A Perfect Circle Guitarist Says He 'Became Close' With Axl During Making Of 'Chinese Democracy'

Weird that after two and a half years, his only official credit was for TWAT. I think he helped record Axl's acoustic guitar? Might be misremembering.

EDIT: In the liner notes for TWAT it credits him with "digital editing"; was thinking of Youth's quote of "I went to his house and we started writing songs, strumming guitars in the kitchen".

1zxupau.jpg

Edited by Amir

31 minutes ago, Sosso said:

It's really interesting to read the liner notes from Chinese Democracy.

Paul DeCarli for example. He already was the Pro Tools Operator for the NIN Album "The Fragile"

http://www.pauldecarli.com/search/label/pro tools operator

Further evidence that Axl Rose was desperate to turn himself into Trent Reznor back then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Amir said:

Weird that after two and a half years, his only official credit was for TWAT. I think he helped record Axl's acoustic guitar? Might be misremembering.

EDIT: In the liner notes for TWAT it credits him with "digital editing"; was thinking of Youth's quote of "I went to his house and we started writing songs, strumming guitars in the kitchen".

1zxupau.jpg

You have to remember that almost everything was at one stage or another re-recorded or replaced... one of the many reasons explaining the delay releasing it. If he worked on the record with Axl for 2.5yrs, it's very likely that he worked on a lot more than this one song, but we'll not be hearing those versions of songs.

I think we all know that Freese and Howerdel founded APC on Axls dime.  :shrugs:

Just a heads up; Its a good interview for we who like APC but theres very little talk about CD/Axl here.  In addition to he was close with Axl, he also says he's never listened to the released album all the way through.

Axl might have been heavily into NIN at the time, as evidenced by his recruitment choices, but I do not understand the argument that CD sounds like NIN because it really does not. For example, which Robin Finck guitar parts sound like NIN guitars? None. Which songs are structured like NIN songs? None really, because there are guitar solos and stuff.

CD sounds more like Muse or something with all the Marco Beltrami orchestras instead of NIN.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

Axl might have been heavily into NIN at the time, as evidenced by his recruitment choices, but I do not understand the argument that CD sounds like NIN because it really does not. For example, which Robin Finck guitar parts sound like NIN guitars? None. Which songs are structured like NIN songs? None really, because there are guitar solos and stuff.

CD sounds more like Muse or something with all the Marco Beltrami orchestras instead of NIN.

I think that the demos from 1998 and 1999 sounded a lot more industrial than the finished product. Most of the songs were inspired by Queen, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie anyway

You know, I'd really like to hear the album as it was originally envisioned back in the mid-late 90s. I'm not a huge fan of Industrial (I really only like NIN and Marilyn Manson) but a Guns album in this style would have been different, that's for sure. Too bad we'll probably never hear it.

5 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

You know, I'd really like to hear the album as it was originally envisioned back in the mid-late 90s. I'm not a huge fan of Industrial (I really only like NIN and Marilyn Manson) but a Guns album in this style would have been different, that's for sure. Too bad we'll probably never hear it.

Oh My God, 1999 versions of TWAT and IRS along with Madagascar (which was the first song written for CD) and Silkworms are basically what the album sounded like in the late 90s...Not much different from what we got. Catcher in the Rye, Riad N' The Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Prostitute, and SOD were all done by January 2000. I don't believe there was some industrial version of CD with different songs. The only stuff added later seems to have been Better, Sorry, and Shacklers, and Shackler's is Industrial Metal...Not far from stuff like Rob Zombie.

Edited by Fashionista

50 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Wasn't This I Love the first song written for CD? It existed in some form or another in the early 90's.

Yeah but it wasnt really written for CD, Axl didnt even want to release it, Robin had to convince him or something like this. 

Wasn't there a bit from one of Axl's chats where he revealed that he did an entire album worth of songs/instrumental pieces for End of Days?

He even had a name for one of the tracks - "Mommy decided to bang the Devil" or something like that :P

I suspect he had an album worth of industrial rockers but after the poor reception of OMG, he tossed all those songs into the vault. He has sort of alluded to this in some of those interviews he did in 2001 to Brazilian media. 

21 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Wasn't there a bit from one of Axl's chats where he revealed that he did an entire album worth of songs/instrumental pieces for End of Days?

He even had a name for one of the tracks - "Mommy decided to bang the Devil" or something like that :P

I suspect he had an album worth of industrial rockers but after the poor reception of OMG, he tossed all those songs into the vault. He has sort of alluded to this in some of those interviews he did in 2001 to Brazilian media. 

Not sure if he ever did an entire album but this is from the Axl chats with mention of the 'devil song'. lol  The title is even worse than you remember!

Quote from: yorch on Today at 12:07:05
I love Oh my God, but it really sounds like a demo, why? I'm sure we all would love a new version.

Because that's all it was, only at the time having just got it together only Jimmy Iovine knew that who wanted it to sell their soundtrack. I saw segments of the movie which were good. As a whole later not so much but it wasn't ready yet then. I did write an experimental piece inspired by the bits I'd seen called "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?" 

• Haha 2