Do you rate one Illusions record over the other?

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

feel like Shotgun Blues and Riad need a little support group or something.  Shotgun Blues probably has about 10 fans but I think I might literally be the only person besides Axl who likes Riad. lol Am also convinced Riad contains the most Old Guns DNA.  It's so Appetite-ish.  With...funky disco guitar and synthesised horns or whatever that awesome explosion of sound is after the solo. 

I want to like Riad so badly, but I just can’t. I’m one of the biggest supporters of Chinese and it literally never did anything for me. I tried listening to it over the past few years but I can’t. The vibe of the song never caught me and it sounds overproduced with a vocally weak Axl. Pittman added a minute of crap instrumentals too.

I don't dislike Get In The Ring.  It just doesn't move me. :shrugs: But I definitely don't care for Think About You.  Can't believe Tom Zutaut actually fought to get that on the album. I'm sure it has its fan too, though.  Nice to know I'm not the only who seems to like the unpopular Guns songs though! 

Well, I was sorta directing it at you plus everyone who hates Shotgun Blues. :lol: 

I feel like Shotgun Blues and Riad need a little support group or something.  Shotgun Blues probably has about 10 fans but I think I might literally be the only person besides Axl who likes Riad. lol Am also convinced Riad contains the most Old Guns DNA.  It's so Appetite-ish.  With...funky disco guitar and synthesised horns or whatever that awesome explosion of sound is after the solo. 

I really wanted to like SB but it's just screaming mediocre in every aspect. That's the one and only GNR song I could call "mediocre". I never even got the point of the title it never made sense to me, what's the Shotgun Blues? Maybe that would open the door for me :lol:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

YES! One other Riad fan!!!! :headbang: That's two! Things are looking up!

And yes, Scraped is an abomination. Definitely gets the vomit emoji from me. 

But so as not to derail the Illusions thread with CD talk...another one that tends to cop a bit of a bashing is Bad Obsession which of course I love.  It's a bit long (as usual with Axl, he never knew when to stop), but my god that intro...and the chorus... and the piano...and Duff's bass...:drool:

Now, that's Three :P
Oh, and i love Shackler's Revenge, and i would love to listen that song on NITL.

I'd probably lean more towards the second, but it really depends on my mood. When I talk about the records, I mostly consider them one item, as I've always preferred them over Appetite, but when you break it down, it's probably the equivalent of 4 albums or something daft like that :lol:

UYI I is my fave, I usually listen to the whole record while I tend to skip some songs on UYI II.

Its probably because UYI I is more of a Izzy based album, more rock n roll while the other is more of a experimental hard rock record. 

Edited by default_

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Why thank you, except I'm a lady. :lol:  I would love them to bring it back, even for just one night, even with Axl's warbling grandma vocal...I'd still enjoy the band and Duff.

Don't take it bad, he's always had trouble telling the difference.  Two drinks and he's anybodys.

• Haha 1

UYI I all the way.

The only UYI II songs I like are 14 Years, Breakdown, Yesterdays, YCBM, Locomotive, Estranged, and Pretty Tied Up. I think Civil War is kinda juvenile and simplistic...I don't dig the rest at all. So Fine is another band's B-Side. Get in the Ring and Shotgun Blues are the worst GN'R songs imo. My World needed to be 4 minutes longer and actually be a fleshed out rather than an idea of a song. A second Don't Cry is pure filler. Knockin' on Heaven's Door is lame.

Anyone have Shotgun Blues stuck in their head now too? :P

I also like the hated songs, Shotgun, GITR, BOB, rhiad, scraped. They’re obviously not as great as some, but they each have a redeeming quality to them, IMO  

Not my world. 

UYII every day.. Those songs aged better for me.

Here is how I would rank the songs in context and relative to the Gn'R  catalog.  5 being an average Gn'R tune which is still a good song!

