European Festival & Stadium/Outdoor tour announced - NITL continues into 2018

Just now, scooby845 said:

You're absolutely right...but

Are you telling me there is no money in Ireland, Scotalnd, Wales, Northern Ireland, Russia (they got 1 date for 150mil population) Czech Republic. Austria, Switzerland?

Download will be paying very handsomely and they do that for the exclusivity.  Aerosmith got to do a London date after 2 of their headline tours (which the Promoter went on record as saying he didn't like giving that concession) but Download simply won't allow full tours around the festival.  Guns got to put on dates not too long after the fest back in 2006 but that was only announced much closer to the festival (and when the festival was sold out I believe). So if you take the Download cash then you're effectively blocking yourself from doing your own shows in the UK.  Don't understand why they didn't do Scotland last year. 

They already went to Ireland, Czech Republic, Austria and Switzerland last year though didn't they?  All smaller countries, second time around is a harder sell too we saw that in the States this year, I can see why they've had their fill

The UK and Europe may well get another 20 date arena tour in the Autumn, it on paper makes more sense than no further shows otherwise they sit around for 6 months to do a handful of shows and then stop? Don't see that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Yes some countries miss out, but surprise smaller countries are included, like Estonia, there are some winners here, it's not as if everybody is being screwed over.

As has been said, if your country misses out, blame it on your promoters, not the band. There's 0 chance they sat around and said, you know what, we've got to go to Tallinn.

Yes@Carburetta you is right,is thing of promoters,not the band👍

45 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Winter time...just think of this like the format of this year...how they announced arena dates just before the summer stadium run started !

I hope your right with the announcements. Right now I’m wondering whether to hold out for an arena tour. As I’ve not seen Guns yet and not got a lot of money I would love to spend that extra getting good seats compared to compromising on a further away show. 

35 minutes ago, northernsoul said:

Download will be paying very handsomely and they do that for the exclusivity. Download simply won't allow full tours around the festival.

So, according to what you're saying - Download profits that much to pay GNR (more than possible 2 sold out stadiums) and still earns something for themselves? I highly doubt that... 

What is the capacity at Donington - 70k? Well that much was at London dates last year... Plus the tickets are cheaper for Download..

Just now, scooby845 said:

So, according to what you're saying - Download profits that much to pay GNR (more than possible 2 sold out stadiums) and still earns something for themselves? I highly doubt that... 

What is the capacity at Donington - 70k? Well that much was at London dates last year... Plus the tickets are cheaper for Download..

Ya like 83 quid for a day ticket! They probably have  3 month UK exclusive ....so that anyone going to THIS summer tour has to use them to see GNR in UK...

They'll be a timed announcement and UK/EU arena dates will come in November/Dec (start) - Just like this year, I can see this happening quite easily...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I hope your right with the announcements. Right now I’m wondering whether to hold out for an arena tour. As I’ve not seen Guns yet and not got a lot of money I would love to spend that extra getting good seats compared to compromising on a further away show. 

Download probably won't sell out (day tixs) until a week before if at all...I went for the day to see Aerosmith this year and got tickets a few days before...
So you have some time on your side to decide and put the feelers out on what's happening with Winter dates !
ALtho I expect the Winter dates to be announced on the Monday after they play Download ! Lots of bands use the festival as an almost launch pad for a winter tour...

I bet this is what'll happen !!

8 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

If I recall correctly, for London shows it was around 300 pounds for EE Golden Circle...

So 83 quid is basically change... ain't it?

Ya...this is one good thing about Download...altho getting there and staying there is a bitch...even if London isn't cheap, it's much less hassle !
This year, I went late, so no hotels...so me and my mate slept at the airport :P

Edited by colonizedmind

I'm so torn, I want to go... but its going to cost me a lot it would seem.

Living in Ireland.  Surprised there aren't more in Ireland / UK

I'm thinking Berlin.  If its the first show in months there could be so much anticipation about setlist and so on.  I don't mind if Axl isn't at his best.

27 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

The tickets aren't cheaper for Download.  The majority of people camp and spend over £200 to do so, plus £20 to park, plus i'd wager AT LEAST £200 on average on site. Camping is around 75k if the demand is there for them to hire the extra land and the arena site holds over 100k.  There were over 100k in the arena for AC/DC I believe.  They paid AC/DC a Kings Ransom too and even built them their own stage.

I bet Download gets around 100k punters through the door and grosses £25M+ that weekend, so yes they can afford to pay them £3M or something equally daft, most of which the band can take home because they don't have insane production costs.  In America weren't they getting $3M a night but they lost $1M of their own fee to cover their own costs? In that scenario 1 Download is worth 2 shows.  Although none of us have the true numbers and can only guess of course.

• Like 1