Greta Van Fleet

Ace Nova

This is another of the many bands out there I wish I could like but I can’t. Clearly, they are talented kids, but they are not Zeppelin influenced... they are Zeppelin copies. The singer copies every aspect of Robert Plant, from the way he sings, to his stage moves, to the clothes he wears, and in the last video, apparently to his hair style. The song structures are basically identical, and as if that wasn’t enough, let’s throw in an extended, unnecessary drum solo for good measure. 

Look, I love Zeppelin, and I do think these kids are talented and sound good. That said, I hope they are in an identity crisis stage and that they come into their own. They have the skills for it, but it’s yet to be seen if they have the right formula. It’s not the 1970’s anymore. It’s not that that music should be buried, but it’s just not quite right out of context. I guess this band satisfies some people’s need for a long lost Zeppelin album that never was, but for me personally, I’ll leave Zeppelin to Zeppelin. I am looking for a newer, younger band with music you can tell will be timeless, but is fresh, and that has the potential for a 40-year career. All my rock stars are dying, and I need a new generation to keep me consuming music and attending concerts. 

These kids look like they are just out of high school, if that. If they are still around in 5 years, I’ll check then. Right now, they are trying too hard, which is completely understandable. I tried too hard in high school, too. Otherwise, they could probably make a decent living on the road as a quality Zeppelin tribute band. 

Edited by DirtyDeeds
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I like the songs I heard but have to agree with DD in that they sound like Led Zeppelin's kids started a band and raided Jimmy Page's demo archive..............

Sort of like Jason Bonham's Zep sound a like band when he was young....

GVF need to find their own identity as they are obviously talented but they won't be taken seriously if they continue down the Zep imitator road IMHO.....

That being said they are not the first to copy Led Zep..

remember these guys? the blow back they got for this song being a Zep rip off essentially ended their careers

Edited by classicrawker

• 2 weeks later...

Well yeah to reiterate whats been said basically too close to Zeppelin for me BUT they are young kids oozing with talent and should grow into their own skin soon enough, or of course they could be the next Wolfmother happy to be a retro rip off band. Hopefully they go down the path of say Tame Impala.... who you could pick a number of bands they sounded like early in their career, but developed their own unique thing as they went along.

Edited by Silverburst80

• 1 month later...

To me, this is good stuff!  I don't understand jumping on the bandwagon in 5 years if they're still around.  I like the sound, and I'm a fan now.  Two 21-year-olds, and two 18-year-olds?  That's phenomenal, and I'm sure they'll develop more of their own style as they progress.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/greta-van-fleet-on-led-zeppelin-influence-blues-roots-w515153

• Like 2

On 2/5/2018 at 7:08 PM, triad said:

To me, this is good stuff!  I don't understand jumping on the bandwagon in 5 years if they're still around.  I like the sound, and I'm a fan now.  Two 21-year-olds, and two 18-year-olds?  That's phenomenal, and I'm sure they'll develop more of their own style as they progress.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/greta-van-fleet-on-led-zeppelin-influence-blues-roots-w515153

The whole band is talented! I am really looking forward to them growing into their own style, but for now I will enjoy what they have done so far. They announced 2 more shows in May for Nashville and I bought tickets again. For $30 per ticket it is a really good deal.

They're good, I like the music they make on their own.

The irony being when it comes to actually playing Zeppelin covers, they're not that great from what I've heard so far. Singer's got the voice, but not a fraction of Percy's vibe, and for the band the music is like 10 or 20 per cent above their playing abilities at the moment.

Edited by moreblack

• 1 month later...

They are opening for Guns in June.

They are from about 20 mins away from my house. I've actually known about them for 4 or 5 years now. There was actually a time (due to close proximity, and musical styles) that my old band Foxy and the Hounds would get a some Greta Van Fleet compare and contrast talk going on. 

Anyways... I think people are being a little overly critical of them at times, sure they took a lot from Zep. But so what, that's a good place to look. Besides, didn't Zep take from people too? The fact that they are young, and actually playing rock and roll, I have to give them respect for. Honestly I hope they blow up, and help front a rock revival, at least here in America. 

The biggest thing they lack so far, is the songs. Don't get me wrong, I actually like their original music, but it sounds like good b sides type stuff. If they want to TRULY start a revolution, they need THAT song. Preferably more than 1, but 1 is a start. Take Jungle for example, the first time EVERYBODY heard that, they KNEW it was special. I don't see that type of song from them yet. Hopefully they can get one on this album. 

I'm rooting for them. 👍

• Like 2

If you like Greta Van Fleet, LISTEN up, lol.

To be honest with you guys, there WAS another band from the same parts in Michigan that I personally felt was better than Greta Van Fleet. I actually know the drummer. Anyways... They had more of an AC/DC kinda vibe, but they played mostly original tunes. They would throw in Mr. BROWNSTONE, The Ocean, and some AC/DC as well. I was looking for good videos to show you guys, but I can't find ANY that I HIGHLY recommend. Having said that, their guitar player IS the best one from Michigan that I've seen. He has more of an Angus and Slash influence.

Here are the best videos I could find. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

• 4 weeks later...

oh, the next led zeppelin clone

we already had wolfmother and rival sons before. What the hell are they doing these days? exactly.

but this is the worst offender of the lot. the singers copies Plant 1 to 1. it's cringeworthy. The drummer is nothing special. And as for the guitar player, at least he lets his guitar breath with space in his sound, i give him that.

What's up with these led zeppelin clones though? Where are the GNR, AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Doors clones? Led zeppelin has a great fanbase, agreed, but there is much more to copy out there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, action said:

oh, the next led zeppelin clone

we already had wolfmother and rival sons before. What the hell are they doing these days? exactly.

but this is the worst offender of the lot. the singers copies Plant 1 to 1. it's cringeworthy. The drummer is nothing special. And as for the guitar player, at least he lets his guitar breath with space in his sound, i give him that.

What's up with these led zeppelin clones though? Where are the GNR, AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Doors clones? Led zeppelin has a great fanbase, agreed, but there is much more to copy out there.

Agreed. They better come up with some originality soon, or they're going to pass like a fart in the wind. Then we'll have another one in about a year and a half.

I'm sure they're fun live and talented, but you should actually show that instead of mimicking a sound that's been driven so hard into the ground by other retro rock revival acts. It's so tired even by modern standards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think these guys are great. They have an AWESOME cover of A Change is Gonna Come on their album

I'm seeing tomorrow them night, i'll probably be the oldest there but i think they're really talented and worth being a bit out of place for :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I'm seeing tomorrow them night, i'll probably be the oldest there but i think they're really talented and worth being a bit out of place for :lol:

I bet you won't be the oldest there.  There will probably be a good mix of ages!  Looking forward to your review.  

• Like 1