Robin Finck: opinions? Is he a good guitarist?

I know very little about Robin Finck aside from the basics.  I'm wondering if anyone can offer some insight?  Was he a good guitarist for NuGuns?

Also, has Slash ever said what he thought/thinks of him? 

It seems a lot of people here don't like him though I'm not sure why.  

And for this solo, the guy looks like he's got a lot of groove actually.  Is he groovy?  Seems groovy to me, in his own way.  He does look a bit strange but I guess that's a legacy of Cirque du Soleil...I think his SCOM solo is pretty darn good considering it was only his second time playing it.

• Like 3

Robin and Buckethead were the best guitarists for this period. I really liked his guitar tone at the live performances. He also played a solid rhythm guitar at some of the songs.

I also think that GN'R was a much better band for him than NIN. He had zero songwriting credits on the NIN albums, while he had seven songwriting credits on Chinese Democracy. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

@Sosso  Thanks for that.  I'm out of likes, sadly.  I really want to work out which guitar parts he actually plays on the 7 songs and the CD notes aren't specific enough for my untrained ear.  

@Mendez.  Awesome info! Thanks.  OK, Raid is my 2nd favourite song from CD and I've been listening carefully to that trying to work all the parts out.  Which one is right before Buckethead?  Is it possible for you to give me the time on that for this video?  Thought it best to go with album version rather than demo.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@Sosso  Thanks for that.  I'm out of likes, sadly.  I really want to work out which guitar parts he actually plays on the 7 songs and the CD notes aren't specific enough for my untrained ear.  

@Mendez.  Awesome info! Thanks.  OK, Raid is my 2nd favourite song from CD and I've been listening carefully to that trying to work all the parts out.  Which one is right before Buckethead?  Is it possible for you to give me the time stamp on that for this video?  Thought it best to go with album version rather than demo.

His solo is on the antiquiet leak (the demo) not the album. Album is BBF. On the leak, Robin starts with the squeely thing and then Bucket comes in.

What were his 7 songwriting credits on Chinese Democracy?  I thought that Better was his only credited song.

I loved his playing on the record, and when I saw him live with the band.  He's a great guitar player, and the right guy for that particular lineup.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

What were his 7 songwriting credits on Chinese Democracy?  I thought that Better was his only credited song.

I loved his playing on the record, and when I saw him live with the band.  He's a great guitar player, and the right guy for that particular lineup.

Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher in the Rye, Riad N' The Bedouins, Prostitute

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7377

Edited by Sosso

26 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Robin and Buckethead were the best guitarists for this period. I really liked his guitar tone at the live performances. He also played a solid rhythm guitar at some of the songs.

This. "Better", "This i love" are great solos too, and a great work from him.

His tone fits great on classic songs and the NuGnr. But the guy is a little excentric to me...

16 minutes ago, Squid said:

Thanks!

I was confused because my copy of the cd doesn't list him.

I hear you about the confusion.  Just looking at my CD booklet and it does list Finck as playing on album version Riad, along with Bumblefoot and Paul Tobias.  Would LOVE to know which part Tobias played on Riad.  

Sorry to be a pain about it, but can anyone ID where these players come in on the video? 

edit: thanks @Mendez for the video you posted up the page...and for the info on Madagascar...had no idea he did backing vocals on that.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

53 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I know very little about Robin Finck aside from the basics.  I'm wondering if anyone can offer some insight?  Was he a good guitarist for NuGuns?

Also, has Slash ever said what he thought/thinks of him? 

It seems a lot of people here don't like him though I'm not sure why.  

And for this solo, the guy looks like he's got a lot of groove actually.  Is he groovy?  Seems groovy to me, in his own way.  He does look a bit strange but I guess that's a legacy of Cirque du Soleil...I think his SCOM solo is pretty darn good considering it was only his second time playing it.

Because he isn't Slash.

He was the most natural fit for GnR out of all the players they had in nu GnR for me.  He looked the part, sounded the part and had the right energy and presence and was also brave enough to be himself.  

The problem is when you're a hired hand, if what you play goes off what the record sounds like you're deemed sloppy or doing something wrong or you should stick to the original (even though all bands have different live sounds to record usually).  The pro shots from 2006 are very solid musically and I thought Axl and Fink worked the stage pretty well together too. 

I enjoyed that tour and it was the last time Axl looked bad ass.

7 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Holy shit, this is amazing. :blink: 

I wonder what Slash thought of him?  We know he didn't like Buckethead's approach to playing.  

I don't know if he ever talked about him in interviews. Someone should ask him that question!

10 minutes ago, username said:

2006 Finck >>>>>>>>> 2002 Finck

But yeah, I really liked his stuff on the early CD material.

I just wish they'd used Brian May's stuff instead of his on Catcher. 

Bumblefoot played that solo on Catcher, not Robin. But I think that he could have played a great solo on that song.

Edited by Sosso

Robin was a total class act. His playing style wasn't for everyone but I personally loved his take on the old stuff and his work on Chinese Democracy speaks for itself. I've always loved his and Fortus' spot back in '06.

• Like 1