Bring Brain Back

I think that he should rejoin the band. I really like his groove on the AfD songs and the way he played the CD material. He is basically the perfect drummer for GN'R

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 3

Brain is the best drummer GNR has ever had (even though Steven was the best 'GNR drummer'). I'd be thrilled if he came back into the band, apparently he's still cool with Axl so who knows if he actually is still involved in any studio capacity.

I'm bummed that I never got to see him with Guns, but I did get to see him play a show with Buckethead about a month and a half ago, and he's still a beast. Easily one of, if not my favourite drummer.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

apparently he's still cool with Axl so who knows if he actually is still involved in any studio capacity.

Rumor is that he was involved with GNR instudio work 'till NITL started and recent Melissa interview tells that he and Axl are buddies, but I dont believe he's ever going to do something that big for the same reason he left the band back then.

1 minute ago, default_ said:

Rumor is that he was involved with GNR instudio work 'till NITL started and recent Melissa interview tells that he and Axl are buddies, but I dont believe he's ever going to do something that big for the same reason he left the band back then.

Yea, I've read that he did the remix album post-2010. Hopefully if there's ever a CD-era boxset released, they leave Brain's drumming untouched. I don't dislike Frank, but he's just not as good.

It'd be cool if they let him guest on a CD song or 2 at the LA shows too.

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

It's just a few gigs.

If Brain wanted it, he'd be on drums instead. But the touring life isn't for everyone, and I'm sure at 55 being a drummer isn't really that enchanting.

Chris Slade is over 70 and still at the top of his game. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

Just now, Sosso said:

Chris Slade is over 70 and still at the top of his game. 

Well you're comparing different things.

While Chris Slade does not drum like he used to, he made a great statement still by replacing Phil Rudd on drums last year, because obviously AC/DC means a lot to him.

Brain probably think Guns N' Roses was a lot of fun and that's pretty much it. He's friend with Axl, with Frank, that's cool. Like I said the heavy touring life isn't fancy enough (or too much) for some musicians.

Brain talked about Axl inviting him back and declining out of respect for his understudy, Frank.  Frank must know about this.  So Frank would need to step down.  Hopefully Brain is the only of the two to be on any recordings Axl has.  Or even, wishful thinking, that the 3 are making new tracks with Brain ghosting for Frank on the sessions.  Its not all that rare in rock in general.

Adler, Matt and Brain are all incredible in my books.  For what GNR is today, Brian has a lot to offer in studio.  

Thing is Frank is a permanent member of the band now.

Even if a new album/material comes out he will be siiting behind the kit.

But I agree.. Brain was the BEST drummer GNR land had. Miss his grooving too.

Edited by nikosgnr

24 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I never saw Steven or Matt in the band. Brain played at my first show, so he holds a soft spot in my memories. I would be thrilled to see him back, but as others pointed out, he seems happy being out of a "big" band and doing his own thing. It was rad seeing him show up on 2012 though! 

Did he? What song was it and do you have a link?

1 hour ago, zombux said:

not really sure about that. both Brain and Josh Freese are beasts. and both of them have totally different styles.

Yes but there was not much output from Freese, just 'Oh My God'. There were no shows and Brain replaced all of his drum tracks on Chinese

Brain was on drums for my first Guns show and he was outstanding. Frank fully replaced three months later (also saw Lars play w GnR) and while Frank is ok, I prefer Brain by a lot.

His work on CD (even tho most of it was arranged by Freese) is terrific.