Iron Maiden - Legacy Of The Beast World Tour 2018-2021

Powerage5

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Was it really that bad? I remember reading comments how people couldn't figure out the song until like minute or two in cause of the sound :lol: 

Disaster for first three songs, little better later but it sounded much worse than local acts, and compared to NuGNR in same venue - sounded like amateur act. Band was great, and after few beers I forgot about sound and joined in singalong :)

11 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Was it really that bad? I remember reading comments how people couldn't figure out the song until like minute or two in cause of the sound :lol: 

No, it wasn’t THAT bad last time in Zagreb. 

9 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Disaster for first three songs, little better later but it sounded much worse than local acts, and compared to NuGNR in same venue - sounded like amateur act. Band was great, and after few beers I forgot about sound and joined in singalong :)

It wasn’t just the Zagreb gig - it was the tour in general. 2013 was the first year with Tiny Newton as the sound engineer after Doug Hall had a falling out with the band. Bear in mind that prior to Tony taking over, Doug was the ONLY sound engineer Maiden had ever had. So it took Tony a bit of time to figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

No, it wasn’t THAT bad last time in Zagreb. 

It wasn’t just the Zagreb gig - it was the tour in general. 2013 was the first year with Tiny Newton as the sound engineer after Doug Hall had a falling out with the band. Bear in mind that prior to Tony taking over, Doug was the ONLY sound engineer Maiden had ever had. So it took Tony a bit of time to figure it out. 

Well that didn t destroy my experience since, as I said, the band seemed in great vibe and energy, and setlist from that tour was like I wrote it :)

Also we(Croats) like to complain and since Maiden is the only big name that visit us regulary people remember bad things and mistakes :)

I m happy we can do it for Maiden and sorry that other avoid these markets...

Edited by -Jaro-

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:43 AM, Powerage5 said:

Doug Hall had a falling out with the band. Bear in mind that prior to Tony taking over, Doug was the ONLY sound engineer Maiden had ever had. So it took Tony a bit of time to figure it out. 

Interesting - what's the story there?

On 12/1/2017 at 8:47 PM, seely said:

Interesting - what's the story there?

There’s no concrete info, just a couple rumors. I don’t particularly believe them either, so I’d rather not spread false info. 

On the topic of the tour though, Krakow WILL be getting a second night now as well - Live Nation Poland jumped the gun and listed a second gig for about half a day over the weekend. 

I'm seriously considering going to Europe for one or more of the shows. Last time I saw Maiden in June was amazing as always, and I don't really want to wait until 2019 to see them again, so I'm thinking possibly Norway (always wanted to go) and Sweden would be ideal locations for me to attend. 

23 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

I'm seriously considering going to Europe for one or more of the shows. Last time I saw Maiden in June was amazing as always, and I don't really want to wait until 2019 to see them again, so I'm thinking possibly Norway (always wanted to go) and Sweden would be ideal locations for me to attend. 

If can mange it, you really should. The gigs are so much more fun in Europe. If you can only swing one gig don't do Norway - it's a festival, and their headlining gigs are a lot more fun. Not that I don't love the gigs in Norway (And Trondheim will be my 100th gig actually), but go for a headlining gig. If you can still find a ticket for Stockholm, that's one of the best crowds in Europe. 

On 22.11.2017 at 3:44 AM, Powerage5 said:

So I've finally settled on doing Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Trondheim, Copenhagen, Athens, Plovdiv, Zagreb, Krakow, Newcastle, Belfast, Aberdeen, Manchester, Birmingham, and London. So far I've got my tickets for Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Krakow, and London. The rest will have to wait as I'm on holiday right now. 

For anyone wondering, second nights in Helsinki, Paris, London, and maybe Krakow are likely.

You gonna love the Trondheim gig, it’s going to be held on the parking lot at a local beer brewery:facepalm::lol: (Yea i know...smal town)

btw, Im gonna be there too:)

6 hours ago, dally said:

You gonna love the Trondheim gig, it’s going to be held on the parking lot at a local beer brewery:facepalm::lol: (Yea i know...smal town)

btw, Im gonna be there too:)

Is it? Ticketmaster.no says it's at the Dahl's Arena...

Just saw Sabaton has been added to that gig though, so that's even more exciting for me now :D 

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Is it? Ticketmaster.no says it's at the Dahl's Arena...

Just saw Sabaton has been added to that gig though, so that's even more exciting for me now :D 

Yea, Dahl’s arena is just a name they gave it to sound more international:lol:..... but it is a huge parking lot so it is gonna be great anyways:heart:.

going to be alot of bands playing as it is a two days festival, Volbeat and Sabaton just made it more exiting indeed.

• GNFNR 1

• 5 weeks later...

Second night in Krakow, Poland – Saturday 28th July 2018. Special guest for this show will be Tremonti, who also join us in France, Italy, Switzerland, Portugal and Croatia.

