Do you rate one Illusions record over the other?

13 hours ago, EvanG said:

Uhm... the Stones have made a lot of records since '72.

They have, and excluding Blue and lonesome which is excellent and the odd live album there's been a lot of filler on those albums, there wasn't as much filler on the albums up to 72. (Just my take, I love the Stones) 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Stones' ''filler'' is better than otherbands' ''masterpieces''.

must have been said in jest, but it's not true of course. Queen, aerosmith, guns n roses, led zeppelin, the beatles have written masterpieces that certainly are better than the following (of the top of my head):

continental drift

she saw me coming

anybody seen my baby

fool to cry

You see, the rolling stones are one of those bands, that could benefit from a bit of editing. A song like "slave" is far too long and could easily do with 2 minutes less. "Can you hear me knocking" gets boring by the time the middle improvisation section kicks in. I skip the song by that time. I have to cut out the bagage of that song sometime, with one of those free music editing software programs. There is also that song on aftermath that is ridiculously long and i just deleted it from the tracklist altogether.

It's minor nitpicks for an otherwise brilliant back catalogue, bursting with quality. But yeah, some of those songs, get a little fucking boring after a while.

1 minute ago, action said:

must have been said in jest, but it's not true of course. Queen, aerosmith, guns n roses, led zeppelin, the beatles have written masterpieces that certainly are better than the following (of the top of my head):

continental drift

she saw me coming

anybody seen my baby

fool to cry

You see, the rolling stones are one of those bands, that could benefit from a bit of editing. A song like "slave" is far too long and could easily do with 2 minutes less. "Can you hear me knocking" gets boring by the time the middle improvisation section kicks in. I skip the song by that time. I have to cut out the bagage of that song sometime, with one of those free music editing software programs. There is also that song on aftermath that is ridiculously long and i just deleted it from the tracklist altogether.

It's minor nitpicks for an otherwise brilliant back catalogue, bursting with quality. But yeah, some of those songs, get a little fucking boring after a while.

You'd almost lost me with the four songs you initially quoted only to completely lose me with what I have placed in bold. That jam is one of the most glorious moments in rock n' roll history. It is a fully fledged Mick Taylor tour de force. 

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You'd almost lost me with the four songs you initially quoted only to completely lose me with what I have placed in bold. That jam is one of the most glorious moments in rock n' roll history. It is a fully fledged Mick Taylor tour de force. 

too much horns

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I notice this thing with rock fans that if something has a long solo in it it is necessarily falls under the category of meandering and pointless, I don't agree with that, especially in this instance, its actually quite tight and builds to like a moderate sort of a crescendo, meandering and aimless is more sort of ELP type stuff thats just like...showing off for its own sake, My Favourite Things by Coltrane is long solos but everything that is happening is very purposeful and deliberate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I notice this thing with rock fans that if something has a long solo in it it is necessarily falls under the category of meandering and pointless, I don't agree with that, especially in this instance, its actually quite tight and builds to like a moderate sort of a crescendo, meandering and aimless is more sort of ELP type stuff thats just like...showing off for its own sake, My Favourite Things by Coltrane is long solos but everything that is happening is very purposeful and deliberate.

It is the jazz influence. And blues. Hendrix used to jam away on everything. I love jam bands. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I don't, not really.  You have to be something exceptional to work that into a rock context.  Hendrix could do it. 

You do indeed. Well you must if you like jazz. 

Hendrix

Do you like Cream despite racist Clapton.

Stones were jammy during the Mick Taylor era.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You do indeed. Well you must if you like jazz. 

Hendrix

Do you like Cream despite racist Clapton.

Stones were jammy during the Mick Taylor era.

I love Cream, i think they were brilliant.  I like Jazz yeah but those guys were fuckin' monsters, you can't really compare guys like Coltrane or Bird or Sonny Rollins and them with fuckin'...I dunno, all these rock guitarists that love solo-ing.  Ginge was the making of Cream really. 

