Do you think the high ticket prices are justified because they play quite long shows?

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

But actually, it is just another lineup change.

This is not THE gnr, it is just another version of it, with the same fucked up band dynamics. It is not the band that used to tour in the 80s and 90s. It’s just Axl’s band with 2 former employees that came back.

AND the quality isn’t there, period.

YOU see it as another lineup change because you spend time here on a guns n' roses message board and have followed the band continuously (and you're not wrong)  but the general public sees it as slash and axl, finally back together.

People barely care about Duff, much less anyone else. The fact that Axl and Slash are back is enough for most to think of it as a reunion. 

Quality is subjective. I struggle with Axl's performances personally as well but I have friends who are casual GN'R fans who have went to shows and though it was fucking great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, username said:

I agree with everything you said in that post. I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but over here a fair lot of festivals have started offering early bird tickets at discount prices.

Yes. Early bird tickets where you don't even know who the fuck is playing. In a way that's worse than having high ticket prices. I'm not gonna pay 150 whatever not knowing who is gonna show up to the festival.

But actually, it is just another lineup change.

This is not THE gnr, it is just another version of it, with the same fucked up band dynamics. It is not the band that used to tour in the 80s and 90s. It’s just Axl’s band with 2 former employees that came back.

No, it's not. It's the last relevant GNR line up. With 3 original members and some sidemusicians. Just like on the majority of their biggest tour some 25 years ago.

I wonder how much Live Nation, TicketMaster and the venues take from each ticket..we know that the band charges a fixed fee for each show and if it is correct they take 1 million/GIG and this money in a sold out venue (18.000) is some thing around 55,50 dolars per ticket...I mean, the band is not the only one that is making a lot money on this tour. Live Nation, TM and even the venues found their gold pot! And I dont think they care too much about how expensive is since they sell it.

5 minutes ago, Derick said:

I wonder how much Live Nation, TicketMaster and the venues take from each ticket..we know that the band charges a fixed fee for each show and if it is correct they take 1 million/GIG and this money in a sold out venue (18.000) is some thing around 55,50 dolars per ticket...I mean, the band is not the only one that is making a lot money on this tour. Live Nation, TM and even the venues found their gold pot! And I dont think they care too much about how expensive is since they sell it.

I bought my tickets at the stadium box office the day of the show. $33 a piece with no fees. Drove 3 hours with no tickets in hand. If it had sold out I'm sure a scalper would have hooked me up.

The last relevant lineup had gilby and matt instead of melissa, frank and richard.

And how many people gave a shit about Gilby?? And to a lesser extent Matt?? People care now more about those 2 than they did then. And that's basically nostalgia. But to the general masses Gilby and Matt were not important then and are not important now.

33 minutes ago, Derick said:

Well. Most likely they are getting a fixed fee, regardless of how many tickets they sell. And when the venue gets sold out (or whatever the amount they sell over their fixed fee), they get another percentage of that.

They are definitely quite pricey, even comparing them to other artists. It's unfortunate that it will no doubt restrict fans with kids etc to attend shows, as you can end up spending a good chunk of a wage if you're having to book tickets for family, hotel, travel etc. I didn't think it was too bad in Europe, but seeing what some of you guys were having to pay in the States for Golden Circle tickets was quite disgusting. When the European tour was announced last December, I was annoyed at what I felt at the time, exploiting the die hard fans for charging nearly double for Golden Circle. I paid £80 to see AC/DC in Manchester with Axl, and if you were queuing early enough, you'd have gotten close to the stage. I prefer that way, but that's just me. 

Guns play longer than the vast majority of artists out there, so if you're fortunate to attend one show, I feel a casual fan would definitely go home happy.

• Like 1

i find prices were fair the first few legs of this tour but charging these prices for practically the same set in the same city for a 2nd or 3rd time knowing people with money will pay regardless is a little disrespectful but business is business i guess. just wish this band wasnt so much of a business

paid more for a pit ticket to gnr than i did for a 3 day festival where i was in the pit for like 5 or 6 big bands and the sad part is id do it again. just wish axl would throw us a fuckin bone man. and i dont mean a new james brown cover

4 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Standard or not, market value or not, it's detestable and wrong. 

If bands want to have VIP tickets that include buffets, lanyards, meet & greets, and floor seats that cost $750, I guess go for it, but frankly I think the concert would be better with true fans up front and not necessarily high rollers (who tend to not want to "get into" the music).

