Do you rate one Illusions record over the other?

In my opinion UYI I is clearly better overall, it's a pretty solid album. UYI II might still be my favorite because it has the song that made me a fan (YCBM) and another one of my favorite songs ever (Estranged) but I objectively find UYI I better.

Right Next Door To Hell  8.5    Civil War 8.5
Dust N' Bones 8                      14 years 8
Live and Let Die 3                   Yesterdays 8
Don't Cry 8                            KOHD  3
Perfect Crime 7.5                   Get in the Ring 4
You Ain't The First 5               Shotgun Blues 3.5
Bad Obsession 8                     Breakdown 7
Back Off Bitch 6                     Pretty Tied Up 8.5
Double Talkin Jive 8               Locomotive 9
November Rain 7                   So Fine 7
The Garden 8.5                      Estranged 10
Garden Of Eden 7                  You Could Be Mine 10
Don't Damn Me 10                Don't Cry (alt) 9 (favorite version of the two)
Bad Apples 9                         My World  -10
Dead Horse 8.5
Coma 9

Overall

UYI I: 7.56

UYI II: 6.10 (6.82 excluding My World)

I wonder if being part of the culture and a teenager at the time these albums were released causes you to hear them differently..... Music like Guns and Nirvana were the bands big in 91-93. I heard their music differently than I did The Doors or The Sex Pistols or The MC5 because I was living real time with this soundtrack of those 2 bands and others. I could only think about seeing the doors live whereas I seen GNR live promoting these albums. They were in the media, on the tv, in magazines and huge music videos. It was bloated and amazing all at once and that's what those albums are. 

I wish they would re-release these albums and release the albums Slash talked about in his book. The songs played by guitars, drums, bass and Vocals. I'd kill to hear the raw album. I think some songs would benefit from it. Take away the fucking annoying deep low voice Axl uses in songs like Breakdown, Strip away the stuff that sounds dated. A track like November Rain benefited from that stuff but others were over produced. Estranged is a great track and it's almost all just a band with a piano player. Killer recording. Trim the fat off this album!

Get in the ring was like a completely dangerous song to a 13 year old back in 1991..... shite but dangerous. I try to hear the music only with get in the ring. That bluesy piece Slash plays on the intro is among the coolest sound he ever made on a guitar. 

It would have been cool if they did like a side each of those albums. Izzys tunes have held up the best for me. He wrote great laid back lyrics and also cool as fuck lyrics, a drug dealers poetry.... (glad he sobered up)

So I have to go with 1 even though 14 years and pretty tied up are on 2 and I prefer the cover on 2) 🙂 

Some of it made sense at the time and doesn't now. The world is a different place now than it was in 1991. You wouldn't see lads running around a stage half drunk with cigarettes hanging from their lips now! But it made perfect sense to a whole generation of mad bastards in 1991. 😂

Edited by Powderfinger
Spelling

16 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Take away the fucking annoying deep low voice Axl uses in songs like Breakdown

:rofl-lol: It is funny how the same things bothered people. Breakdown is a great song, love it, lyrics and music, but damn that low voice was a downer, you had to train yourself to take it. And what was with the cool ranch dressing? There is a serious dork in axl, sorry but I cant think of another word, he has a weird facet to him. He is so tickled by some cringe.

Agree with what you said about Izzy's songs holding up the best ( I don't know how to do multiple quotes from another person's post)

• Thanks 1

The first one is the better of the two by a country mile. The second has My World, Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues and Knockin on Heaven's Dawa, not to mention a needless alternative version of Don't Cry. The only song I completely hate on the first one is Coma. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The first one is the better of the two by a country mile. The second has My World, Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues and Knockin on Heaven's Dawa, not to mention a needless alternative version of Don't Cry. The only song I completely hate on the first one is Coma. 

Thank you, someone else has said it!  About Coma I mean, I never got the fuckin' love for that song, overlong, corny as fuck and aimlessly dense on a number of levels.  Its very metalley isn't it?  And metal is...well...sort of...urgh, y'know.  Its the only GnR song thats so shite that I think I've just consistently skipped it, even back in the day, its the only one of their songs I couldn't sing along to (and i can singalong to em all) cuz it was so shite it just didn't bear repeated listening.  And some of the posts I've seen about it on here go on about how its like, lyrical fuckin' genius, blows my mind...'see cuz what the idea is right, that he's in a coma...but he's coming back...but he doesn't want to...and he's slipping away'.  Okaaayyyy...