Right Next Door To Hell  5    Civil War 10
Dust N' Bones 8                   14 years 7
Live and Let Die  6               Yesterday's 6
Don't Cry  9                         KOHD  5 (missed the mark with the studio version)
Perfect Crime  5.5                Get in the Ring 7
You Ain't The First 5             Shotgun Blues   7
Bad Obsession 7                  Breakdown  9
Back Off Bitch 7                   Pretty Tied Up 7
Double Talkin Jive 6             Locomotive   10
November Rain 10               So Fine 4
The Garden 6                      Estranged  10
The Garden Of Eden 5         You Could Be Mine  10
Don't Damn Me 7                Don't Cry (alt)  9
Bad Apples 7                      My World  4 
Dead Horse 8
Coma  7

Edited by Tom-Ass

12 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Don't Cry  9                         KOHD  5 (missed the mark with the studio version)
Perfect Crime  4                   Get in the Ring 7
Back Off Bitch 8                   Pretty Tied Up 6
Dead Horse 8
Coma  7

There is so much wrong with this.... in what world is My World as good as Perfect Crime!? Back Off Bitch better than Coma? :facepalm: Pretty Tied Up worse than Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, Bad Obsession... Tom-Ass has clearly lost his mind (and we all know it was Frank's fault).

:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There is so much wrong with this.... in what world is My World as good as Perfect Crime!? Back Off Bitch better than Coma? :facepalm: Pretty Tied Up worse than Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, Bad Obsession... Tom-Ass has clearly lost his mind (and we all know it was Frank's fault).

:P

Music is subjective my friend lol... To put some perspective, I really don't think Guns had a bad song off Appetite, LIES and the Illusions and I always did and even still do like My World for what it is. Like I said though I liked all that shit so a 5 isn't a bad thing.. Just relative to the rest of their catalog. 

But I did just listen to Perfect Crime and made a few changes ;) 

I truly do love Back Of Bitch, Shotgun Blues and Get In The Ring though..

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

this task seemed daunting until @Tom-Ass came up with a scheme so I am copying

Right Next Door To Hell  10   Civil War 10
Dust N' Bones 10                   14 years 10
Live and Let Die  9               Yesterday's 9
Don't Cry  10                         KOHD  10 
Perfect Crime  10                  Get in the Ring 5 (lost a point for a super cringe line)
You Ain't The First 8             Shotgun Blues   7
Bad Obsession 9                 Breakdown  10
Back Off Bitch 6                  Pretty Tied Up 10
Double Talkin Jive 10             Locomotive   10
The Garden 10                     Estranged  10
The Garden Of Eden 9         You Could Be Mine  10
Don't Damn Me 10               Don't Cry (alt)  10
Bad Apples 10                      My World  horror at first then grew on me to a 4
Dead Horse 9
Coma  10

Edit: I was remiss, you aint the first moves from 7 to an 8 which means shotgun blues needs to go from an 8 to a 7 or the thing doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Pishy
  • Like 1

I will always contend that UYI I is as good as Appetite. 

So much more diversity. Don't Cry, You Ain't the First and November Rain being great ballads. Back Off Bitch, Don't Damn Me, Right Next Door to He'll and Perfect Crime being Appetite-esque "rockers", Live and Let Die, Dead Horse and Bad Obsession being slightly more unique rockers, the Garden and Coma being psychedelic trips, Garden of Eden being essentially rap rock, Bad Apples being a Brownstone part 2. Double Talkin' Jive being it's own thing and Dust N' Bones being a slow stonsey rock song. 

But the majority of appetite was so solid but only hard rock and the production was just outright better, more interplay between Izzy and Slash with Steven's groovier drums, it just sounds better. If UYI 1 had those it most definitely would of beat out Appetite. 

As for UYI II, 14 Years is great and similiar to Dust N' Bones but the latter is better for me personally. Civil War, You Could Be Mine, Pretty Tied Up and Locomotive are all fantastic. I'd take Estranged over November Rain's orchestral intro and other sections. 

Yesterday's is only alright and I perfer PC, BOB, DDM and RNDTH's mediocrity. 

Knockin' on Heaven's Door is dissapointing after hearing it with Steven up until UYI, 10 points to Gryffindor oops I mean Live and Let Die. 

Breakdown just doesn't cut it for me and I do like only parts of Shotgun Blues. 

Lastly I do like So Fine and Get in the Ring a lot and My World isn't as bad for 90 seconds at the end of the album as everyone makes it out to be. 

Also Chinese Democracy's best material is the title track, Shackler's Revenge, If The World and Sorry. Not much else is really my cup of tea. 