FC Pre-sale Wednesday 17th Jan - https://goo.gl/XFYGca
On-sale Friday 19th Jan (10am) - https://goo.gl/5RJ9LF

With the announcement of this show, the 2018 Legacy Of The Beast Tour dates are now complete.

• 1 month later...

IRON MAIDEN has settled a lawsuit over the writing credits for the band's classic song "Hallowed Be Thy Name".

A year ago, retired rock band manager Barry McKay took MAIDEN's Steve Harris and Dave Murray to court over the 1982 track, claiming reproduced major parts of another song, "Life's Shadow", co-written nearly a decade earlier by musician Brian Quinn, under the name Brian Ingham.

"Life's Shadow" was a collaboration between Quinn and Robert Barton, who later recorded the song for the self-titled 1974 album from his band BECKETT. At the time, BECKETT was managed by Rod Smallwood, who went on to become the manager of IRON MAIDEN.

In court documents, Harris's lawyers admitted he saw BECKETT perform in 1973 and said that BECKETT's debut was one of his favorite albums when it was first released.

Although McKay has said that Harris and Murray have been ordered to pay £900,000 (approximately $1.25 million) in costs and damages, a spokesperson for IRON MAIDEN told BLABBERMOUTH.NET that the actual figure was much lower.

"We do not believe that Brian Quinn was the one who wrote these six lines in question over 40 years ago as was claimed by Barry McKay," the MAIDEN spokesperson said. "However, due to escalating legal fees and the potential huge costs of a court case, it was pragmatic to reluctantly settle this action with McKay for £100,000 [approximately $139,000], a fraction of what he brought the action for. A serial litigant like Mr. McKay would have foreseen this."

In response to MAIDEN's statement, McKay said: "To call me a 'serial litigant' is sour grapes. Harris and Murray and their managers appear to me to be bad losers. However, I am now also representing three other songwriters who also allege that Steve Harris and Dave Murray have profiteered from lyrics that they wrote. If that makes me a 'serial litigant,' so be it. Musicians who have their intellectual property exploited by others who did not write or compose it are entitled to professional assistance."

MAIDEN last year dropped "Hallowed Be Thy Name" from its setlist after the band became embroiled in the legal dispute. The settlement means that the group can now resume performing the song during its live shows.

MAIDEN's representatives at Phantom Management issued a statement last year in which they acknowledged that "Steve Harris was a fan of BECKETT and some six lines from 'Life's Shadow' were referenced in Steve's song 'Hallowed Be Thy Name'." However, they insisted at the time that as far as Steve was concerned, "this matter was settled some years ago by agreement with Robert Barton."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-settles-lawsuit-over-hallowed-be-thy-name-songwriting-credits/

• GNFNR 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Wow... great setlist so far...

You ain’t lying .Love this band live and think it’s awesome how they have been revisiting classic eras recently and doing tours around them .On top of that they still put out new music and tour around it and focus heavily on the new music during those shows seen them a couple times on book of souls and they were just as great as ever.Just a great band I hope they have plans to bring this tour to the states next year I haven’t heard anything yet ?You ?

5 minutes ago, gt72 said:

You ain’t lying .Love this band live and think it’s awesome how they have been revisiting classic eras recently and doing tours around them .On top of that they still put out new music and tour around it and focus heavily on the new music during those shows seen them a couple times on book of souls and they were just as great as ever.Just a great band I hope they have plans to bring this tour to the states next year I haven’t heard anything yet ?You ?

I heard that tour will continue in 2019 but not where - probably US and south America...

I love em because they play regulary in theese smaller markets with affordable ticket prices...

Just now, -Jaro- said:

I heard that tour will continue in 2019 but not where - probably US and south America...

I love em because they play regulary in theese smaller markets with affordable ticket prices...

Thanks .Yeah they seem to really care about the fans and they always have something different to offer after all these years .Fingers crossed they make it my way 

Full setlist:

1. Aces High

2. Where Eagles Dare

3. 2 Minutes To Midnight

4. The Clansman

5. The Trooper

6. Revelations

7. For The Greater Good Of God

8. The Wicker Man

9. Sign Of The Cross

10. Flight Of Icarus

11. Fear Of The Dark

12. Number Of The Beast

13. Iron Maiden

——-

14. The Evil That Men Do

15. Hallowed Be Thy Name

16. Run To The Hills

i don’t have time to write a full review (I will in the next couple days), but in short it was fucking amazing. Seriously one of the best Maiden gigs I’ve ever seen, and by far the strongest opening night I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Excellent setlist. However, I would prefer Alexander The Great over The Clansman.
The Clansman goes on for too long!

Maiden don't play songs if they weren't played on the album tour for that song, they never have and they probably never will. But believe me, The Clansman is fucking fantastic live - definitely one of the highlights of the gig.

