A stupid person doing something stupid to disprove science...

downzy

Apparently a guy in California is about to launch himself in a home-made rocket to prove that the world is flat.  Yep.

I mean, good on him for applying himself, but for this?  

Probably one of the funnier articles I've read in awhile:

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/a-man-is-about-to-launch-himself-in-his-homemade-rocket-to-prove-the-earth-is-flat

Some highlights:

• Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.  Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

• “It’ll shut the door on this ball earth,” Hughes said in a fundraising interview with a flat-Earth group for Saturday’s flight. Theories discussed during the interview included NASA being controlled by round-Earth Freemasons and Elon Musk making fake rockets from blimps.   Hughes promised the flat-Earth community that he would expose the conspiracy with his steam-powered rocket, which will launch from a heavily modified mobile home — though he acknowledged that he still had much to learn about rocket science. 

• “This whole tech thing,” he said in the June interview. “I’m really behind the eight ball.”

• Hughes isn’t a totally unproven engineer. He set a Guinness World Record in 2002 for a limousine jump, according to Ars Technica, and has been building rockets for years, albeit with mixed results. 

• Hughes only recently converted to flat-Eartherism, after struggling for months to raise funds for his follow-up flight over the Mojave.  It was originally scheduled for early 2016 in a Kickstarter campaign — “From Garage to Outer Space!” — that mentioned nothing about Illuminati astronauts, and was themed after a NASCAR event.

• “We want to do this and basically thumb our noses at all these billionaires trying to do this,” Hughes said in the pitch video, standing in his Apple Valley, Calif., living room, which he had plastered with drawings of his rockets.

• The Kickstarter raised $310 of its $150,000 goal.

mad_rocket_scientist.jpg?quality=60&stri

• Haha 3

My thoughts exactly, Downzy.  So many other ways to go well beyond 1800 feet...heck, he could just climb a small mountain and get higher.

The really tragic and sad part is that is if his rocket fails...and he perishes....the conspiracy theorists will make the entire thing some sort of conspiracy against them and turn him into a martyr for conspiracy theorists around the world.

Haha!  Did anyone else notice how the video imbedded in the National Post article begins with one of the rocket scientists not knowing how a video camera works or where to look to see whats being filmed?!  :lol:  

But seriously, if you dont understand backyard rocketry and one mans duty to debunk fake news then you dont understand liberty or the pursuit of happiness!!!  Yee-Haw!!!!

They called Jack Parsons (NASA JPL) and his crew the Suicide Squad, but I think these guys have em beat.

Edited by soon

The entire article had me laughing out loud.  My soon to pop pregnant wife has been having a rough day and reading this to her definitely turned her day around.  

Except for the fact that his guy will very likely die or injury himself, there is nothing unhumorous about this report.  

This reads like it's from The Onion instead of the Associated Press.

BTW, and I hate to say it (okay, maybe I don't), but this guy screams Trump voter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

The entire article had me laughing out loud.  My soon to pop pregnant wife has been having a rough day and reading this to her definitely turned her day around.  

Except for the fact that his guy will very likely die or injury himself, there is nothing unhumorous about this report.  

This reads like it's from The Onion instead of the Associated Press.

BTW, and I hate to say it (okay, maybe I don't), but this guy screams Trump voter.

When I read it I thought it had to be from the Onion...had to look twice to confirm it wasn't. :lol:

13 hours ago, downzy said:

The thing I find hilarious is that this "rocket" is only expected to climb 1800 feet.  Why not jump on a flight by Southwest for $100 and see the earth from 30k feet?

That wouldn't be nerdy enough

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Theres actual people that believe that bollocks?!?  Whats their membership, what, three blind octagenarians in a potato field in Idaho or something :lol:  

Recently it's undergone a kind of mad resurgence bolstered by a YouTube community:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/flat-earth-believers-youtube-videos-conspiracy-theorists

You've now got a bunch of mad fucknuggets going about writing "Research Flat Earth" on roadsigns around Scotland etc.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Recently it's undergone a kind of mad resurgence bolstered by a YouTube community:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/flat-earth-believers-youtube-videos-conspiracy-theorists

You've now got a bunch of mad fucknuggets going about writing "Research Flat Earth" on roadsigns around Scotland etc.

I've heard it mentioned a bit recently, buzzing around out there in the ether, I just don't pay attention to stuff that sounds boring.

23 hours ago, downzy said:

The thing I find hilarious is that this "rocket" is only expected to climb 1800 feet.  Why not jump on a flight by Southwest for $100 and see the earth from 30k feet?

Maybe air travel is fake too? I'm on flights 3 - 4 times per week usually.............OR AM I?

This is just one of those conspiracies for the utterly retarded. What possible benefit would there be for lying about the shape of the earth?

What exactly do they believe, that we're all on a single dimensional plane that has an edge you can fall off? If so, why don't they just go to the edge of that plane and find that actually it keeps going. I guess that would make them believe it's a cylindrical earth, so go north instead of West and check again.

Fucking retards.