Stone Temple Pilots Announce New Singer Jeff Gutt

vloors

Great voice. People need to give it a rest on the comparisons to Weiland, who is ever going to measure up to prime Scott Weiland?

But let's face it, prime Scott Weiland died a long time ago. Way before the man himself physically died in 2015. It's been years since Weiland was the same singer or performer that he was in his heyday.

23 hours ago, J Dog said:

Cats like this, they might have a voice, but usually that's it. 9 times out of 10 they actually don't have the X factor. The song writing, the personality, the stage presence. Gut reaction is that's how he is. And he sounds way too much like Scott, sounds more like a straight up imitator.

I'm a big fan of STP and the DeLeo's but just not loving this. They were better off going after someone like Chester, someone who could pull off the STP songs but still sounded a little different from Scott.

This is the new STP singer's band 15 years ago.  If you look at the YouTube comments you'll see some people say he sounded like Chester.  :lol:  

The song is actually ok and he sounds a lot like Scott but that's kind of my problem with it. If you're gonna continue on with someone else, make it unique so it really becomes it's own era. Having a guy that tries to look and sound like Scott rubs me the wrong way and I personally won't support the music or live shows.

I'm glad the Deleos have an avenue to carry on though so good for them as they are incredibly talented dudes.

• Like 1

I think what made William Duvall a great fit for Alice is that his voice doesn't sound anything like Layne's yet harmonizes just as well with Jerry's. He sounds right for the material while still sounding like himself. I worry that this guy sounds a little too much like Scott and the "imitator" criticisms will overshadow an otherwise good vocalist and potentially good album.

• Like 2

Maybe the DeLeos and Kretz know how they want their singer to sound, and who they want to work with.  Just sayin'.  

From Rolling Stone, http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stone-temple-pilots-on-new-singer-scott-weilands-legacy-w511468:

According to the guitarist, "He was one of the last guys we saw, in the last two days of auditions. And that was just over a year ago – September of 2016."

He continues, "Jeff wasn't even part of the singer submissions. But Robert happened to be playing a gig with the Hollywood Vampires in Michigan and somebody came backstage after the show and approached him and said, 'You should check this guy out. He's a local guy.' And Robert called me the next morning and was like, 'Hey, man ...'"

Just a few months later, Gutt was the new singer of Stone Temple Pilots. But first, there was the audition process. After paring down the initial 15,000 or so submissions to under 50 hopefuls, the band set up shop at a recording and rehearsal studio and brought in each candidate to jam on some STP tunes. "We did a week of auditions over at Studio 606 in the Valley," Kretz says. "Three people a day, seven songs with each guy. And the songs we gave people had a really big range, from something like 'Interstate Love Song,' which is not a hard-hitting one to sing, to things like 'Dead & Bloated.'"

...But while Gutt has proven more than capable of tackling the classic material, the band members also stress he wasn't brought in solely to lead a nostalgia trip. In fact, by the time STP welcomed Gutt onboard, the band was already several songs deep into new material. And as much as they wanted to find a singer, they also wanted a collaborator.

"Most of the time we've spent together has been in writing new material," Kretz says. "And Jeff was taking the new songs and coming up with stuff right away. To use a baseball analogy, we kept throwing fastballs at him and he just kept hitting 'em. It was pretty exciting."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

The only post-Weiland STP that held my interest one bit was Joss Stone Temple Pilots. 

I'm pleasantly surprised I like the music. High Rise didnt really click with me (although I like Black Heart) but these 2 new songs have been tight for me. Obviously, Scott would have elevated them but what can you do?

• 1 month later...

Just listened to the whole thing. I actually think its a pretty good rock record. I wasn't expecting anything after High Rise and how they handled the singer search soon after Scott passed, but I'll give credit where it is due. Solid release, and Jeff seems like a good choice. This feels more "organic" than their collaboration with Chester. He was a great singer, but their pairing just didn't click with me. I didn't hate High Rise, but I like this a lot more

New record is actually pretty fucking killer. Easily the most inspired playing from the DeLeo's in more than a decade. Gutt holds his own. 

Those slower ballads, Thought She'd Be Mine and Art of Letting Go, could fit on any STP album post-Plush. 

Middle of Nowhere, Never Enough and Finest Hour are all pretty good tracks too.

Edited by OTHAFA

This new album is a real grower. What’s been said about their new singer is right, he doesn’t quite have the poetic edge that Weiland did, but I’ll be damned if he doesn’t channel him so closely throughout the album. There are moments you’re saying to yourself... wait, is that not Weiland...!?

All in all, this album is a solid rocker, with some standout moments, and though not quite hitting the heights of STP at their best, it is a great relaunch of an old brand, into something new. Much like AIC did with Black Gives Way to Blue