I honestly don't think a ticket should cost over $100 at face value ($120 with fees). $100 for floor and lower level seats, $75 second tier, $50 for nosebleeds. That seems fair, the band will make money, and virtually all fans can and will go.

When I see the price ranges on some of these bands I just get sad. GNR performed at six area shows last month and I skipped all of them because the prices were just unthinkable. They're one of my all-time favorites, Axl & Slash reunited, this is a historic moment in rock and roll history with them back together, and I just couldn't afford to go and I make okay money. If they'd been more reasonable, likely I would have been at all of them. Hell, they played TWAT which is a song I've been dying to hear live for years (let alone with freaking Slash) and I'm not even bothered by it because I know I had no shot at going given how pricey it was.

Imagine if you're a working class guy who wants to take his wife and two kids to see the legendary Guns N' Roses and you want to sit somewhere decent (like the middle of the arena). Four tickets with prices, fees, and everything else would be over $1,000 for just the tickets

I get bands have to make money and record sales are nonexistent, but Jesus, isn't there a middle ground?

I have a close friend of mine who loves Bon Jovi. In fact when we were kids, he and I used to have debates on who was better Bon Jovi and Metallica or GNR. I like all three bands but GNR is my favorite.

Earlier this year, he took his wife and two kids to see Bon Jovi at Madison Square Garden. The prices for the show were actually a bit more than what I paid for the GNR concert at MSG. I know since I was thinking about going to the show. My friend is an average guy making average money with a mortgage and other bills to pay. He never complained, though, about it.

Concert prices will always be high. I remember back in the day $60 was a high amount for that time period. I wish concert tickets were lower so that I can see more bands and not blow  my budget. I have a mortgage and car payments to make as well. As I stated earlier, I don't mind spending money for concert tickets. I saw two great shows this year. What I do mind is that for a sporting event, you should be given the option of a refund if your team sucks.

60% of Americans do not save enough for retirement and other things. I think as a society we need to prioritize better. I also think that we need more ticket brokers since TicketMaster/LiveNation is the only place to get tickets for any event. Instead of complaining write to your legislator regarding this monopoly. Maybe if enough people do it then things will change. 

7 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Nope, they're not. Bruce Springsteen plays longer shows and charges less.

GnR do it because they love the money and the luxuries you can buy. And have to pay off the whole TB tribe. 

It's not quite accurate or fair to point to one single example or exception as if it's the norm. When you look at the broader picture, GN'R isn't at all a bad deal for the amount of time they play and the quality of the show.

I know hardcore fans, most of which have extremely high expectations and needs, will argue against the quality simply because they've watched hundreds of shows in which to compare -- but for the average fan and majority it's a great experience. 

I just took my wife and mother to the show this past weekend. It was their first time ever seeing them. They both were floored. My wife was even reluctant to go because of the prices and because she's no more than a casual fan. But she's done nothing but rave about it ever since. She's more of a country fan nowadays, but says the GNR show in Sac was one of the best she's ever seen.

I know his has been stated before, but despite all the covers they play -- they are still playing more of their originals than many others do.

They may not be the biggest bang for the buck and someone like Springsteen may be cheaper,   but they are certainly in the upper tier when all things are considered.

Edited by thunderram

i remember watching GNR what was left of GNR in 1992 and ticket prices were around 20 DOLLARS general attendance and you could get in the first row if you arrived early enough -- not my case -- or if you had the will and the strenght to fight through thousands of people -- that was my MO back then

the best thing about those concerts is that POOR PEOPLE who loved the band were able to attend and i remember a lot of people with fucked teeth and what not going completely crazy during the show. these people really loved the band and really werent ashamed of showing their love

these days, POOR PEOPLE can not even get close to this nonsense poors and roses aka guns n aliens tour and what you get in the audience is mostly a bunch of snobs and these people usually act very annoying in a crowd situation

of course none of that would matter if it was actually GNR onstage, if it was actually GNR i wouldnt mind paying zillions of dollars to watch them up close and i wouldnt mind having the snobbiest people around me hahahaha

• Like 3

So now you can’t be a “real fan” if you have money to buy a Pit ticket. To be a real fan a person need have no money! If you have money you can’t love the band! Fuck that!!! Indeed one of the stupidest things that I read on this board. :facepalm:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. Early bird tickets where you don't even know who the fuck is playing. In a way that's worse than having high ticket prices. I'm not gonna pay 150 whatever not knowing who is gonna show up to the festival.

