Walking Papers (Duff's other side project): WP2 album due January

The album is out today

A new interview:

http://loudwire.com/walking-papers-jeff-angell-interview/

I wanted to ask about Duff McKagan as well. I see he’s not able to play your upcoming release show and obviously Guns N’ Roses is a huge thing. How cool is it to have a guy in the biggest band in the world but also knowing he wants to be part of what you’re doing musically as well?

It’s pretty cool. It’s validating is what it is. I grew up and those guys were a huge influence on me when I was a kid. I was 12 or 13 when [Appetite for Destruction] came out and that was the record for me. I was like, “I’m not pretty enough for what MTV is selling me and I don’t have the weird thrash metal macho ink, so I’m not that guy.” So when their band came out, I was kind of like that’s me. I’m kind of in the middle – somewhere between a punk sleazy guy and a normal dude who likes his rock and roll.

To me, Appetite for Destruction and N.W.A.’s Straight Outta Compton really captures Los Angeles in 1987. Maybe a little Jane’s Addiction too, but those guys were heroes of mine and I didn’t seek them out, they kind of sought me out. And living in Seattle and seeing the grunge thing. You know, I’d never met Barrett Martin but with Mad Season and Screaming Trees, basically I have two guys from two of the most musically influential periods to me actually want to make music and support my songs and stuff like that, that’s my Grammy I guess. That’s my validation and reward and it’s kind of humbling and overwhelming at the same time, but it’s also nice to have people that you respect and admire believe in what you’re doing.

Plus, I get all these great stories about Guns N’ Roses. You know I don’t really care. I give two shits about what happens to someone after they get famous, but I always want to know that struggle … the struggle in getting the songs together and it’s really, really interesting in how they put together Appetite for Destruction and I don’t think it’s at all like people think. I mean those guys knew those songs and they had half of the next album already written. They really struggled and I really love that. It was really exciting, but holy shit, this ain’t a Guns N’ Roses redo (laughs)

• Like 2

I've been a bit slow to post in the thread, sorry!  I downloaded the album, quite literally as soon as I woke up this morning. LOL  Listening to it now.  It's bloody awesome.  Never thought I'd say that about any of Duff's side project work but this is well worth checking out.  It might not be everyone's cup of tea due to strong keyboard presence but it is a really strong rock album and Duff of course sounds fantastic.  Jeff Angell is such a wonderful lyricist too. 

Full review to come!

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

So glad the album finally came out!

Songs I like the most so far: Red and White (I already liked this song since they started playing it in their last tour), Before you arrived, Don't owe me nothing, I know you're lying

My favourite Duff band is still Loaded but this project is well worth checking out!

Edited by fernandoGNR

1 hour ago, fernandoGNR said:

So glad the album finally came out!

Songs I like the most so far: Red and White (I already liked this song since they started playing it in their last tour), Before you arrived, Don't owe me nothing, I know you're lying

My favourite Duff band is still Loaded but this project is well worth checking out!

Those songs are great.  All the songs are great!  My favourites so far are:

My Luck Pushed Back - great intro, really rocks out

Death on the Lips - I've been playing consistently for a couple of months now  

Hard To Look Away - absolutely ROCKS.

Before You Arrived - the bass in this....:drool:

This is How It Ends - strangest story...it's like a novel being given song treatment. Got a Breaking Bad vibe about it.  'The reflection in his eyes of vultures circling in the sky'...sums up the wonderful weirdness of this track.  

Edit: just been listing to King Hooker, last track.  It's fantastic.  That bass is thundering! Also great guitar work

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 9:01 PM, slitherz said:

Wow, album is just as good as I hoped!

Indeed. Pity Duff won't be available for touring. I saw them live couple years ago and I tell you - I enjoyed that little club gig almost as much as GN'R (well, probably more).

Pity Duff won't be available for touring again, cos that was why the record was constantly being postponed in the first place - Barrett didn't want to tour without Duff so they just kept waiting. For nothing. Like Jeff said in the interview: I don’t think Duff’s available. He’s got a cash machine over there that he’s got to tend to.

I downloaded the album and I like it vey much

4 hours ago, Rayno said:

Pity Duff won't be available for touring again, cos that was why the record was constantly being postponed in the first place - Barrett didn't want to tour without Duff so they just kept waiting. For nothing. Like Jeff said in the interview: I don’t think Duff’s available. He’s got a cash machine over there that he’s got to tend to.

I really wonder what reason has Duff to not promoting this, I don't think is in his GNR contract...because Dizzy has been promoting his solo album...and reading Jeff's words and the way he said it, it looks to me it was a rush last hour decision and it was not well received by the others members of WP....it just my perception....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

I really wonder what reason has Duff to not promoting this, I don't think is in his GNR contract...because Dizzy has been promoting his solo album...and reading Jeff's words and the way he said it, it looks to me it was a rush last hour decision and it was not well received by the others members of WP....it just my perception....

Two/three years ago Duff effectively killed the band at the worst possible moment - when it was really becoming the next big thing. Of course I am glad GN'R is back, don't get me wrong. Anyway, I strongly recommend you Jeff's and Ben's other band called Staticland. They rock!

