A Perfect Circle Guitarist Says He 'Became Close' With Axl During Making Of 'Chinese Democracy'

From the late '99 RS interview:

Rose does point out that the expense will be less glaring if, as he expects, he gets another record out of the hours and hours of material he's committed to tape, possibly one that's even more industrial and electronica-influence than Chinese Democracy. ''I'd like to take some of the old Guns fans along with me gradually into the twenty-first century,'' he says. Along the way, assorted producers - including Youth (the Verve) and the loose lipped Moby (''I appreciate all the publicity he's been getting us, but shut up already!'') - have come and gone, though Rose and Beavan appear to have stuck up a productive partnership.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=30

It seems he was thinking of CD as a more "conservative" (relatively) album and the next one as more modern/"experimental".

Edited by Blackstar

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

From the late '99 RS interview:

Rose does point out that the expense will be less glaring if, as he expects, he gets another record out of the hours and hours of material he's committed to tape, possibly one that's even more industrial and electronica-influence than Chinese Democracy. ''I'd like to take some of the old Guns fans along with me gradually into the twenty-first century,'' he says. Along the way, assorted producers - including Youth (the Verve) and the loose lipped Moby (''I appreciate all the publicity he's been getting us, but shut up already!'') - have come and gone, though Rose and Beavan appear to have stuck up a productive partnership.

It seems he was thinking of CD as a more "conservative" (relatively) album and the next one as more modern/"experimental".

There was also this tidbit:

R&P: Is your new material more industrial? We hear that it is not very similar to that of your old band.

Axl: It is not industrial, the closest thing to that was perhaps Oh My God, but there are some songs that won't be on the album that were this way. There will be all kinds of styles, many influences as blues, mixed in the songs. But not so much inspiration of Aerosmith or AC/DC that was used on Appetite. Buckethead, his first influence and the reason why he grabbed a guitar for the first time was Angus Young of AC/DC. Several of the boys love to play AC/DC. It is only we will play other styles. When we tried writing songs in the old style of Guns N' Roses, they sounded too old, they didn't sound so alive. We could not make that. And I think that that also passed with the old Guns N' Roses. The songs composed by the boys for another album many years ago, everything sounded old. Then we tried to explore to maintain the band alive.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=38

So at the very least, the original tracklist for CD pre-End of Days could very well have had a handful of industrial rockers mixed in with more traditional fare. I thought OMG was a very strong song lyrically and musically - wish it had made it on Chinese Democracy. I always felt some of Scraped's verses were inspired by OMG. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

There was also this tidbit:

R&P: Is your new material more industrial? We hear that it is not very similar to that of your old band.

Axl: It is not industrial, the closest thing to that was perhaps Oh My God, but there are some songs that won't be on the album that were this way. There will be all kinds of styles, many influences as blues, mixed in the songs. But not so much inspiration of Aerosmith or AC/DC that was used on Appetite. Buckethead, his first influence and the reason why he grabbed a guitar for the first time was Angus Young of AC/DC. Several of the boys love to play AC/DC. It is only we will play other styles. When we tried writing songs in the old style of Guns N' Roses, they sounded too old, they didn't sound so alive. We could not make that. And I think that that also passed with the old Guns N' Roses. The songs composed by the boys for another album many years ago, everything sounded old. Then we tried to explore to maintain the band alive.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=38

Yeah, it's the transcript of the audio interview I posted earlier.

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

So at the very least, the original tracklist for CD pre-End of Days could very well have had a handful of industrial rockers mixed in with more traditional fare. I thought OMG was a very strong song lyrically and musically - wish it had made it on Chinese Democracy. I always felt some of Scraped's verses were inspired by OMG. 

He obviously had some songs like that. But who knows if he originally planned to have them on CD or keep them for another release.

By the time of the RS interview in late '99 Catcher, TWAT, IRS, The Blues and the title track were set for CD (they are mentioned in the article along with "Oklahoma") as well as Madagascar, so that leaves 5-6 songs he maybe hadn't picked yet.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Also from late '99:

Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time... 

[...] I don't want to be in a situation again where I have to depend on other people and have [to] start all over. So we have material that we think is too advanced for old Guns fans to hear right now and they would completely hate, because we were exploring the use of computers [along with] everybody really playing their ass off and combining that, but trying to push the envelope a bit. It's like, "Hmm, I have to push the envelope a little too far. We'll wait on that." So we got a list of things.

[...] It took working on the majority of these things and at least the couple albums' [worth] of material to figure out what should be on the first official Guns album. I wouldn't say it's like, you know, that we recorded a double album, or that we have all of our scraps to be the second one. There is a distinct difference in sound. The second leans probably a little more to aggressive electronica with full guitars, where the first one is definitely more guitar-based.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

A possible scenario is that he had 1-2 more songs like Silkworms and Bob Ezrin told him they weren't good so he abandoned them.

• Like 1