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thank you, someone else has said it!  About Coma I mean, I never got the fuckin' love for that song, overlong, corny as fuck and aimlessly dense on a number of levels.  Its very metalley isn't it?  And metal is...well...sort of...urgh, y'know.  Its the only GnR song thats so shite that I think I've just consistently skipped it, even back in the day, its the only one of their songs I couldn't sing along to (and i can singalong to em all) cuz it was so shite it just didn't bear repeated listening.  And some of the posts I've seen about it on here go on about how its like, lyrical fuckin' genius, blows my mind...'see cuz what the idea is right, that he's in a coma...but he's coming back...but he doesn't want to...and he's slipping away'.  Okaaayyyy...

Musically it is basically a Sabbath derivative - the riff is an Iommi knock-off: Guns N' Roses's (hitherto) only foray into sludge metal. Lyrically it is typical Rose waffle which usually pertains to one of his two female friends stroke punching bags. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But the first one has You Ain't The First (ultimate filler song), Garden Of Eden and Bad Obsession, and a bunch of mediocre songs like Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch and Bad Apples.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But the first one has You Ain't The First (ultimate filler song), Garden Of Eden and Bad Obsession, and a bunch of mediocre songs like Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch and Bad Apples.

I wish they explored the You Ain't The First side of themselves more, I love those sorts of tracks. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I wish they explored the You Ain't The First side of themselves more, I love those sorts of tracks. 

There are bands like the Bloodhound Gang or people like Weird Al Yankovic who make that kind of music. You should check it out if you're into joke rock/music.

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

There are bands like the Bloodhound Gang or people like Weird Al Yankovic who make that kind of music. You should check it out if you're into joke rock/music.

I cant think of a good band offhand that don’t have humour to their work on some level, its good time music not homework. Some of their best stuff is their jokey stuff, Used to Love Her is another example.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I cant think of a good band offhand that don’t have humour to their work on some level, its good time music not homework.

I can't think of many bands/artists I listen to that use humour in their music. Maybe they goof around on stage and in interviews and they have a great sense of humour, but they write songs and lyrics about serious subjects or personal issues and don't come up with immature lines like ''I'll be in with another, deep down inside'' in an overall forgettable campfire song.

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I can't think of many bands/artists I listen to that use humour in their music. Maybe they goof around on stage and in interviews and they have a great sense of humour, but they write songs and lyrics about serious subjects or personal issues and don't come up with immature lines like ''I'll be in with another, deep down inside'' in an overall forgettable campfire song.

I guess we must listen to wildly different types of music, horses for courses and all that.

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

This goes back to that "potential Stones" thing i think, and by "potential Stones" thing i don't think thats ever been just a Guns fan fantasy .....You Aint the First reminds me alot of Youve Got To Move and such.

Edited by Silverburst80

8 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

This goes back to that "potential Stones" thing i think, and by "potential Stones" thing i don't think thats ever been just a Guns fan fantasy .....You Aint the First reminds me alot of Youve Got To Move and such.

It just gave them a little dimension y'know?  Just seperated them from being some kind of big hairy 80s band like a fuckload of others.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck you both, Coma is the dogs bollocks. And it don't sound nothing like a Sabbath riff to my ears, other than the fact that it's slow and dark sounding. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Fuck you both, Coma is the dogs bollocks. And it don't sound nothing like a Sabbath riff to my ears, other than the fact that it's slow and dark sounding. 

How can someone who likes Morrissey, by which I mean such quality lyricism, not see that song for the massive pair of skidmark Ys that it is.

22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

How can someone who likes Morrissey, by which I mean such quality lyricism, not see that song for the massive pair of skidmark Ys that it is.

You're just afraid of anything that even closely resembles metal, which Coma really doesn't, but I can see why some people would make that association. You won't break out in greasy dyed black hair and start wearing leather studded biker jackets if you admit to liking it y'know.

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

You're just afraid of anything that even closely resembles metal, which Coma really doesn't, but I can see why some people would make that association. You won't break out in greasy dyed black hair and start wearing leather studded biker jackets if you admit to liking it y'know.

You forgot the BO and dandruff, I aint risking it :lol: 

• Haha 1

Coma is one of the highlights on UYI 1. I don't care what genre it fits in, it's a great song and even though it's ten minutes long with no chorus, I've never been bored with it. The last verse is phenomenal, one of the best things Axl has ever written.

• Like 1