Inquiring Minds

Pishy

I just read an article about how having an earlobe crease, likely increases your chance for heart disease. While I inspected my ears, I wondered what other useless, or maybe not so useless, information I was not privy to. There are a lot of people here with special interests and certainly personal experience. 

This thread is where we can share tidbits about things we picked-up along the way that might be useful to others, or where you can ask a question. 

Nothing is too trivial or too serious. Share a home remedy, answer life's burning questions, tell us about health indicators, offer a cool fix for a common problem, ask how to do something or how something works, tell us how to make something, ask what you should do about a problem, share how you fixed a big or small problem in your life that may help someone else. 

• GNFNR 1

@Whiskey Rose these are good! oddly enough, I was just looking up the ring around the iris. I thought I always had one and there is a difference between the bad ring and the limbal ring but hell if I know which one I have. 

Ill throw a few out:

-for guys, or gals, peppermint oil diluted in coconut or some other carrier oil, can be put on your scalp to help with hair loss

-real organic olive oil, has great anti-inflammatory properties, you can use it on your skin or vagina (labia) after giving birth or anytime (hey, I didn't come up with that, some sick drs in the fam)

-check your Vit D levels, many of us are deficient, in range is not good enough, aim for a minimum of 20 points above the low end of ref range

• Like 1

I am really not into bad science/healing crystals/acupuncture/homeopathy and until recently I would have judged people who use any of those quite harshly. There are some (but not a reliable amount) of studies which demonstrate that women who drink raspberry leaf tea during their third trimester have easier labours, as it "tones the uterus" :blink:. Anyway, I'm desperate enough to try anything at this stage, so now Clipper has my money. 

092629_A.png

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

But I give my seal of approval for acupuncture. Have you ever done it? It's amazing and would probably be extra good for you since you're pregnant.

I think I've had enough things inside me already… :ph34r:

No, never tried acupuncture, not something my GP has ever prescribed. 

That's a funny idea for a thread in a GnR forum but I like it.

- When you're pregnant and you're 3-4 days or longer overdue you can insert a tampon bathed in oil of cloves into the vagina. It can help start labour.

- Bee/wasp stitch: cut an onion in half and put the onion on the sting. The onion juice is disinfectant. I did that several times for my children and always the pain and the swelling went down rapidly. 

- When little kids have a cough, you can make a calming and healing juice out of onions and honey. Cut an onion in small pieces and add honey on top. Lots of honey. After a while there will be a juice from onions and honey on them bottom. Give 1-2 tablespoons three times a day. It's disinfectant to the throat, honey is soothing for the bronchia. Honey also is a natural antibiotic. The juice actually taste much better than you'd think. ;) 

- Ah! Tumeric and ginger for colds. When you're feeling you're getting the flu or a bad cold, use any combination of fresh turmeric, ginger and fruit-juice with a lots of vitamin c. I do cold juices with apple juice or lemon juice, grated tumeric and ginger. Add honey. You can also make a tea out of it, just add hot water. Just did it last week and my cold didn't break out. Tumeric is the thing! It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine. Turmeric works antiviral and antibacterial and also has a calming effect on the paranasal sinuses.

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do it. Trust me.

Can anyone else who's had it done back me up here?

Yep. Had it done against headache and also for preperations to give birth. Even my health insuranve paid for it. For birth preparation it was my midwife who told me that this existed. Doctors often have no knowledge of "alternative" treatments or other culture's treatments like Chinese medicine that has developed the acupuncture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

I am really not into bad science/healing crystals/acupuncture/homeopathy and until recently I would have judged people who use any of those quite harshly. There are some (but not a reliable amount) of studies which demonstrate that women who drink raspberry leaf tea during their third trimester have easier labours, as it "tones the uterus" :blink:. Anyway, I'm desperate enough to try anything at this stage, so now Clipper has my money. 

092629_A.png

And you can continue to think poorly of bad science and your list because this is Herbalism, which isnt on your list :) 

Also, red raspberry leaves can help with unpleasant menstrual issues, taken as a tea.  Gotta be red though, like how they get at end of season.  Available in the market too.

• Like 3

Can be pro active in cold and flu season by carrying an anti viral sniffer.  Make one by taking half a cotton ball (ideally organic) and wetting it with a bit of tea tree essential oil.  Place it in a little medicine vile (glass, brown or blue to prevent light) with a tight fitting lid. You'll want vile small enough that its easy to sniff, 10ml is what I use. Tea tree essential oil is antibacterial and anti viral.  So when some jerk coughs in your face you can take it out of pocket and sniff - a deep sniff, feeling it get all the way to the throat.  Add drops to it as needed.  This works wonders for me.

Similarly for migraines caused by stress; same thing but with lavender essential oil.  Lavender is actually safe to put a bit directly on skin - rubbed into the temples or where it hurts.  Can also put a dab right under the nose.  I know someone who cut their migraines down by 2/3's this way.

Note: there are many types of Lavender essential oil.  Theres should be sample bottles at store.  Smell them all to see which one appeals to you most.

Edited by soon
migraine kept auto correcting to migrants! lol
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, soon said:

Similarly for migraines caused by stress; same thing but with lavender essential oil.  Lavender is actually safe to put a bit directly on skin - rubbed into the temples or where it hurts.  Can also put a dab right under the nose.  I know someone who cut their migraines down by 2/3's this way.

I love lavender oil. Good for burns as well!

13 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Sperm softens the cervix so have lots of sex in the last month ;)

Orgasms don't always induce labour if you're  overdue. Sometimes they do but it's usually just Braxton-Hicks.

@Gracii Guns TMI??

That reminds me of a One Born Every Minute Episode where this couple come in, she's in total agony, but isn't ready for active labour. They're asked to go home, and the look on their faces when they are advised to have sex by the midwife is hilarious! 

It does say this on the back of the pack of tea, so there might be something to it. 

IMG_3421 2.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Anyone know anything about helping the flesh in throat heal?

From a sore throat?  Gargling with salt water usually helps but if it's strep throat or tonsillitis caused by a bacterial infection, you'll need antibiotics.  Usually a tell-tell sign of a bacterial infection is white dots in the back of the throat area. 

Eating raw garlic can help regulate menstrual cycle as it contains an anticoagulant substance. It's also rumored to induce an abortion in very early pregnancy.

On 11/18/2017 at 11:43 AM, Tori72 said:

- When little kids have a cough, you can make a calming and healing juice out of onions and honey. Cut an onion in small pieces and add honey on top. Lots of honey. After a while there will be a juice from onions and honey on them bottom. Give 1-2 tablespoons three times a day. It's disinfectant to the throat, honey is soothing for the bronchia. Honey also is a natural antibiotic. The juice actually taste much better than you'd think. ;) 

My Mum used to make something similar. Honey, lemon, ginger and black pepper for sore throat. Shredded white radish, cloves and honey for coughs (and also soothes sore throat).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

From a sore throat?  Gargling with salt water usually helps but if it's strep throat or tonsillitis caused by a bacterial infection, you'll need antibiotics.  Usually a tell-tell sign of a bacterial infection is white dots in the back of the throat area. 

I appreciate this info, thanks.  But I am actually talking about cuts in throat.  Throat tissue often heals rather quickly, but because of where the tiny gashes are, things like eating or coughing seem to undo the healing.  Like it almost heals and then I sneeze and it slightly sets the healing back,  and its just a cycle that never quite gets back to 100%.