RTB produced Madagascar leaked?

Just now, colonizedmind said:

Will it could be from 2000 or 2001 as he was there from 2000...There's bound to be multiple 100s of versions even

of the same tracks, as Axl struggle with labels, decisions and band members coming and going ! 
It's a hot mess that i'd love to pour over the control board, isolated and listened to it all ! 
How many producers turned in/ worked on this album again? 
5, 6, 7 ? 

Exactly, just listen to the 2006 TWAT versions we have , we have like 3 plus the album version, (not couonting the BH less ones from 99).

And just listen to the little guitar riffs they added here and there  as the versions get closer to the album version.

Even CD the song, the first leak is missing all those BBF  guitar fills.

Just now, Fashionista said:

Robin was there from 1997 to 1999, left for a year, then rejoined sometime in 2000. Madagascar was first composed around August 1998.

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I was talking about Roy, but yes...

Oh my bad...Sorry, I thought you meant Robin :(

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

My thoughts I already posted on another forum:

Ok, I gave another listen to that. Still can't understand how you guys like it better than any other versions we had. Buckethead's single chord wah rhythm is as dull as Slash's powerchord in the 2017 live rendition. And Paul Tobias' main riff is buried in the center channel mix.

IMO, there's absolutely no Robin in this version. And the drums reminded me of Josh Freese's tone in the other 1999 leaks.

That's why I think this could be from 2000. By that time the producer was Roy Thomas Baker indeed.

What on Earth is all this nonsense about different re-recorded vocals?! Every single studio version of Madagascar down to the 2002 radio clip has the exact same vocals from 1999. Same for Twat, Catcher and SoD. 

SoD had new vocals recorded in 2006 which were the lyrics in the outro which were previously just wordless howling. But the main vocals have always been the same on everything. Only background and multi-layering on the choruses were added for some thing e.g. on this RTB Madagascar you can hear two vocals on "If we ever find it's true....." the really high and the really low ones. But single-layered. The album version is more layered and/or processed.

Robin's definitely missing on this RTB version. That really beautiful bit he plays on "It's never too late" has something else that just doesn't work anything close to as well.

As for arguing over which is the best version etc. It's all a moot point to me. Go listen to absolutely anything from Bucharest 2010. I'll take any 2010 live version over any studio version. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, username said:

That, and the rest of the RTB stuff. But yeah, all the Beltrami stuff too. 

Only difference is that I'd prefer being in a fight with a rabid gorilla over having to listen to more of Silkworms. 

Given that everybody and their grandmothers are doing all sorts of box-set re-releases and what not these days, it's more realistic than you might think. 

Except that box set behemoths like Dylan and Sprinsgteen have been doing that for 30 odd years and are totally cool with all of their stuff being put out there, warts n' all. WE sadly have no reason to think that Axl isn;t still massively insecure in that regard.

Ironically, it could be having Slash and Duff around again that gives him the confidence to do it. But then would they support something like that where there's new official Guns product with all these other people on it from that past 20 years?

I'm going to say the same thing I've been saying for years - Axl's vocals that are low in the mix during the "if we ever find it's true..." part were Axl's original vocals from circa 1999 - he layered the higher part over it circa-2002

At Rio 2001 he didn't sing the "I'm free of all the chains" part high like that, which is probably how he originally recorded it

9 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

I'm going to say the same thing I've been saying for years - Axl's vocals that are low in the mix during the "if we ever find it's true..." part were Axl's original vocals from circa 1999 - he layered the higher part over it circa-2002

At Rio 2001 he didn't sing the "I'm free of all the chains" part high like that, which is probably how he originally recorded it

Very interesting! I'd always assumed he just flaked on the high notes at Rio. You may very well be right. I'm all about the high notes but would be cool to hear it like that with just the low vocal loud and up front.

Edited by Jordan Rose

10 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

The orginal vocal tracks are all the same, the vocal layers are what is new. Like with the song CD, on the first leak, it was only his low voice during most of the song, then he added a higher vocal track layer over it.   That is probably what you are getting at. 

This sucks. Couldn't even get through the whole thing. Most likely just a fan mix using the Rock Band stems. The vocals are the same as the album, just more prominent in the mix, so we're hearing more nuances in his annunciation. Nevertheless, this is bad and whoever mixed, RTB or otherwise, should feel bad.

Just heard it. Not bad - the quotes are a little high in the mix, but then the solo is also given a little more emphasis at the same time. Seems, on the whole, more in line with the 2001-2002 performances. I like it, and I also prefer the song without the intro synths that ended up on the final version.  

I remember first hearing the 2007 Maddy leak (and then the final album version) and being amazed at how differently Axl sung it to before. Not bad, just different, but the cleaner vocals seems to work better. 

IMO, the 2001 Rio version is still the definitive version of that song. 

Edited by seely

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Because we've never received C&D's over AFD and UYI demos. CD demos we have, every time they've leaked. I don't know why management (And you can't even pin this on TB - this goes all the way back to the Merck days) treats CD era demos differently, but they do. 

I’d imagine since those songs are fodder for potential releases in the future. While we know Guns releases are few and far between, to Axl, it may be on the next album.

1 minute ago, Estranged Reality said:

I do not believe this is genuine. Horns at the beginning are the giveaway. If that's actual studio production from Baker then I don't blame Axl for bringing different producers on board. 

You do know what a rough cut is right lol

Did you ever hear the rough cuts of the UYI songs?

for example

Edited by gnfnr2k