GUNS N’ ROSES Orchestral Arranger PAUL BUCKMASTER Dead At 71

"Grammy Award winning arranger Paul Buckmaster, who worked on orchestral arrangements for Guns N’ Roses' 2008 studio album, Chinese Democracy, has passed away at 71 years of age.

Buckmaster was responsible for orchestra and arrangements on the Chinese Democracy tracks “Street Of Dreams”, “There Was A Time”, “Madagascar” and “Prostitute”. He is also renowned for working with Elton John, Rolling Stones, David Bowie and many others. In 2016 he collaborated with Heart on their Beautiful Broken album."

Source: http://bravewords.com/news/guns-n-roses-orchestral-arranger-paul-buckmaster-dead-at-71

Edited by Sosso

16 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

People can rag on CD as much as they want, but hearing the orchestral and instrumental arrangements really show just how masterfully crafted some of the songs are. It's very sad to see Buckmaster pass. Does anyone know if he done any work on CD II tracks by any chance? I don't know much about the man, but i do love his work on CD.

41 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Does anyone know if he done any work on CD II tracks by any chance? I don't know much about the man, but i do love his work on CD.

I think Buckmaster did orchestrations for just the four songs that appeared on CD. Marco Beltrami, however, did arrangements for four other songs in "Seven", "Thyme", "The General" and "Leave Me Alone". None of which ended up on CD.

EDIT: According to the CD booklet, Beltrami is also credited as orchestra/arrangements on the four Buckmaster CD tracks PLUS "This I Love". Kind of confusing but I assume Axl hired Marco to add more stuff to Buckmasters strings?

Edited by GNR 1991
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

EDIT: According to the CD booklet, Beltrami is also credited as orchestra/arrangements on the four Buckmaster CD tracks PLUS "This I Love". Kind of confusing but I assume Axl hired Marco to add more stuff to Buckmasters strings?

It's possible Buckmaster made the original arrangements, but then Beltrami was hired to re-record them

Like how Brain was forced to re-do Josh Freese's drum parts note for note

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

It's possible Buckmaster made the original arrangements, but then Beltrami was hired to re-record them

Like how Brain was forced to re-do Josh Freese's drum parts note for note

Axl talked about this in that “China Exchange“ Interview. They used two real orchestras and three synth orchestras at some of the songs. 

Real orchestra: Marco Beltrami, Paul Buckmaster

Synth orchestra: Axl, Dizzy, Chris

Edited by Sosso