Robin Finck: opinions? Is he a good guitarist?

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Grab yourself a drink of this and sit back while you ponder that last remark,  

I know even less about this guy, that's how little attention I paid to that lineup for all those years. But just from youtubing him for a minute, I wouldn't say he's as crappy as what my definition of a 'crappy guitarist' is. Not everyone has a distinctive style like Slash or is as technically advanced as that geezer with the bucket.

It is mighty funny how the tides turn.

I can remember to just before DJ Ashba made his GN'R debut. A sound engineer (named "Butch" or "Pooch," whatever, the guy looked like he ate nothing but doughnuts on a regular basis) made a behind the scenes video about the live mixing of a Guns show. He talked about the "new guitar player" and played an audio sample of said guitar player playing one of the Guns songs.

People were mighty happy, because DJ Ashba was getting much closer to the coveted "Slash sound." I.E. the creamy neck pickup woman-tone on the blues leads and the sharp, razor crunch on the hard parts. It was a tease, but it was a very welcome introduction to DJ because it set him apart from Robin and...whatever Robin tried to do with the Slash sound. The consensus was that DJ was a much better fit, a more retro choice for carrying the torch.

It took maybe a year before that consensus to almost totally collapse. Once DJ had an online haunted house and a clothing line that would make Ed Hardy blush, nobody seemed much to care that he was a closer foil for Slash. In fact, I think that shit even reflected negatively on his guitar playing, which was no longer endorsed by fans.

• Like 1

On 2017-11-22 at 11:20 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

But was Ashba a crappy guitarist or was he just a crappy personality?  I've only seen a few admittedly embarrassing videos but it wasn't his guitar playing that had me cringing, just his stage antics. 

I always say that DJ in Sixx AM is a good fit but while he was in GNR he was nothing short of a Slash clone with questionable stage presence and sloppy guitar playing. 

To me, DJ in GNR, sounds like someone trying to play with feeling but there is no feelings there a lot of times. His TIL solo is a prime example of this!

On 24.11.2017 at 3:46 PM, tremolo said:

You’re talking business and legal stuff. And I think you are 100% right.

But for some of us, the business behind the band is just a load of bs that has done nothing but tarnish what gnr once was: an actual band.

I don't like it either. It was Axl who choosed this way.

robin is sloppy but he sure knows how to make a guitar sing. he can also construct great melodies and his solos speak for themselves. it's all there in better, street of dreams, and this i love. I'm sure he came up with many other solos axl liked that were just as strong.