Greta Van Fleet

Ace Nova

16 hours ago, janrichmond said:

@triad just got home! Amazing concert. A few pics (shitty quality i know)

IMG_1517.JPG

Like the old ad said, "I must be in the front row!"  Were you the oldest #grumpyoldwoman there?  :lol:  I'm so looking forward to seeing them this summer.  

On 4/5/2018 at 3:34 AM, Axeli said:

Who write the songs for them?

Interesting band..a bit too young guys still. Time will tell..

The GVF guys write their own songs.  

Edited by triad
Fixed the Bob Uecker quote. Had it wrong all these years, lol.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Just curious, I like them

The brothers (both guitar players) went to medical school, so that became more of their priority. But like I said, I think they still do the occasional gig. I've seen them 5 times or so, and I ALWAYS had a blast. The singer kinda has a Joshua Todd type voice imo (buckcherry). While musically they kinda fit somewhere along the lines of AC/DC, Metallica, Zeppelin and Appetite era Guns. So all in all, it's a pretty cool mix. With Greta Van Fleet gaining attention, I wish The Hangers On stuck it out a little while longer, because IMO, they were better. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

4 hours ago, triad said:

Like the old ad said, "I must be in the front row!"  Were you the oldest #grumpyoldwoman there?  :lol:  I'm so looking forward to seeing them this summer.  

Amazingly enough there were quite a few old gits like me :lol: It was like a GnR gig, a mix of young 'cool' kids and old rockers. It was sold out and there were people wanting tickets waiting outside and i know 1 bloke paid £100 to some young fan for his £15 ticket!! My bloke thought they sounded a bit like Zep and also Rush. It's great seeing them in a tiny venue ( 700 capacity) Enjoy your show hun, i know you will :headbang:

• GNFNR 1

On 6.4.2018 at 4:20 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

Maybe??? I know they are not super active anymore, but I think they do shows every now and then. Why?

http://gretavanfleet.com/tour

They have many gigs to come. Even here in Europe. Maybe see them in summer.

On 6.4.2018 at 6:33 PM, triad said:

The GVF guys write their own songs.  

Own writing! Respect! 

I know a lot of people like to rag on bands for sounding too much like "classic rock" bands...as mentioned previously in this thread with Wolfmother, GVF, etc....

But think about this....What is the actual musical style today, currently??? With the introduction of Itunes in the 00's, music became wide open. You didn't have to go to stores anymore to purchase the newest/most popular releases pushed at you, you could purchase anyone/from any era right on your computer (or pirate download, if that's your thing.)

Back to the point....the 80's had the introduction of Hip-Hop, New Wave, Hair Bands...the 90's had primarily Grunge, Gangster Rap, NuMetal....the 00's had a mix of Pop and "Emo" Bands, but the 2010's-Current has yet to have any type of over-whelming musical style/genre, other than this crappy "Pop Country." 

So why be so harsh on acts with a "retro" sound, since the musical door is wide open anymore??

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 3:33 PM, Kasanova King said:

Looks like Robert Plant is a fan.  When asked if he liked any "up and coming rock bands" he immediately mentions Greta Van Fleet...about 1:50 in the video....

Did you listen to it? He's not complimentary. He says he hates their singer.

21 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Did you listen to it? He's not complimentary. He says he hates their singer.

Yeah, jokingly (after the reporter said they were young) because the singer is young and has his voice.  He was very complimentary when he was being serious.  And he mentioned them specifcally after the reporter asked him if he liked any up and coming bands...basically called them Led Zeppelin I.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 6:11 AM, Kasanova King said:

Yeah, jokingly (after the reporter said they were young) because the singer is young and has his voice.  He was very complimentary when he was being serious.  And he mentioned them specifcally after the reporter asked him if he liked any up and coming bands...basically called them Led Zeppelin I.

He also pointed out that the singer (whatever his name is) claims to have "based his style on Aerosmith", then rolls his eyes. I'm not saying he didn't pay him a compliment - he said he had a "beautiful little voice" or something to that effect. It's quite true - he's a very talented singer with a great tone.

But... he also seemed quite frustrated by the degree to which GVF (particularly the singer) emulate the early Zeppelin sound. Close your eyes and that's straight up Robert Plant. All the little characteristics of his voice are there.

It seems that's the same response as a lot of people here have had. Obviously they are a great sounding band... the fact you could mistake these for Zeppelin tunes is a testament to that.

