Do you rate one Illusions record over the other?

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

But the first one has You Ain't The First (ultimate filler song), Garden Of Eden and Bad Obsession, and a bunch of mediocre songs like Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch and Bad Apples.

You just mentioned 3/6 of my favourite Guns N' Roses songs, two more songs I  like, and one I rather like - I'll leave it to you to decide which ones are which? 

View them as two separate studio albums coming out of the same “era”. Love them both (see avatar)- but love UYI II a little more b/c it covers more ground stylistically (from the “South Will Rise Again” southern rock start to the electric sitar, 10 minutes in dolphin land, Arnold and the Reznor outttake finish). That said- as an individual track- nothing on II I love quite as much as “November Rain”- which I consider Axl’s “genius moment” in rock history that can never be taken from him...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

32 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You just mentioned 3/6 of my favourite Guns N' Roses songs, two more songs I  like, and one I rather like - I'll leave it to you to decide which ones are which? 

Favourites: You Ain't The First, Bad Obession, Perfect Crime 

Like: Back Off Bitch, Bad Apples

Rather like: Garden Of Eden

What do I win?

I like this topic, because it were my first 2 albums that I ever bought and I wasn't even a teenager. Since UYI I was the first of the 2 CD's I bought, it's UYI I for me personally. (The first cut is the deepest they say). 

Reg the songs it's based on the current mood I'm in. UYI I has more drive, agression and dirt, which I really miss in  most of nowerdays music. UYI II has more Ballads and cleaner sound. the colours of the album-covers seem to represent this kind of dualism. I think it was great idea to make 2 albums out of them, so each of them gets more attention. And also the songs seem to be well seperated. 

I can't tell which one is better, after all these years I'm happy that both were released individually.

16 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

No dude, it was a negative 10, My World is the biggest piece of shit EVER! :lol:

I was surprised when I saw Slash in your avatar and you rated My World as a 10!!! I assumed you must've been one of those cray-cray Axl nut swingers or something.... :lol:

Edited by Towelie
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I wish they explored the You Ain't The First side of themselves more, I love those sorts of tracks. 

I always thought what made GnR really interesting was their musical versatility - how none of the albums really sound like the other. It's like they do one style and then say "Cool - we did that, let's move on and try something else to keep things interesting." 

So you've got the Izzy stuff for the Stones fans, songs like Coma for the metal heads, Garden of Eden/Perfect Crime/It's so Easy for the punkers, etc. Something for everyone. Yeah, the results may not always be successful but it's interesting nonetheless to hear them try different things. I love You Ain't the First - I would love to hear an album of songs like that. But there's something punk about the way GnR put together Illusions - they did whatever the fuck they wanted and didn't give a toss for what people expected or wanted - there's no cohesiveness to that album and that's sort of like GnR giving the finger to conventional wisdom. 

I'd agree with you though that GnR could really use more of Izzy's wry, self-aware lyrics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I always thought what made GnR really interesting was their musical versatility - how none of the albums really sound like the other. It's like they do one style and then say "Cool - we did that, let's move on and try something else to keep things interesting." 

So you've got the Izzy stuff for the Stones fans, songs like Coma for the metal heads, Garden of Eden/Perfect Crime/It's so Easy for the punkers, etc. Something for everyone. Yeah, the results may not always be successful but it's interesting nonetheless to hear them try different things. I love You Ain't the First - I would love to hear an album of songs like that. But there's something punk about the way GnR put together Illusions - they did whatever the fuck they wanted and didn't give a toss for what people expected or wanted - there's no cohesiveness to that album and that's sort of like GnR giving the finger to conventional wisdom. 

I'd agree with you though that GnR could really use more of Izzy's wry, self-aware lyrics.

The only trouble is when they did that shit and put it through the GnR filter it all starts sounding a bit samey, whereas other bands that have versatility can like...I mean every band put their own musical stamp on stuff to a degree but I dunno whether its to do with cranked up Marshal amps or what but...they often took the nuance out of songs too.  For example they cover Whole Lotta Rosie and really take it somewhere...but then cover Sympathy and destroy it because of a lack of the requisite subtlety.  But then they'll cover Since i Don't Have You and really take it somewhere and do well with it.  I dunno, they were a bit hit and miss to me overall in the sense of venturing out of their musical comfort zone.

This topic is beyond stupid 

The rare tunes on these albums are better than all the overplayed shit they've been playing for eternity that includes appetite the more apropriate topic is why the fuck haven't GNR been able to pick some of the rare and awesome tunes from each album and play them as a treat to the fans in this order.

14 years 

Dust N Bones 

The Garden

Dead Horse 

Locomotive 

Perfect Crime

• Like 1

I often wonder how differently they would've divided up the Illusions material had they decided to release one album in 1990 and a follow up in 1993 as two completely unrelated albums.

Maybe something like this?

"Perfect Crime" released in 1990:

1. Perfect Crime

2. You Could Be Mine

3. Back Off Bitch

4. Don't Cry

5. Civil War

6. 14 Years

7. Live & Let Die

8. Double Talkin Jive

9. November Rain

10. The Garden

11. The Garden of Eden

12. Don't Damn Me

13. Dead Horse

14. Coma

"Use Your Illusions" released in 93:

1. Right Next Door To He'll

2. Dust N Bones

3. Yesterdays

4. Knockin On Heavens Door

5. Pretty Tied Up

6. Breakdown

7. Locomotive 

8. You Ain't The First

9. Bad Apples

10. Get In The Ring

11. Shotgun Blues

12. Bad Obsession

13. Estranged

14. My World

Edited by Towelie

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Musically it is basically a Sabbath derivative - the riff is an Iommi knock-off: Guns N' Roses's (hitherto) only foray into sludge metal. Lyrically it is typical Rose waffle which usually pertains to one of his two female friends stroke punching bags. 

