Re-evaluating Libertad

Towelie

I always felt like something was a bit "off" with this album, but I've been re-evaluating it lately, and there's some quality shit on there. What baffles me is how songs like Messages and Gas And A Dollar Laugh never made the main album tracklist, when dross like Just Sixteen and She Mine did.

I think if VR had put the album out with this tracklist (below), it would've given Contraband a serious run for its money. I have removed She Mine, Get Out The Door, Just Sixteen, Pills Demons Etc and Gravedancer (which sounds like a less inspired rip-off of Fall To Pieces) and replaced them with some of the superior outtakes.

1. Let It Roll
  2. Gas And A Dollar Laugh
  3. She Drives Quick Machines
  4. The Last Fight
  5. American Man
  6. Mary Mary
  7. Messages
  8. For A Brother
  9. Spay
  10. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
  11. Pyscho Killer
  12. Don't Drop That Dime
  • Like 3

Libertad was a fine album i though, good solid little rocker, benefited from being a little more polished and less of a metalist racket like Contraband, which was never GnRs (or Gnr ladses) forte anyway, despite their insistant clinging to it.  Thats why they could never be The Stones, they never had their ear for good music to be inspired by.  Well, that and an insurmountable gulf in talent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Combining Libertad and Contraband gives you a pretty strong album. Lots of filler on both, but the best tracks are quite good.

The production and the mastering are totally awful, though. Compressed mess.

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 8:31 AM, Towelie said:

I always felt like something was a bit "off" with this album, but I've been re-evaluating it lately, and there's some quality shit on there. What baffles me is how songs like Messages and Gas And A Dollar Laugh never made the main album tracklist, when dross like Just Sixteen and She Mine did.

I think if VR had put the album out with this tracklist (below), it would've given Contraband a serious run for its money. I have removed She Mine, Get Out The Door, Just Sixteen, Pills Demons Etc and Gravedancer (which sounds like a less inspired rip-off of Fall To Pieces) and replaced them with some of the superior outtakes.

1. Let It Roll
  2. Gas And A Dollar Laugh
  3. She Drives Quick Machines
  4. The Last Fight
  5. American Man
  6. Mary Mary
  7. Messages
  8. For A Brother
  9. Spay
  10. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
  11. Pyscho Killer
  12. Don't Drop That Dime

An "off" album indeed, real hints of magic but overshadowed by some tragic omissions like Messages and Gas And A Dollar Laugh along with real quality tunes bumped down the list for some pretty weak, dialed in vocal driven tunes like American

Man.

To me, this album just isn’t very good. I didn’t care for it when it first came out, and over the years I’ve given it second and third chances, and I still don’t care for it. Last Fight, For A Brother, and Spay are good songs, but that’s about all I like from it. Mary Mary is just flat out horrible and She Mine and Just Sixteen are pretty cringey as well. Contraband is one of my favorite albums so I had high hopes for the follow up, so I was very disappointed with Libertad. I still can’t understand how a band with so much talent was capable of making such a poor record.