The unhealthy American patriotism

SoulMonster

21 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

You're right. It seems as if  90% of the threads in Anything Goes involving the U.S. are meant to some how bash the U.S.

I'm going to start a positive U.S. thread in Anything Goes every time I see a negative one from now on. :lol:

Do it.  Ive seen your lists so far!  And will be sure to bring the same balance and voice of reason that you have brought here.

Computers:  IBM provided computers and technical support to the Nazis specifically for the holocaust.  

The Bush Dynasty:  Solidified by Prescott Bush who was a banker, illegally and treacherously, for the Nazis doing WW2.  HW and Dubbya maintained the racist disparities in penalty between powder and crack cocaine

Inovation:  Things like velcro, tang, microwaves and mylar come out of the space race.  The space race was part of the cold war.  NASA did so well because they gave a bunch of Nazi war criminals amnesty and secretly brought them to work in NASA and for the MIC.

:lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Do it.  Ive seen your lists so far!  And will be sure to bring the same balance and voice of reason that you have brought here.

Computers:  IBM provided computers and technical support to the Nazis specifically for the holocaust.  

The Bush Dynasty:  Solidified by Prescott Bush who was a banker, illegally and treacherously, for the Nazis doing WW2.  HW and Dubbya maintained the racist disparities in penalty between powder and crack cocaine

Inovation:  Things like velcro, tang, microwaves and mylar come out of the space race.  The space race was part of the cold war.  NASA did so well because they gave a bunch of Nazi war criminals amnesty and secretly brought them to work in NASA and for the MIC.

:lol:

Source?

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Source?

I cant tell if you've a dry wit or are actually asking me to source a joke about things I would say in the future (which are widely known facts btw)?

These are true facts, so they could be brought up, but its would be preposterous to just say computers are bad because of Nazis.  "Nazis" being replacement for KKs "Leftist Conspiracy" theory refrain.  That was the joke.  But here are the facts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_during_World_War_II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott_Bush

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

edit:  forgot one for ya:

https://www.aclu.org/other/cracks-system-20-years-unjust-federal-crack-cocaine-law

Edited by soon

1 minute ago, soon said:

really hope this was an ironic choice, based on his racism and racist rant:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/07/24/wrestler-hulk-hogan-racist-remarks-carroll-dnt-erin.cnn-ap

It was tongue-in-cheek.  Just a cool looking gif representing 80's style, stereotypical over the top patriotism.  If anything, it's poking fun at the stereotype.  Although Hulk was pretty cool back in the day..... It's a shame he got into some controversies later in life.

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

It was tongue-in-cheek.  Just a cool looking gif representing 80's style, stereotypical over the top patriotism.  If anything, it's poking fun at the stereotype.  Although Hulk was pretty cool back in the day..... It's a shame he got into some controversies later in life.

I was 97% sure thats where you were coming from, but thought to check.  Well played!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, soon said:

I cant tell if you've a dry wit or are actually asking me to source a joke about things I would say in the future (which are widely known facts btw)?

These are true facts, so they could be brought up, but its would be preposterous to just say computers are bad because of Nazis.  "Nazis" being replacement for KKs "Leftist Conspiracy" theory refrain.  That was the joke.  But here are the facts:

https://www.aclu.org/other/cracks-system-20-years-unjust-federal-crack-cocaine-law

They didn't make computers specifically for the nazis and the holocaust, you're overstating it. Those were punch cards made by their german subsidiary. This technology did exist before WW2. It did facilitate it, but didn't enable it.

Your source tells me prescott bush was a diretor and shareholder of UBC, but was not involed in aiding nazis directly.

Again, your source tells me that the scientists from the program were all investigated and were considered clear from any crimes, except from one guy that had to face trial in germany anyways and one guy who fled the US out of fear of prosecution, which shows that there was indeed some form of investigation.

Bill Clinton also kept the disparties between powder and crack cocaine

Anyways, why should americans feel ashamed of their country because of a single person and his "dynasty" or any of this?

2 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah IBM didn't even invent what we consider a computer today, nor did they have the technology yet during WWII.

It was invented by a company named  Remington Rand...who purchased  the rights to the technology which was being worked on by students at the University of Pennsylvania....which later became the Univac, then Sperry Univac then Unisys...several years after WWII. 

The machine in the IBM/Nazi controversy was a punch card, lol.

The entire Prescott Bush conspiracy theory thing is just that....a conspiracy theory.  

As far as the cocaine vs crack cocaine thing...I agree, those laws need to be reformed if they already haven't been. 

Edited by Kasanova King

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Weak as piss booze. They even banned the stuff in the 20s.

I'll take your point on the beers but then I hear it ain't hard to get all our gear over there too these days.  And I was more taking my knowledge on this count from shit I've heard as opposed to personal experience, like the old 'in America a single is a double' thing.  I think I heard Joe Strummer say that!  And when you've grown up on the pub measures around here thats a welcome surprise.

52 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Weak as piss booze. They even banned the stuff in the 20s.