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Right Next Door To Hell  3    Civil War  10
Dust N' Bones  9                  14 years  9
Live and Let Die  7               Yesterday's  10
Don't Cry  8                        KOHD  6
Perfect Crime  10                Get in the Ring  2
You Ain't The First  8           Shotgun Blues  1
Bad Obsession  10                 Breakdown  10
Back Off Bitch  3                  Pretty Tied Up  10
Double Talkin Jive  9            Locomotive  10
November Rain  8               So Fine  8
The Garden  10                   Estranged  10
The Garden Of Eden  5        You Could Be Mine  10
Don't Damn Me  10               Don't Cry (alt)  10
Bad Apples  1                       My World  5
Dead Horse  8                     
Coma  10

According to my calculations I prefer Use Your Illusion I

Oh come on... RNDTH a 3 and My World a 5? I know music is subjective and all, but this is insane.

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

My World is unique oddity and has grown on me. While RNDTH has a cool intro, it then completely fizzles out so it disappoints me more.

My World is like pooping in public places, it always sucks and you never get used to it.

• Like 1

It is weird the way Rose has rather avoided Illusion since 2001, instead concentrating on Appetite for his setlists. By all accounts he wouldn't have reintroduced 'Estranged' if not for Bumblefoot ditto 'Coma' and Slash. It is the Illusions and not Appetite that contain all of the 'Axley' numbers, your Estrangeds, Breakdowns etc. He was even writing rockers then, decent ones like 'Dead Horse'.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is weird the way Rose has rather avoided Illusion since 2001, instead concentrating on Appetite for his setlists. By all accounts he wouldn't have reintroduced 'Estranged' if not for Bumblefoot ditto 'Coma' and Slash. It is the Illusions and not Appetite that contain all of the 'Axley' numbers, your Estrangeds, Breakdowns etc. He was even writing rockers then, decent ones like 'Dead Horse'.

Something to do with bad memories of making the albums I think

• Like 1

9 hours ago, action said:

continental drift

she saw me coming

anybody seen my baby

fool to cry

The Stones beat out every band you mention except for Queen and Led Zeppelin, and both of those benefit from having far shorter discographies and thus less chances to screw up. The Stones never put out an album as bad as In Through the Out Door. Aerosmith is basically poor man's Stones without any of the musical depth or ability to tackle other genres with ease.

7 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Something to do with bad memories of making the albums I think

Yeah, that's what I reckon as well.

Rose: Oh, that's on the live [album]. I just like the piano song ["It's Alright"] and the words, and when you play it for people, they had no idea it was a Black Sabbath song.

Loder: [Laughs]

Rose: So it was just kind of fun, and then it worked out as a intro to "November Rain" live, and it just so happened that [it] came out well on tape, so we were able to use it. Del James worked for a couple of years off and on going though every single show we did on DAT tape from the "Use Your Illusion" tour and then every available tape, and finding tapes, and finding people that have recorded things, so he could have in his mind what was recorded best from the entire time Guns N' Roses was together. There were a lot of difficulties where things weren't... when they were recorded, when they were fully recorded to 24, 48 tracks, it wasn't recorded that well at times, and so it took a long time to find what tracks were available to use, because we had never officially recorded a show to make a live album.

Loder: When you listen to that stuff back now, do you think, "Wow, that was a great band, that was a great time," or are your feelings clouded?

Rose: For me, when I hear certain things on the "Use Your Illusion" tour, I... on that record, it's... since I'm in it, I can hear a band dying. I can hear when Izzy was unconsciously over it. I can hear where the band was leaning away from what Guns N' Roses [had] originally been about.

People may have their favorite songs, and it may be on "Use Your Illusion," but most people do tend to lean towards "Appetite" as being the defining Guns N' Roses record, and I can hear how, in the sound, it was moving away from that there. There's just so much I was able to do in keeping that aspect together.

[Axl Rose - A conversation with Kurt Loder, 1999]

On 11/19/2017 at 9:24 AM, EvanG said:

I can't believe so many people rate Right Next Door To Hell so low... it's one of the best openers on an album ever. I'd even go as far as saying that it is a better opener than Welcome To The Jungle in my opinion.

Originally rated it a 5. I've listened to it a few times the past day or so and its growing on me. Probably 6-7 now

• Like 1

Some people prefer UYI I because of Don't Cry. However, the better version on DC is on II. For me, the Blue one beats the Orange one...now, yesterday, when the songs were played live before the albums dropped, and the day they were in our hands. UYI II wins because of its heaviest hitters.

• Like 1