Ok... that's just... your opinion man

UYI 1 is very much the stronger album. Dead Horse, Coma, Right Next Door to Hell, Double Talkin' Jive and Dust n Bones are all such good album tracks. 

Maybe the lowlight is The Garden? But even that is good, Bad Obsession and Back of Bitch I don't mind at all. Oh, and Perfect Crime is epic. Not to mention Coma..

Yeah, Estranged, Locomotive, YCBM and 14 Years are amazing but UYI 1 is a much stronger set of work. One of the best rock albums for sure. 

Edit: not to mention Don't Damn Me! For sure Gn'Rs most underrated song.

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1

15 hours ago, EvanG said:

There are bands like the Bloodhound Gang or people like Weird Al Yankovic who make that kind of music. You should check it out if you're into joke rock/music.

Man that song is pure Stones.... The Stones have a bunch of songs like this, Sweet Virginia, Dear Doctor, Dead Flowers, Country Honk, You Got The Silver.... 

Its a laid back, late night, acoustic studio recording, a drunken singalong... (ruined by that naff "Deep down inside" voice) 🙄

Lyrics

I tried so hard just to get through to you
But your head's so far
From the realness of truth
Was it just a come on in the dark
Wasn't meant to last long
I think you've worn your welcome honey
I'll just see you along as I sing you this song

Time can pass slowly 
Things always change
Your day's been numbered
And I've read your last page
You was just a temporary love
But honey you ain't the first
Lots of other come before you woman
Said but you been the worst
Said you been the worst

So goodbye to you girl
So long, farewell
I can't hear you cryin'
Your jivin's been hell
So look for me walkin' 
Down your street at night
I'll be in with another
Deep down inside
Deep down inside

Brilliant. We've all dated that chick! 😂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Man that song is pure Stones.... The Stones have a bunch of songs like this, Sweet Virginia, Dear Doctor, Dead Flowers, Country Honk, You Got The Silver.... 

Its a laid back, late night, acoustic studio recording, a drunken singalong... (ruined by that naff "Deep down inside" voice) 🙄

Lyrics

I tried so hard just to get through to you
But your head's so far
From the realness of truth
Was it just a come on in the dark
Wasn't meant to last long
I think you've worn your welcome honey
I'll just see you along as I sing you this song

Time can pass slowly 
Things always change
Your day's been numbered
And I've read your last page
You was just a temporary love
But honey you ain't the first
Lots of other come before you woman
Said but you been the worst
Said you been the worst

So goodbye to you girl
So long, farewell
I can't hear you cryin'
Your jivin's been hell
So look for me walkin' 
Down your street at night
I'll be in with another
Deep down inside
Deep down inside

Brilliant. We've all dated that chick! 😂

No bro, we all dated that dude. 

But you're correct with that lame deep voice , god dammit what was he thinking ?

Edited by Pishy
  • Haha 1

My opinion:

UYI I

1. Right Next Door To Hell  - 5
2. Dust N' Bones - 7
3. Live and Let Die  - 7          
4. Don't Cry - 9
5. Perfect Crime - 3        
6. You Ain't The First - 6             
7. Bad Obsession - 8  
8. Back Off Bitch - 7   (Izzy's intro solo saves this song)
9. Double Talkin Jive - 7 (although this is probably a 9 when its played live cuz slash goes to town)         
10. November Rain - 10     
11. The Garden - 8
12. Garden Of Eden - 4
13. Don't Damn Me - 9 (this riff is sick)
14. Bad Apples - 3      
15. Dead Horse - 8
16. Coma - 10

Average rating= 7.4

UYI II

1. Civil War - 10

2. 14 Years - 9 (Izzy better play this one last time with the band)

3. Yesterdays - 8

4. Knockin' On Heavens Door - 7

5. Get In The Ring - 6

6. Shotgun Blues - 3

7. Breakdown- 8

8. Pretty Tied Up - 7

9. Locomotive - 10

10. So Fine - 8

11. Estranged - 11 (this is the best illusion song and a top 3 GNR all time song)

12. You Could Be Mine - 9

13. Don't Cry (Alt) - 9.5 (I prefer this version for some reason

14. My World - 1

Average rating= 7.5 (COUNTED ESTRANGED AS A 10 IN MY CALCULATIONS) 

I always slightly preferred UYI2 even before doing this song by song analysis. Ratings also probably fluctuate with my mood. Now a greatest hits album just with Illusion songs would be fun

7 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Everybody knows that if there's one band with a lot of filler in their discography, it's the Stones.

• Like 1

And my vote goes to... UYI 1

UYI 1                                        UYI 2

Right Next Door To Hell - 5          Civil War - 9.5
Dust N' Bones - 8.5                     14 years - 8
Live and Let Die - 6                     Yesterdays - 8
Don't Cry - 10                             KOHD -  8.5
Perfect Crime - 3.5                      Get in the Ring - 4.5
You Ain't The First - 7.5               Shotgun Blues - 2
Bad Obsession - 5.5                     Breakdown - 7
Back Off Bitch - 6.5                      Pretty Tied Up - 7
Double Talkin Jive - 8                   Locomotive - 9.5
November Rain - 10                     So Fine - 6
The Garden - 8.5                         Estranged - 10
Garden Of Eden - 4.5                   You Could Be Mine - 10
Don't Damn Me - 8                       Don't Cry (alt) - 8
Bad Apples - 7                             My World - 2
Dead Horse - 9.5
Coma - 10

average: 7.4                              average: 7.1

Also, I always skip Shotgun Blues and My World so UYI1 has 4 more songs for me..