Hmm. The craft beer culture is very strong in the US, with cities like San Diego and Portland being absolute beer heavens, and there is no problem finding bars (or shops) with fantastic beers over there. For reference, I recently attended Manchester Beer Festival and then partied in Los Angeles. There is really not that much of a difference when it comes to good bars, a good beer bar will have a variety of beer from 4-12 % alcohol in either place. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Hmm. The craft beer culture is very strong in the US, with cities like San Diego and Portland being absolute beer heavens, and there is no problem finding bars (or shops) with fantastic beers over there. For reference, I recently attended Manchester Beer Festival and then partied in Los Angeles. There is really not that much of a difference when it comes to good bars, a good beer bar will have a variety of beer from 4-12 % alcohol in either place. 

You 'partied'?

Home brewing was still illegal there until the Carter administration.  A guy started a movement to legalize home brewing.  He eventually got to meet Carter in the White House where he hand delivered an illegal home-brew beer.  They sipped the contraband and came to terms.  So by the late 70's/ early 80's it was legalized and people could start to learn to home-brew, with out the pain of tracking down all the ingredients and equipment from the black market.  Home brewing was important to the type of craft brew industry there is today - thats often whose starting up a craft brewery.  Fast forward to Obama having a pair of White House recipes brewed on site for the guests.

Its pretty good stuff for the most part.  Ours in Canada is even better

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Did you hector you new drinking companions on religion?

I never discuss religion when I am out having fun. Controversial topics don't fit in such contexts, people just want to have a laugh and relax. They don't typically want existential and heavy discussions and neither do I. If people bring up religion I try to change the topic, I am annoyed by people who lack social awareness. In arenas where people specifically seek out discussions, on the other hand, where they must expect to meet opposing views, it is a different matter.

Over the years I often get this from people who are unaware of the differences in context between a bar and a discussion forum. People come for different reasons, and have different expectations. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I never discuss religion when I am out having fun. Controversial topics don't fit in such contexts, people just want to have a laugh and relax. They don't typically want existential and heavy discussions and neither do I. If people bring up religion I try to change the topic, I am annoyed by people who lack social awareness. In arenas where people specifically seek out discussions, on the other hand, where they must expect to meet opposing views, it is a different matter.

Over the years I often get this from people who are unaware of the differences in context between a bar and a discussion forum. People come for different reasons, and have different expectations. 

Oh, the irony!!

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh, the irony!!

There are two mistakes being made:

- People mistaking a discussion forum for a social chatting platform and who gets uncomfortable when they are met with opposing and explicit opinions. If you want to chat about trivial things and can't handle differences of opinions, then maybe you should just head out to a bar, hang with like-minded  friends, go to Facebook, etc. A discussion forum is a forum for discussions, not a substitute for a lack of social life.

- People who don't grasp the fact that most people don't want heavy subjects when they just want to have fun. If you can't leave controversies at home, if people avoid your company because you always go on about your pet peeves, then maybe you should find a discussion forum, start a blog, write angry letters to newspapers, etc. That shit is not for social areas like parties, receptions, bars, etc. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

There are two mistakes being made:

- People mistaking a discussion forum for a social chatting platform and who gets uncomfortable when they are met with opposing and explicit opinions. If you want to chat about trivial things and can't handle differences of opinions, then maybe you should just head out to a bar, hang with like-minded  friends, go to Facebook, etc. A discussion forum is a forum for discussions, not a substitute for a lack of social life.

- People who don't grasp the fact that most people don't want heavy subjects when they just want to have fun. If you can't leave controversies at home, if people avoid your company because you always go on about your pet peeves, then maybe you should find a discussion forum, start a blog, write angry letters to newspapers, etc. That shit is not for social areas like parties, receptions, bars, etc. 

@DieselDaisy correct me if Im wrong, but I think youre says its ironic to not discuss religion at a bar because both religion and politics have traditionally been popular topics at the pub?  That even events of historical significance in those arenas began with discussions at pubs?

7 hours ago, soon said:

@DieselDaisy correct me if Im wrong, but I think youre says its ironic to not discuss religion at a bar because both religion and politics have traditionally been popular topics at the pub?  That even events of historical significance in those arenas began with discussions at pubs?

You hang with your mates in a pub you discuss everything. In the British pub culture, where people spent most of their evenings there, knew most people, then every topic is open for discussion. It is an extended home. But when I go out to drink, meet new friends, at a bar, want to have a relaxing evening, then I stay away from controversial topics, like most people would. 

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You hang with your mates in a pub you discuss everything. In the British pub culture, where people spent most of their evenings there, knew most people, then every topic is open for discussion. It is an extended home. But when I go out to drink, meet new friends, at a bar, want to have a relaxing evening, then I stay away from controversial topics, like most people would. 

Yeah, Im the same.  In Canada there was a short lived rebellion that started and ended in the pub - so I thought a history buff like dies would have some good examples, but I misunderstood his point I guess.