Your opinion about Tommy Stinson

2 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I will say that it's too bad for him that Paul Westerberg wasn't serious about The Replacements reunion. 

They were a marvelous band with heart to boot. 

Yeah, but he's not jobless because of that. He still has Bash & Pop and Cowboys in the Campfire.

It wasn't fair to Tommy that Paul didn't share how disgusted he was with himself for reviving the band. 

Maybe they thought it was a really novel idea when they approached it, but I can see why it degraded into something of a commercial revival.

The Replacements on Jimmy Kimmel Live? It is a bit gag inducing and nobody gags harder than Paul. He can't stand a spoon of salt.

I knew who Tommy Stinson and The Replacements were long before he was ever part of GN'R. I didn't (and still don't) like any tunes by The Replacements seeing as it's just not my cup of tea. Having said that, the guy and that band where legendary way before he had anything to do with Guns. 

As for his role in Guns, I'd say: OK I guess? I mean, he filled a role and played on CD so that's good by me I guess. He may have had a much bigger role behind the scenes, but who knows.

12 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Tommy has played on more great records than anyone else that's ever been in Guns.  This is indisputable. He was touring and recording years before Axl even left Indiana.  Six classic records under his belt before Appetite even came out! 

Also lol @ this 'he bullied Buckethead thing'. Stop with that already.

I dunno man, Buckets played on a few hundred great albums...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I dunno man, Buckets played on a few hundred great albums...

Not only this but Slash also played on over hundred records I think. Many of them great as well.

But that's just personal taste. I for one ain't very familiar with The Replacements but what I heard didn't amazed me that much to say the least.

Edited by Free Bird

17 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

There is no such thing as a musician with a bank balance that isn't a hack, the hack bit is what you get paid for.  All your favourite bands, all my favourite bands, they're all hacks, the term comes from hack writer, which in term refers to hackney horse, hackney horses were used to pull carriages, it means workhorse, it means goes out and does the shame shit over and over and over, thats pretty much the definition of a rock n roll musician, they are entertainment work-horses, they play simple music and go perform it to the public ad nauseum, they are not Beethoven or Wagner sitting up nights, often for years on end, under the patrongage of gentry, slaving over symphonies and doing things with music that change the fuckin' vocabulary of the art form, they are hacks by definition, they make it to go repeat it every night or every other night to masses of people who wanna dance, don't get big ideas about the music you got into from Top of the Pops or MTV boys and girls.  Embrace it, love it by all means but call a spade a spade as well.

You are on fire in this thread, son. Keep it up! Enjoying reading it.

• Like 1

I really like him. Loved his suits. 

I feel very conflicted about him leaving Guns, I really miss him but I also like Duff a lot. To be honest I'm not sure who of them I would pick to be in the band if it were up to me.

Have not listened to a lot of the Replacements but Swinging Time is a killer track!

Tommy took the gig offered by Axl because he needed/wanted the dough. And as Paul said “Tommy always wanted to be a star” and  he got to pretend when he was with Axl.    Also younger Tommy/The ‘Mats were the anti GnR.    Tommy “sold” out and had his moment in the sun, his 20 minutes. And now he’s disappeared again.  

A big LOL to anyone who says The Replacements are not well-known/important. I can completely understand why they may not be someone's cup of tea (I happen to enjoy them), but to say they did not pave an important path in alternative rock is ludicrous. Anyone who says that confuses sales figures with cultural importance. Fact is, Tommy has played in two major, influential bands. His playing may not have been as instantly noticeable as Duff's, but Tommy did a fantastic job with Chinese Democracy, played consistently for his sixteen years in the band, and seemed to get Axl hyped and motivated. Obviously, he was not without his personal demons and intra-band conflicts, but the same can probably be said about any past or present member of Guns N' Roses. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2017 at 4:02 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Tommy is a better songwriter than Duff could ever dream of being.

No disrespect for a different opinion but do you mind stating some examples? This is one of the most ludicrous things I’ve read on this forum.

I had honestly never heard of the Replacements until I googled who Tommy Stinson was when he first joined GnR. And I am into music. Maybe they just didn't make it big in the UK. Since then I think I listened to one song on youtube and thought it was rubbish and haven't gone back.

If the bullying rumours are true then he is one of the worst things to happen to GnR. Bucket leaving was the nail in the coffin of NuGnR and it's been downhill since. For a moment there was a chance of new music, relevancy and experimentation.

If the rumours aren't true his bass playing always seemed pretty solid, and I like some of the melodies on CD, although throwing his bass across the stage at people isn't my cup of tea.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

and seemed to get Axl hyped and motivated

what makes you say that? The 15 songs released in 15 years? The cancelled tours? The years of total silence? The way the "band" promoted CD in the media? What makes you think Tommy had any influence on Axl?

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

Whaaaaaat?

not sure if youre being sarcastic and im just not picking up on it but that song really doesnt do it for me. tommy was boring to watch at all the the gnr gigs ive seen him at (seen him about 4 times in the pit) maybe his non gnr stuff is different but i was never able to get into it, and i tried... maybe he was more dynamic before the liquor took its toll idk... his solo spot wasnt that bad, but it made me feel like he wasnt punk enough on the other stuff... just stood there in a suit for the most part

9 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

not sure if youre being sarcastic and im just not picking up on it but that song really doesnt do it for me. tommy was boring to watch at all the the gnr gigs ive seen him at (seen him about 4 times in the pit) maybe his non gnr stuff is different but i was never able to get into it, and i tried... maybe he was more dynamic before the liquor took its toll idk... his solo spot wasnt that bad, but it made me feel like he wasnt punk enough on the other stuff... just stood there in a suit for the most part

I wasn't being sarcastic, I don't find him boring at all on stage. In that clip I posted, which is more a slower song, he's still pretty entertaining to watch in my opinion, but each to his own. I do think his stage presence is probably more suitable for the smaller stages that he played back in the 80s and when he played with Soul Asylum later on, and not so much the big stages he played during his GnR days, so I get your point.