Stone Temple Pilots Announce New Singer Jeff Gutt

vloors

New single is okay imo.  Poppy and streamlined.  If this type of sound was new from them Id be concerned about the Reality Show singer but even on the last two albums with Scott and the EP with Chester they were playing more in this style, to my ears.  To be sure STP has always included pop influences, but to me the way they flirted with pop always had a meta artifice to it - like a kitten swatting around a mouse instead of attacking.  I could see a kid have this on a playlist between Tailor Swift and One Direction.

One of my favourite things in rock is when STP is back again! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gackt said:

He deserves to be given a chance, like how Layne Staley had huge shoes to fill in Alice in Chains but William DuVall has been an excellent singer for the band since he joined years back.

Looking at his bio, Gutt has a lot more experience than just the X-Factor.  He's fronted bands for years.  STP was "ok" to me, and this stuff sounds promising.  

I have no doubt whatsoever that this guy can perform the back catalog. I saw a video of him doing acoustic "Plush" and it was close in a very spooky way.

BUT....

Scott was a tremendous writer in his glory days. His lyrics were deep and profound, even. Judging by this new single, the guy can't measure up.

He's got the right idea as far as singing dynamics (soft to hard, deep to high) but even Chester understood what Scott's formula for a great song entails, so....

It will come down to the synergy the band brings to the table.

Scott can never be replaced.

Scott wasn't a cheesy Hollywood celeb or talentless hack who needed to 'perform'  for the cameras. He made music and sang , that was his performance, he was an outstanding frontman . 

No clue what the X factor is but sure sounds like another reality tv singing show, I'm sure good clowns can be molded from it but hardly what anyone who likes STP would be interested in. Not everyone wants Justin Bieber .

they could have found a singer the way it used to happen but I guess it's one way to sell out and get media attention which clearly seems to work with those who can't think for themselves

a replacement being better than Scott in any manner is :rofl-lol:  

Edited by Pishy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pishy said:

Scott can never be replaced.

Scott wasn't a cheesy Hollywood celeb or talentless hack who needed to 'perform'  for the cameras. He made music and sang , that was his performance, he was an outstanding frontman . 

No clue what the X factor is but sure sounds like another reality tv singing show, I'm sure good clowns can be molded from it but hardly what anyone who likes STP would be interested in. Not everyone wants Justin Bieber .

they could have found a singer the way it used to happen but I guess it's one way to sell out and get media attention which clearly seems to work with those who can't think for themselves

a replacement being better than Scott in any manner is :rofl-lol:  

Did you bother to learn anything about this guy?  What does a cheesy Hollywood celeb have to do with anything?  What about him reminds you of Justin Bieber?   :facepalm:  

If I like the new lead singer, but the band didn't find him in your imaginary "way it used to happen", then I can't think for myself.  Interesting.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Song isn't terrible, but the production sucks out whatever life it actually had. Sounds like it was recorded in a Pepsi bottle.

The DeLeo's work has suffered considerably since they've begun producing their own material.

They had a really good thing with Brendan O'Brien for years, but it seems they enjoy producing as much as playing.

Cats like this, they might have a voice, but usually that's it. 9 times out of 10 they actually don't have the X factor. The song writing, the personality, the stage presence. Gut reaction is that's how he is. And he sounds way too much like Scott, sounds more like a straight up imitator.

I'm a big fan of STP and the DeLeo's but just not loving this. They were better off going after someone like Chester, someone who could pull off the STP songs but still sounded a little different from Scott.

• Like 1