Also here's the mention of Gn'R Lies and The Spaghetti Incident so nobody feels left out. Also don't forget Live Era, am I forgetting anything? 

Edited by 98izzark
Grammar

52 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Here is how I would rank the songs in context and relative to the Gn'R  catalog.  5 being an average Gn'R tune which is still a good song!

Dead Horse 8
Coma  7

"UYI II every day" - not only did I not lose barely, it even scored slightly higher for you overall:lol:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Music is subjective my friend lol... To put some perspective, I really don't think Guns had a bad song off Appetite, LIES and the Illusions and I always even and still do like My World for what it is. Like I said though I liked all that shit so a 5 isn't a bad thing.. Just relative to the rest of their catalog. 

I'm just bullshittin man, hopefully that post came off as light-hearted.

I kinda get the love for the 'hated' songs, Back Off Bitch etc. because if they were on an album from any other band they'd be good, but they just aren't as good as the rest of the songs GNR put out. On the occasions that I listen to them I usually find them better than I remember, like you say though it's not that they're actually bad songs, a 'bad GNR song' is still usually a good song, just not up to par.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Dead Horse 8
Coma  7

Interesting...

UYI I

1. Right Next Door To Hell  - 6
2. Dust N' Bones - 6
3. Live and Let Die  - 6           
4. Don't Cry - 10
5. Perfect Crime - 6          
6. You Ain't The First - 6             
7. Bad Obsession - 6  
8. Back Off Bitch - 7        
9. Double Talkin Jive - 8          
10. November Rain - 10     
11. The Garden - 7
12. Garden Of Eden - 6
13. Don't Damn Me - 7
14. Bad Apples - 6      
15. Dead Horse - 7
16. Coma - 10

UYI II

1. Civil War - 10

2. 14 Years - 9

3. Yesterdays - 9

4. Knockin' On Heavens Door - 7

5. Get In The Ring - 3

6. Shotgun Blues - 3

7. Breakdown- 8

8. Pretty Tied Up - 8

9. Locomotive - 9

10. So Fine - 7

11. Estranged - 10

12. You Could Be Mine - 10

13. Don't Cry (Alt) - N/A

14. My World - 2

Right Next Door To Hell  6    Civil War 7
Live and Let Die  5               Yesterday's 7
Don't Cry  8                         KOHD  5
Perfect Crime  7                  Get in the Ring 4
You Ain't The First 7             Shotgun Blues  4
Bad Obsession 7                  Breakdown  8
Back Off Bitch 5                   Pretty Tied Up 7
Double Talkin Jive 7.5          Locomotive   10
November Rain 9                So Fine 4.5
The Garden Of Eden 6.5      You Could Be Mine 8
Don't Damn Me 8               Don't Cry (alt)  7 (I like it, but it loses a point for redundancy)
Bad Apples 8                       My World  1
Dead Horse 8
Coma  10

I have always liked UYI1 better and still do to this day. I feel like aside from Civil War, YCBM and Estranged  UYI2 doesn't really compete with UYI1. UYI1 does have some filler like Bad Apples and Bad Obsession(there's a "bad" theme there I think) but UYI2 has My World and Get in the Ring(which musically and melody wise are ok but the lyrics suck so bad it ruins the song). And even though I like Don't Cry alt lyrics better it's basically just a duplicate song from UYI1. Also as much as I enjoy songs like Locomotive and Breakdown I feel those songs overstay their welcome but about 2 minutes each. All in all I think UYI1 flows better, has a better collection of songs and just feels more GnR to me. Love'em both but UYI1 gets the nod. 

II over I. Don't cry is better, Breakdown is in it, Locomotive. I also can't stand You ain't the first (and you ain't the best either honey) sorry for the bad joke. 

Also I like Estranged more than November Rain, all the way until the end a November-esque tips of ending would have been awesome in that track, and you know what, I'm just much more into it, whenever I want to listen to studio versions of Guns N' Roses, that's the first album that always pops up, along with CD which is my personal favorite. 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Music is subjective my friend lol... To put some perspective, I really don't think Guns had a bad song off Appetite, LIES and the Illusions and I always even and still do like My World for what it is. Like I said though I liked all that shit so a 5 isn't a bad thing.. Just relative to the rest of their catalog. 

Get in the ring is fun,is a song 'in your face'  😎