RTB produced Madagascar leaked?

2 hours ago, zombux said:

the vocal track is the same as album version, just with a slightly different pitch.

Holy smokes batman you're right - they've pitched that quite a lot in the final version. I always knew it was heavily tuned as you can hear the tell tale signs of the phasing artifacts in the voice but that must be because they went through and have changed the pitch and made the vocals hold the notes a lot tighter in places. They flip the lead and backup vocals at one point in the final version to make the higher backing come through as lead but otherwise that is the vocal take.

Also if you play them side by side the vocals match up but the drums do not at all - the fills are "bigger" and come in earlier on the final version - can't work out if its a different take or been stiched in. Guitar sits much higher in the mix on this version but the solo is much more subtle verses the quotes. Also I think theres quite a bit of Finck bits and pieces that are buried in the final version or have been replaced. The guitar work is quite different on the whole the solo has been added it to for sure on the released version. Pittman fan(s?) you'll enjoy the big dirty synth in the chorus.

Interesting that the vast majority of the instrumental work was probably changed on this except the vocal which has been heavily edited rather than simply re-recorded like everything else.

3 hours ago, life_247 said:

Very interesting, seems a bit rough in places especially the Guitar work which is much more minimalist on the CD version. The end is also quite drawn out.

I like the vocals though, sound much more "classic Axl" than the final version. The quote section is also a lot clearer.

There's definitely fewer layers on this version of Madagascar. I'd be as bold to say there's only three musicians performing on it, Axl, Pitman & Buckethead (besides the guest musician for the horn sample).  The drums on this mix seem programmed, there seems to be only one layer of guitars throughout the song and it's impossible to say who's performing the lead outside of the solo in the bridge, and the bass remains non-existent

Minimal works a lot better for the song than the wall of sound slamming into you when the chorus hits.

Edited by Gackt

4 minutes ago, Gackt said:

There's definitely fewer layers on this version of Madagascar. I'd be as bold to say there's only three musicians performing on it, Axl, Pitman & Buckethead (besides the guest musician for the horn sample).  The drums on this mix seem programmed, there seems to be only one layer of guitars throughout the song and it's impossible to say who's performing the lead outside of the solo in the bridge, and the bass remains non-existent

Minimal works a lot better for the song than the wall of sound slamming into you when the chorus hits.

Listen to the Speech on a good set of speakers (or with a sub) theres a heck of a lot bass/sub-bass during that.

I also don't think its Bucketheads guitar work on a lot of it, sounds way more like Finck to me. BH is always very precise theres a lot of long held notes with bending which is a finck thing.

13 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Axl, Pitman & Buckethead (besides the guest musician for the horn sample).  

Pitman played the horns, Axl wrote the actual cords: 

"I was up at his house for about a week or two, and I was setting up rack mounted samplers, and you had your fake orchestra with synthesizers. One would be the strings, one would be the brass, and I was setting that up for him, and I was going "now this module here, we’re going to us this for brass instruments and here you have horns…", and he was playing while I was switching the sounds, and I switched the sounds to French horn sound and he was playing this chord progression and I went to another sound, and he goes "oh no, go back to that one". 

We went back and it was the French horn sound and he kept playing this progression and it sounded really cool and I turned around and turned on the tape machine and that ended up being the very intro for the song "Madagascar". And that’s just how that evolved and he just had this chord progression and all of the sudden it married with the French horn and it was their super-moody song and that was the start of that song. We actually recorded it really quickly up there at his house and he just sang unbelievably on it." (Chris Pitman, Talking Metal, 11/08/08)

6 minutes ago, life_247 said:

Listen to the Speech on a good set of speakers (or with a sub) theres a heck of a lot bass/sub-bass during that.
I also don't think its Bucketheads guitar work on a lot of it, sounds way more like Finck to me. BH is always very precise theres a lot of long held notes with bending which is a finck thing.

If the drums are programmed, bass was likely programmed in also to compliment it easily at spots where the rhythm is more subtle; but I can't pick apart the stems, so it's not for me to say :P

It could be Finck, sustains aren't necessarily uncommon though for any guitarist, could be Tobias lol

Just now, Gackt said:

If the drums are programmed, bass was likely programmed in also to compliment it easily at spots where the rhythm is more subtle; but I can't pick apart the stems, so it's not for me to say :P

It could be Finck, sustains aren't necessarily uncommon though for any guitarist, could be Tobias lol

Oh I know could be any of them its just very un-bucket like to my ears. He plays a lot of sustain but its normally a more controlled note to Fincks more lazy blues style (I use Lazy to describe it - rather than calling the playing lazy if you get me).

It seems like a mix of programmed and real drums, but it probably means its Brain as he sounds like a drum machine when he plays hip-hop esque beats anyway.

To be honest it could be Dizzy and Pitman nicked the drums from something else wrote a song and they just bunged some fills on it.

I'm still trying to get over the amount they fucked with vocals for the released version - you have one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time, get him to do another take if you all agree you want they vocals to be at that pitch!!:shrugs: