Walking Papers (Duff's other side project): WP2 album due January

I really like this! Thanks for posting it.  Duff is doing some tasty bass on it too.  I definitely see what you mean in your praise of it @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle it is a very interesting sound and vibe.  Draws me in for repeat listens.  I hear Slashs approach in starting off a solo with singing notes on the neck pickup (creamier tone) and then switching to the bridge pickup (more treble) for an exciting flurry of notes at the end of solo.  And its bluesy, yet I guess I cant hear passed the garage rock tone to full on Slash-ness.  The songs a monster with a proper great guitar solo to boot.

I like Duffs darker tone a lot too.

I have to admit that this will be the first Duff album Ive looked forward to since Believe in Me.  Im excited!

• Like 1

The vocals have something U2'ish in them, but they also sort of remind me of Joe Bonamassa's Dust Bowl. It's a good vibe though, I'm digging it!

Edit: The U2'ish vibe for me might be from Bullet In The Blue Sky

Edited by username
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Nice! Wasn't Mccready involved in the first album? 

Yes and also Jack Endino who I think Axl wanted for CD at some point?  Duff likes to keep his projects Seattle centric, bless him.  

10 minutes ago, soon said:

I really like this! Thanks for posting it.  Duff is doing some tasty bass on it too.  I definitely see what you mean in your praise of it @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle it is a very interesting sound and vibe.  Draws me in for repeat listens.  I hear Slashs approach in starting off a solo with singing notes on the neck pickup (creamier tone) and then switching to the bridge pickup (more treble) for an exciting flurry of notes at the end of solo.  And its bluesy, yet I guess I cant hear passed the garage rock tone to full on Slash-ness.  The songs a monster with a proper great guitar solo to boot.

I like Duffs darker tone a lot too.

I have to admit that this will be the first Duff album Ive looked forward to since Believe in Me.  Im excited!

I know - Duff sounds awesome!!! :headbang: Thanks for your muso's insight, always informative.  I think it has a 70s retro vibe to it?  Is it the keyboard maybe that gives it that sound?  And the teaser trailer almost sounds glam rock-ish?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yes and also Jack Endino who I think Axl wanted for CD at some point?  Duff likes to keep his projects Seattle centric, bless him.  

I know - Duff sounds awesome!!! :headbang: Thanks for your muso's insight, always informative.  I think it has a 70s retro vibe to it?  Is it the keyboard maybe that gives it that sound?  And the teaser trailer almost sounds glam rock-ish?  

Duff really is bringing the skills!  Definitely has a retro vibe. When I first listened to Death on the Lips I was really taken by how to my ears it sounds both 70's retro and 'modern' at the same time.   The whole 'modern rock' sound to my ears was not often organically woven into rock in general - to me it is here.  Certainly hear the glam.  This stuff is weighty and grooving.  Dizzy probably envious that the organ plays such a role, lol.

Sweet. Liked the first record a lot. More into WP than I was ever able to be for Loaded. One of the better blends of an early 90s GNR/Seattle sound IMHO. As I understand it- Angell’s a guy that is well-respected and should have fronted a huge band somewhere along the way- but it just never quite worked out. Cool he’s getting this chance with Duff, Barrett Martin & McCready, etc. at least...

44 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I've noticed that in these bands Duff doesn't have any writing credits, same thing with the Neurotic Outsiders, he only co-wrote one song.

It's not Duff's writing skills that bands want him for; it's his bass playing skills.  Duff is an awesome bass player.  Absolutely love what he brings to this new song.  I should mentioned here too, that he makes a helluva difference on the CD songs.  No wonder Axl looks so happy. ^^

• Like 3

Thank you for the heads up! 😊 Being a fairly new GNR fan, I️ am not hip to all the side projects each Gunner has participated or created. The few things I️ heard this morning from Walking Papers is up my ally. Will have to investigate further. 

Seems like Duff has been busy recording, and getting his side projects up and running before GNR takes a 7 month break. He knows he has momentum behind him right now. I’m curious to know if the recording was done in the Spring before the marthanon touring with Guns, and waited for the next lull in the schedule. 

Also, this seems to be a touring sort of band compared to the one you posted 2 wks ago. Is there any chance they may be touring the first half of 2018? Like do I️ need to keep tabs on them? 

5 hours ago, frenchie87 said:

Also, this seems to be a touring sort of band compared to the one you posted 2 wks ago. Is there any chance they may be touring the first half of 2018? Like do I️ need to keep tabs on them? 

Well, I'll certainly be keeping tabs on all the various side projects and it seems there's a few! ^_^ Hmm...will they tour?  It's highly likely.  I've already said it,  ain't no way the likes of Slash and Duff are going to spend 6 months sitting around.  They'll have something lined up, what exactly, remains to be seen.  I had a theory that Guns would squeeze in a few dates in the Southern Hemisphere but I guess they would have announced that by now.  Of course, the hope is that Guns will spend the downtime working on a new album, but if they don't, there's every possibility Duff will tour with one of his bands.  

19 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Well, I'll certainly be keeping tabs on all the various side projects and it seems there's a few! ^_^ Hmm...will they tour?  It's highly likely.  I've already said it,  ain't no way the likes of Slash and Duff are going to spend 6 months sitting around.  They'll have something lined up, what exactly, remains to be seen.  I had a theory that Guns would squeeze in a few dates in the Southern Hemisphere but I guess they would have announced that by now.  Of course, the hope is that Guns will spend the downtime working on a new album, but if they don't, there's every possibility Duff will tour with one of his bands.  

I️ don’t know if I️ should thank you or start making a list of all of the side projects of Duff and Slash to check on a daily/weekly basis. It’s obvious with their back catalogue and number of bands they are involved in that they are productive musicians. The question really comes how much time they want off, and how busy/productive they need (contracts) or want to be. Also, what sort of stuff do they already have in the can? With this Walking Papers album, Duff will do promo in January/February and can tour March/April/and maybe first part of May before going back to Guns. Will he? We will have to see! But for Slash, SMKC has music to record but hasn’t recorded or mastered it yet. Could he do another Slash & Friends album, yes, but he won’t be bolting out the gate to promote and tour it though unless the studio pics in the Spring were our clue. 

I️ would also like to see the gang work on another GNR album, and I️ thought it was a serious possibility till this news. Duff’s other band, forget the name, that released 2 songs two/three wks ago seems to just be a recording band (at least for right now). Anywho...we will find out soon enough! 

Thanks again for the update! 😊