Robin Finck: opinions? Is he a good guitarist?

I agree that we saw two rather different Fincks.  Playing wise that is, haha.  I prefer his live playing on 06' to 02'.  Love his album work.  I can actually see how someone could figure it was him on Catcher, minus the tone.  Catcher is kinda a winding melody line that isnt as easy to predict the next note as it is sometimes in rock.  And to me thats also parts of Fincks style.  To me its a unique 'voice.'  Kinda conceptual, still very human.  I love it.

• Like 1

This video is the reason I started the thread, wanting to know more about Robin.  

The first solo is breathtaking - to me anyway.  This is the tone that I wish Slash had when he tries this solo and I think it's one of the main reasons I can't into Slash's take on this.

And then around the 3:40 mark, just watch him move.  He's like, dancing with the guitar. lol  Echoes of Slash, remember when Slash used to do a bit of a dance on occasion, sometimes with Axl!  Slash was probably wasted but still...

Robin makes me smile here.  He's got moves and he's got a groove going and he looks and sounds like he's having a blast.

Also listen out for Axl's screech at 6:00

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

bad guitar player. I can't understand. He doesn't fit GN'R.

I saw NuGnR once early on in 2002  and he did nothing for me.. I can actually still vividly remember a pretty cringe worthy solo.  Just didn't think he was a good fit for Guns N' Roses and his appearance didn't help.  Not saying he is a bad player.. I'm sure he was great in Marilyn Manson.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I saw NuGnR once early on in 2002  and he did nothing for me.. I can actually still vividly remember a pretty cringe worthy solo.  Just didn't think he was a good fit for Guns N' Roses and his appearance didn't help.  Not saying he is a bad player.. I'm sure he was great in Marilyn Manson.

He never played with Marilyn Manson

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

So when you saw him, he didn't play like he did in the TWAT vid I posted?  Would you say that kind of performance from Robin is not typical?

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

It's amazing that the opinion about Robin has changed that much over the years. Unfortunately not until he left the band

I've always liked Robin. As for the popular opinion, I think people appreciated Robin more once Ashba came along...

33 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

So when you saw him, he didn't play like he did in the TWAT vid I posted?  Would you say that kind of performance from Robin is not typical?

Sorry, I didn't watch the video.. I don't care for that song enough to do that to myself.  I honestly haven't heard enough from Robin to know what is typical. I just remember not digging him at the show I went to and always thought he looked like a tool bag in Gn'R. Can't really comment on much else. Never got into NIN either aside from a couple of their bigger hits. 

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

My bad.. I thought I remembered seeing a video of Manson blowing him on stage or something. Forgot he was from NIN..

Its possible that this happened, even though he wasn't a member.  Not as bad as things I've seen Trent do to Robin on stage though...:nervous:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

This video is the reason I started the thread, wanting to know more about Robin.  

The first solo is breathtaking - to me anyway.  This is the tone that I wish Slash had when he tries this solo and I think it's one of the main reasons I can't into Slash's take on this.

And then around the 3:40 mark, just watch him move.  He's like, dancing with the guitar. lol  Echoes of Slash, remember when Slash used to do a bit of a dance on occasion, sometimes with Axl!  Slash was probably wasted but still...

Robin makes me smile here.  He's got moves and he's got a groove going and he looks and sounds like he's having a blast.

Also listen out for Axl's screech at 6:00

I was at this show. The only reason I went was to see Axl. Like Tom, Robin just doesn't do it for me.  I MUCH PREFER SLASH!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

It's amazing that the opinion about Robin has changed that much over the years. Unfortunately not until he left the band

Its because they saw what an awful guitar player in GNR really sounds like in DJ.

Robin was a great guitar player for the industrial type music. He would sometimes bend the classic slash parts notes too bunch and that is what people took issues with.

If he wanted to he could have played it pretty much like slash but he always put his on spin on the songs.

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

He's never played with MM. Well, that may not true....he may have played with MM while played with NIN

Edited by RJ88
  • Like 1

I agree that’s Finck’s playing was better in 2006 as compared to 2002. He is my favorite Guns guitarist which is an unpopular opinion, but Slash is a close second by literally a hair. I just really liked his solos on Chinese and to me, he improved or added to some of the Appetite, Lies and Illusions tracks with a fresh take on solos that had lots of emotional playing.

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I hear you about the confusion.  Just looking at my CD booklet and it does list Finck as playing on album version Riad, along with Bumblefoot and Paul Tobias.  Would LOVE to know which part Tobias played on Riad.  

Sorry to be a pain about it, but can anyone ID where these players come in on the video? 

edit: thanks @Mendez for the video you posted up the page...and for the info on Madagascar...had no idea he did backing vocals on that.

Sorry I meant to say his backing vocals on the live performances of Madagascar in the last verse

3 hours ago, soon said:

I cant find a video rig-rundown for his time in Guns.  Any one know the specifics?  Sometimes I swear I hear out of phase pickups, but rarely?

I read somewhere that he used alnico II's and a JCM800 in 98/99 in the studio, but have no source for that so dont take my word for it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@Draguns Oh wow! You're so lucky!  What was Axl like?  He sounded pretty good on the vid.  So this performance by Robin didn't move you, huh?  Fair enough.  I like his style...and his dancing. lol

It was the first concert that I went by myself. My friends couldn't go. I met people through the HTGTH forum that night and hung out with them. We were amazed how good Axl sounded during that scream in TWAT. I  still remember one guy saying he still has it..

The one thing that I have to admit, though, is that I learned you can go to any concert by yourself and still have fun if you are interested in that band along with meeting new people.