Edited by Rayno
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Intercourse said:

WP are the best band out there right now. Really delighted you guys like it. The drummer is fucking amazing, he has astonishing groove.

Best band to come from the GNR alumni by a country mile.

100% agree.  This is unquestionably Duff's best work since GNR.  Some of the bass lines on this album are pure joy to listen to.  The album as a whole absolutely rocks, lyrically, musically, even the order of the songs is perfect.  It's got a Wild West or Breaking Bad vibe about it.  Jeff is so versatile as a lyricist from the introspective Red and White to the Tarantino-esque This Is How It Ends (one of my favourites).  I wish it had more attention.

Nice review here:

http://crypticrock.com/walking-papers-wp2-album-review/

6 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Yeah, have to say, if GNR isn't the reason for Duff dropping out of the touring of this album, then something is really very off.  It's so uncharacteristic of Duff to not tour this in the downtime.  He and Jeff are good friends and have known each other since the early 90s, even their daughters are friends, so I find it really hard to believe that Duff has just dumped Jeff and the band for no good reason.  

I agree with you about Jeff seeming a bit miffed by this.  I dunno...I get the same 'detached' or 'disconnected' vibe from Jeff that I got from Myles on the Eddie Trunk interview.  I think Slash and Duff have had to ditch the side projects.  They're in the wrapping up phase (Slash owes Conspirators this last album and I can see him walking away once that is done).  Being in something as big and all consuming as GNR isn't sustainable with side projects and since the side projects don't make money like GNR does, it's really not worth the hassle it must surely be, what with jugging all the schedules and different dynamics and demands etc...It's good for GNR of course, but I feel bad for Jeff and Myles.  Really, they've been shafted.  I don't think it's anyone fault...it's just how circumstances played out.

Hopefully it means Duff is busy working on new GNR material.

YAY! Duff doing some work for WP! Thanks for posting this. :headbang: Well, you know, no reason why he shouldn't during GNR downtime (even if there's sneaky new music on the horizon). 

Makes me wanna get the vinyl now...lol

Coincidentally, listening to the album right now...or maybe not a coincidence since I've listened to nothing else since Friday. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rayno said:

Is he left-handed? :-D

Answering myself: yes, he is.

"I was the last of eight kids, and one of my older brothers was a bass player. He played in bands, like, in the ’60s and in the ’70s, and he was the coolest guy—still is a cool guy. He was really like the cool guy in our neighborhood, and he was my brother. And there was a left-handed Les Paul Custom bass in the house, and so—I write left-handed—I would’ve played left-handed if he didn’t move out. He’s 14 years older than me, that particular brother, and he moved out when I was young, so there’s no more left-handed guitars or basses in the house. So I had to learn right-handed when I started playing on my own."

8 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

It's good for GNR of course, but I feel bad for Jeff and Myles.  Really, they've been shafted.  I don't think it's anyone fault...it's just how circumstances played out.

Hopefully it means Duff is busy working on new GNR material.

I don't know why you have to feel bad for Myles if Slash does not continue with working with him and the Conspirators, this year.  He's got a solo album and tour that he is really excited about and Alter Bridge is and always will be an important and big band for him to be a part of.

As for Jeff Angell, dude's looks pretty well-versed as a musician.  Whatever musical endeavors he'll take part in, it's bound to be good.  It's just him working with either Duff and/or Barrett Martin and/or Michael McCready, it's just brimming with potential and I thoroughly enjoyed the new Walking Papers album.

This is the setlist of The Crocodile show according to setlist.fm

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/walking-papers/2018/the-crocodile-seattle-wa-3beeb00c.html

My Luck Pushed Back
Death On The Lips
Hard To Look Away
This Is How It Ends
A Place Like This
The Whole World's Watching
Red Envelopes
I'll Stick Around
Somebody Else
The Butcher
Already Dead
Capital T
Two Tickets And A Room
Red & White
Don't Owe Me Nothin'
Right In Front Of Me

Encore:
How It Feels (The Missionary Position cover)
Every Man For Himself (The Missionary Position cover)

Notes: WP2 Album Release Party, without Duff McKagan, Evan Flory-Barnes on bass, and also two horn players and another guitarist, for some reason Jeff only picked up his guitar twice.

There's a few videos on youtube but none of the new songs, hopefully they will surface soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, so my signed vinyl finally came last week and the cover was damaged. According to pledge music there's nothing they can do. Basically I can just suck it. WTF?

"We're so sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, when albums are signed by all band members and shipped multiple times, it often is damaged. All of the copies we have here at our facility are in a similar condition." 

Maybe that should be a damn disclaimer when you buy vinyl on pledge music. It's totally unacceptable.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

saw WP 2 days ago in zurich. Super intimate show, attendance was something around 100 people. But WP nailed it. jeff came down into the audience sharing the mic with us. was a blast singing with him face 2 face.

absolutely great from a musical quality perspective. as i'm really into WP, it was a blast for me. great live band. I was however suprised jeff didn't play guitar in any song.

After the show WP spent some time with the audience. unfortunately i had to leave for logistical reasons.

• Like 1