns. I don't know how you spin this into a positive thing when someone openly says they are in it for the money and plays politics in the band to orchestrate the exit of other, more talented members.

He seems like a complete dick for what he did in Nu Guns. He had a good role to play in the exit of Buckethead and the stagnation of that band. Why would anyone bully such humble guys like Bucket and Bumble? Even Brain was bullied initially by Tommy. Three guys with world class talent compared to Tommy. Imho, he had zero stage presence from what I've seen in the nu guns bootlegs.

But maybe he's incredible in The Replacements - so without taking anything away from his abilities, I can't say that he made a great impression in Nu Guns for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

Lol. You're completely out of your element in this discussion. First you claimed nobody listens to the Replacements, now you're backpeddling w/ their influence not being significant.

They are highly influential to this day and to huge alt acts of the late 80s-90s as Len pointed out thoroughly. They have 4 or 5 albums that are consistently on best of the 80s lists/retrospectives. You're way off lol

 

I said it once and I'll say it again. Nobody listens to the Replacements. Nobody wakes up in the morning and goes "Man, I'll pop in that Replacements classic album today", No-fucking-body.

 

Highly overrated band that nobody cares about. Stimsons is mediocre at bass playing and composing. Guy is lucky Axl gave him a call, his carreer should have ended decades ago.

 

But hey, if you think they are influential or any good, it's okay. I won't be personally offended like you were by my post.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I don't have a problem with Tommy's playing - he seems like a good player on par with Duff although he doesn't have Duff's mastery over creating a memorable bassline. Duff has a pop sensibility and a style that suits guns better imho. My issues with Stinson are more re: his "attitude".

For all his punk rock posturing, the guy took a paycheck gig with Nu Guns and has admitted that multiple times. That's a huge blow to his integrity as a musician regardless of what he may have achieved prior to Guns. I don't know how you spin this into a positive thing when someone openly says they are in it for the money and plays politics in the band to orchestrate the exit of other, more talented members.

He seems like a complete dick for what he did in Nu Guns. He had a good role to play in the exit of Buckethead and the stagnation of that band. Why would anyone bully such humble guys like Bucket and Bumble? Even Brain was bullied initially by Tommy. Three guys with world class talent compared to Tommy. Imho, he had zero stage presence from what I've seen in the nu guns bootlegs.

But maybe he's incredible in The Replacements - so without taking anything away from his abilities, I can't say that he made a great impression in Nu Guns for me.

He joined Axl's band because it was either that or retirement. The guy is a total hack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maynard said:

He joined Axl's band because it was either that or retirement. The guy is a total hack.

He was in several bands other than the Mats and GN'R through the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sosso said:

He was in several bands other than the Mats and GN'R through the years.

I've been in a lot of bands too. Doesn't mean much does it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maynard said:

I've been in a lot of bands too. Doesn't mean much does it?

His bands were successful

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, maynard said:

He joined Axl's band because it was either that or retirement. The guy is a total hack.

I believe he was working as a telemarketer prior to Axl offering the job. Imagine the balls you need to have to bully Buckethead, a towering monument of artistry and talent. Fuck this guy. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soon said:

Really?  Guns isnt part of Punk lineage?  

No.

Quote

Whats your take on The Clash?  To me they were punk the whole time, but punks have very specific rules - like 'how do you lace your boots?' strict - about at what point the Clash were no longer punk.  And if the clash were no longer punk, isn't that based on ascetic to the same degree as Guns not being punk influenced based solely on a having a hair band look?  Isnt it an ethos that mocks uniforms rather then requires them?

Punk was something that happened for three years in 1976 that was necessary then, its not that important that bands need to attach themselves to it to be credible, fuck the people who think its some sort of knock on The Clash that they stopped fitting into their idea of what is or isn't punk, The Clash were the fuckin' bollocks, whether you wanna call em punk, or rock n roll or new wave or Aunt Maudes pongy dentures or whatever.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maynard said:

He joined Axl's band because it was either that or retirement. The guy is a total hack.

There is no such thing as a musician with a bank balance that isn't a hack, the hack bit is what you get paid for.  All your favourite bands, all my favourite bands, they're all hacks, the term comes from hack writer, which in term refers to hackney horse, hackney horses were used to pull carriages, it means workhorse, it means goes out and does the shame shit over and over and over, thats pretty much the definition of a rock n roll musician, they are entertainment work-horses, they play simple music and go perform it to the public ad nauseum, they are not Beethoven or Wagner sitting up nights, often for years on end, under the patrongage of gentry, slaving over symphonies and doing things with music that change the fuckin' vocabulary of the art form, they are hacks by definition, they make it to go repeat it every night or every other night to masses of people who wanna dance, don't get big ideas about the music you got into from Top of the Pops or MTV boys and girls.  Embrace it, love it by all means but call a spade a spade as well.

Edited by Len Cnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy has played on more great records than anyone else that's ever been in Guns.  This is indisputable. He was touring and recording years before Axl even left Indiana.  Six classic records under his belt before Appetite even came out! 

 

Also lol @ this 'he bullied Buckethead thing'. Stop with that already.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he made a very interesting bass line for There Was a Time's chorus. Plays a bassline thats completely different to the riff being played by the guitars (or even the 1999 demo versions riff, which i think it fits better in).

 

Other than that, he seems like a dick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, maynard said:

I said it once and I'll say it again. Nobody listens to the Replacements. Nobody wakes up in the morning and goes "Man, I'll pop in that Replacements classic album today", No-fucking-body.

I woke up this morning and listened to Pleased To Meet Me after not having listened to it for a long time. Great album! Totally forgot how awesome it is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I woke up this morning and listened to Pleased To Meet Me after not having listened to it for a long time. Great album! Totally forgot how awesome it is.

Funnily enough (though this thread might've had a bearing on it) I was listening to Hootenanny this morning too having woke up with a hankering for The Mats. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy who ?

Can this thread be moved to the NON-GNR section of the forum ?  This has nothing whatsoever to do with GNR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, maynard said:

What a bunch of hipsters :lol:

I can't tell you what a crushing blow it is to be called a hipster, honestly, I dunno how I'm gonna make it through the day :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, maynard said:

What a bunch of hipsters :lol:

The Replacements weren't hipsters. Far from it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

The Replacements weren't hipsters. Far from it. 

Yeah, but he's a jock with long hair... look at his avatar... he doesn't understand!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I can't tell you what a crushing blow it is to be called a hipster, honestly, I dunno how I'm gonna make it through the day :lol:

I see you can't take a joke. No prob man. :)

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, but he's a jock with long hair... look at his avatar... he doesn't understand!

You're tearing me apart Evan! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bastards of Young was the main theme to the soundtrack of my life during a really rad period.  I think it was for the whole crew.  Now it kinda eulogizes the one guy who took his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy Stinson was a class act who was pretty important in NuGuns. He stayed by Axl’s side for the entirety of it and became a millionaire after joining. His singing on Going Down was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, maynard said:

I see you can't take a joke. No prob man. :)

Yes as I’m sure you’ve gathered from my post I’ve consulted a legal specialist on the matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×