That's also the biggest turn-off to getting on board with them. There's stealing from single songs (Zeppelin lifted plenty of material in their time depending who you ask)... but these guys go a hell of a lot further than that.

It's even closer than the Airbourne-AC/DC comparisons and that's saying something. I'm not down with it.

39 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

He also pointed out that the singer (whatever his name is) claims to have "based his style on Aerosmith", then rolls his eyes. I'm not saying he didn't pay him a compliment - he said he had a "beautiful little voice" or something to that effect. It's quite true - he's a very talented singer with a great tone.

But... he also seemed quite frustrated by the degree to which GVF (particularly the singer) emulate the early Zeppelin sound. Close your eyes and that's straight up Robert Plant. All the little characteristics of his voice are there.

It seems that's the same response as a lot of people here have had. Obviously they are a great sounding band... the fact you could mistake these for Zeppelin tunes is a testament to that.

That's also the biggest turn-off to getting on board with them. There's stealing from single songs (Zeppelin lifted plenty of material in their time depending who you ask)... but these guys go a hell of a lot further than that.

It's even closer than the Airbourne-AC/DC comparisons and that's saying something. I'm not down with it.

:lol:

No bro...just because you don't care for them doesn't mean Robert Plant didn't compliment them.  :lol:

Out of the thousands of bands Robert Plant could have mentioned, he immediately mentions Greta Van Fleet.

Interviewer: "Are there were any up and coming bands you really, really like?'"

Robert Plant: "There's a band in Detroit called Greta Van Fleet.  THEY ARE LED ZEPPELIN I.  The kid looks like he just dropped out of a cut of.....he's a beautiful little singer"

Interviewer: "I've seen them, they're really really young"

Robert Plant (jokingly): "I hate them" 

Interviewer: " He's got such a huge voice that young fellow"

Robert Plant, still jokingly "Yeah, he borrowed it from someone I know"  (interviewer laughs)

Interviewer:"  Has he tried to meet you?"

Robert Plant, rolls eyes "No, he said he's based his style off of Aerosmith" :lol:

The entire interview is Plant reminiscing about his youth and his voice and  in that segment he is being light-hearted about his age now vs their age.   Pretty cool interview.

When one of the greatest singers in rock n' roll history mentions your band and your voice ,when asked who he "really, really likes", you know you have something good going.   Good for them, I hope they make it.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

:lol:

No bro...just because you don't care for them doesn't mean Robert Plant didn't compliment them.  :lol:

When one of the greatest singers in rock n' roll history mentions your band and your voice ,when asked who he "really, really likes", you know you have something good going.   Good for them, I hope they make it.

See, I don't think he's joking at all in any of those parts. I think he just used the interviewer's question as an opportunity to bring them up.

He compliments them - but the frustration is very clearly there when discussing the similarities. :shrugs:

You can insert all the laughing smileys you want, but if you actually read my post instead - you'd see I acknowledged that Plant compliments them in the same way many here have. Backhandedly.

7 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

See, I don't think he's joking at all in any of those parts. I think he just used the interviewer's question as an opportunity to bring them up.

He compliments them - but the frustration is very clearly there when discussing the similarities. :shrugs:

You can insert all the laughing smileys you want, but if you actually read my post instead - you'd see I acknowledged that Plant compliments them in the same way many here have. Backhandedly.

No, he really doesn't. Plant isn't going to mention them specifically out of the thousands of bands out there if he doesn't like them.  Plant was the one who brought them up, not the interviewer.   But whatever, think what you want....I'll laugh when they end up opening up for Plant next year...lol. 

(And they're already opening up for Guns in June...so someone within the Guns camp must like them too.....:ph34r:)

Edited by Kasanova King

15 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

Here's a previous interview where Plant talks about them:

Robert Plant revealed his admiration for rising-star band Greta Van Fleet, who have been described as potentially the next Led Zeppelin in multiple media outlets in recent years. In a wide-ranging interview with Louisville radio station 91.1WFKP, based on recent solo album Carry Fire, Plant discussed his current plans and future hopes – and once again veered away from Led Zep reunion talk. Listen to the interview below.

Asked by host Kyle Meredith about Greta Van Fleet, Plant said of frontman Josh Kiszka: “Is that the guy from Detroit? He’s pretty good. There’s a job somewhere for him.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/robert-plant-greta-van-fleet/