Depends entirely on the festival how much they announce beforehand. 

10 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

No, it's not. It's the last relevant GNR line up. With 3 original members and some sidemusicians. Just like on the majority of their biggest tour some 25 years ago.

The UYI tour started in early '91 with the line-up that recorded the albums.  Axl - Slash - Duff - Izzy - Matt - Dizzy.  All 100% legit genuine bona-fide band members.

Only at the end of that first year '91 Gilby appeared instead of Izzy.  The rest of the line-up that recorded the UYI albums stayed intact right up to the end of the tour in July '93, a year and a half later.

THIS tour ... well ...

33 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

The UYI tour started in early '91 with the line-up that recorded the albums.  Axl - Slash - Duff - Izzy - Matt - Dizzy.  All 100% legit genuine bona-fide band members.

Only at the end of that first year '91 Gilby appeared instead of Izzy.  The rest of the line-up that recorded the UYI albums stayed intact right up to the end of the tour in July '93, a year and a half later.

THIS tour ... well ...

Yes. Gilby appeared from late '91 until '93. The majority of those dates with Izzy happened in the US. They played only 6 cities outside the US. Most of the world didn't get to see them with Izzy on that tour. So it was only 3 original members left. Many thought of Matt as an outsider already, regardless of whether he was on the album or not. Same for Dizzy (but hey, he is still there... so for the people, who do care about him, it's 4 out of those 5 relevant members at the time).

Edited by PatrickS77

48 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. Gilby appeared from late '91 until '93. The majority of those dates with Izzy happened in the US. They played only 6 cities outside the US. Most of the world didn't get to see them with Izzy on that tour. So it was only 3 original members left. Many thought of Matt as an outsider already, regardless of whether he was on the album or not. Same for Dizzy (but hey, he is still there... so for the people, who do care about him, it's 4 out of those 5 relevant members at the time).

7 cities - don't forget RIR2 :)

They charge that much cause people will pay, not for any other reason. Longer shows doesn't justify an increase or decrease in ticket prices. The length of a GnR show doesn't make it better than some other band's show. Bands just charge fucked prices anymore. Looked at getting tickets for U2 at MSG the other day and for 2 tickets row 20 in the upper level at the back of the venue I was looking at nearly $1000 CDN. Ummmm.... No fuck that bullshit. No show is worth that garbage. 

• Like 2

U2s JT tour good seats were £190ish for not even 2 hours in a Stadium there Arena shows in 2015 were £180ish its crazy money but we pay it.

The Stones have UK dates nx year the prices are going too be no doubt £150+ 

The Boss & ESB he plays for nesrly 4 hours tix prices were up a fair bit from the River tour too his last 1 before that

Even FV tixs are a good deal these day when SW & Via have tixs listed for silly money as this new U2 tour in 2018 verified fans thing fans are not getting the tixs but 2nd sites sre fully loaded its all 1 big scam

15 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

U2s JT tour good seats were £190ish for not even 2 hours in a Stadium there Arena shows in 2015 were £180ish its crazy money but we pay it.

The Stones have UK dates nx year the prices are going too be no doubt £150+ 

The Boss & ESB he plays for nesrly 4 hours tix prices were up a fair bit from the River tour too his last 1 before that

Even FV tixs are a good deal these day when SW & Via have tixs listed for silly money as this new U2 tour in 2018 verified fans thing fans are not getting the tixs but 2nd sites sre fully loaded its all 1 big scam

To be fair we put too much emphasis on length of show. U2 plays on average 22 original U2 songs a night. GnR in Vegas played 18 (23 if you include CD songs which many don't give a shit about). Not saying you were doing this but GnR fans in general need to stop carrying this "length of show" torch as if it elevates GnR above all else. It doesn't mean as much as they think it does and in fact the GnR shows would kick more ass if they were shorter and they played less covers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The prices (£150 plus) are too much for an experience that only lasts 2-3 hours, prices that could take you on a cheapo holiday for one week!!

I do not like any band that much. 

Totally true for Example Oslo tixs are £140ish the flights from LHR are £140 

I know a few people in my area Monmouthshire who jusy went too Spain for just over £250 each