I don't even really know where to start talking about this one, there's just SO much to cover. For starters this is, bar none, the most theatrical production Maiden has ever done.  Normally there'll be one or two songs that are a big production, but this tour it's every song. More akin to watching an Alice Cooper gig than Maiden - very theatrical. 

This tour in particular I was really excited for - it's the first tour I've seen Maiden on where there wasn't really a clear theme (i.e. not a new album tour, or focused on a particular era of Maiden). So it was really exciting to have a tour where sort of everything on the table. 

So the stage set actually sort of changes over partway into the show; for the first five songs they've got camouflage covering everything - the monitors, the backdrops, Nicko's kit, camo everywhere. Even the crew are dressed as military officers during this part of the show. Good to see Aces High as an opener again, sounded much better than it did on the Maiden England tour. The big wow factor on this one is an inflatible spitfire that comes up over the stages, and eventually flies out over the crowd. Really cool opening, unlike anything Maiden has ever done (That can be said for a lot of this gig). Bruce was dressed as an RAF pilot - he would go on to change his outfit for nearly every song. 

Where Eagles Dare was the first real surprise of the gig, and the first one I'd not seen live. There was an ambient tape leading into it - they used a lot more of those on this tour than usual to allow time for the production. Bruce changed into a white camo coat for this one. No other production notes other than a killer backdrop that was a new piece of art, but this was a highlight of the gig, it sounded much better than I'd have guessed. 

2 Minutes To Midnight featured the single artwork as the backdrop and another outfit change for Bruce into a camo vest similar to the one he wore on Somewhere Back In Time. Nothing else worth noting except that this was a bit on the slow side. 

The Clansman was up next. I've wanted to see Maiden do a Blaze song for so long, so this was a really welcome addition for me personally (As well as Sign Of The Cross). New artwork on the backdrop as opposed to the old one from the 90's, and Bruce had not changed into this sort of flowing black satin shirt, and he spent most of the song wielding a sword. But it sounded excellent, and was definitely a highlight. 

The Trooper rounded out the "war" part of the set, and it was actually far more exciting than usual. Bruce started out the song as he always does waving the Union Jack, but the walk-on Eddie comes on midway through the song, at which point Bruce jumps down to the main level of the stage to sword fight with him. After which Bruce goes back up to the risers, and picks up the local flag (So last night was the Estonian flag). Really cool to see them mix it up on a song that's been so static for so long. 

At this point in the set, the crew tears down all the camo, behind which is the "second" stage set - a gothic cathedral look, a la the tour poster. Four massive stained glass windows with different Eddies on them, and a central one as well, all lit from behind. Wrought iron candle chandeliers drop for the lighting rig - it's incredibly atmospheric. Revelations started the "religion" part of the set, and was great as it is anytime they play it.

For The Greater Good Of God followed, and while I do like the song it was one of the low points in terms of crowd energy. This was also the one song that there was a bit of a hiccup during, but nothing major that won't be worked out by probably even the next gig.

The Wicker Man came next and while the song sounded as good as ever, I still don't like it mid-set. They broke out the Wicker Man backdrop again for this one.

Sign Of The Cross was the big centerpiece song, and it's totally over the top. It's one of my favorite Maiden songs, and I couldn't have been happier with it. Bruce wears a massive hooded cloak, carrying a light-up cross, with an amazing new backdrop and plenty of pyro. As much a spectacle as Rime Of The Ancient Mariner or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son in terms of production. The personal highlight of the gig for me.

Flight Of Icarus was again completely over the top - a giant inflatable Icarus, with Bruce donning a flamethrower backpack like Eddie on the single artwork. It was ridiculous, but looked great. Worth noting that Flight Of Icarus hasn't been played since 1986 - the longest any Maiden song has gone between being played in their career. 

Fear Of The Dark was next, and again was performed a bit different than usual; Bruce wore a tophat and peacoat, as well as a face mask and a green lantern. Looked cool and breathed some new life into a stale song.

Number Of The Beast featured a new backdrop but was otherwise not any different from the usual production.

Iron Maiden obviously featured the new Eddie, again an inflatable of the Eddie with the devil horns. Looked great, much better than the inflatable on The Book Of Souls tour.

The Encore started with The Evil That Men Do. Sounded great, but nothing particularly noteworthy.

Hallowed made it's return next, and the production was beefed up again. Bruce starts it inside a cage, and then spends the rest of the song swinging a noose hanging from the rafters. Sounded great.

Run To The Hills rounded out the show. It was the first time I've seen it as a closer, and I have to say I quite liked it. 

This show is, in a word, overwhelming. It's so far beyond anything Maiden has ever done. If you are seeing it, you have a great gig to look forward to. Of course with the tour name people started speculating it could be the beginning of the end. But the band is at their peak right now. I don't see them going anywhere. 

• Like 2